Newborn Feeding Patterns & Others (FTM)

One tip my lactation consultant gave me for damaged nipples was to mix a little hydrocortisone cream and any antibacterial wound ointment on your finger then apply sparingly to the nipple. She said not to worry about washing it off if baby didn't feed for a couple of hours otherwise just give your nipple a quick clean before feeding. It really helped cure my sore nips quickly.

I also agree with everyone breastfeeding shouldn't hurt so please try and see someone.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

We went to the hospital yesterday and it was so stressful for both me and baby for so many reasons that I actually forgot to inquire about a lactation consultant. But at least, there are two pieces of good news:
1- Baby was already back at birth weight.
2- The feeding doesn't hurt as bad anymore! PART of the pains were engorgement (as I've started to recognize now) and they aren't as bad anymore.

I mostly feed baby on demand but if 2-3 hours have passed since last time I wake her up. The past few days she fed for 20-40 minutes at a time. But after returning from the hospital she's been upset and cried a lot. She was hungry, and would latch on for a few suckles then let go again and cry. She nursed on and off between 3pm and 11.30pm. Then slept for longer than usual, it really worried me- but she's had the same number of dirty diapers so I don't think anything is really wrong. And now she is nursing for the usual 20-40 minutes. Is this the infamous cluster feeding? Or could it be just exhaustion/stress from being at the doctor's earlier?

Completely normal for them to feed for 20-40 minutes, or even longer tbh! It does settle down after a month or 2.
I've been sat here feeding DS for about half an hour now and he's still going :)

She fed for less than 15 mins every 15-20 minutes yesterday evening and was quite upset for most of the evening. Guessing this happens before a growth spurt?

Gosh! I'm so confused! She feeds for about 5 suckles and falls asleep. Then wakes up again 10 mins later for another 5 suckles and falls asleep again, this has been going on all day! But she did have maybe 2 or 3 of the longer (normal 20-40 min) feeds.

It's so difficult not to doubt myself and wonder if everything is okay. Is the 5 min feed thing normal?

Yeah that is cluster feeding and totally normal. Just let her do her thing and your milk supply will increase :)

Completely normal. Trust your body and trust your baby :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->