Newcastle Birthing Centre at RVI

yes Iam but being due in September and it being the busiest time of year am not holding my breath :( cant use it either if you have to be induced or under consultant led care...Not been given much info about it either...feel free to give me a message :) am in south shields xxx

Thought I'd post as I'd been looking for a review but as it's so new there's not a lot out there yet. I would say my experience was incredibly positive in the Birthing Centre. It was my first baby and I had a complication free and very fast labour.
Positives:
1) Birthing room was spotless. I hadn't planned a water birth but the pool room was available and as I was in such pain I thought I'd give the pool a try (bath at home had helped). The pool was fantastic. Loads of space and allowed me movement when contractions were nearly paralyzing me!
2) Midwife was calm, experienced and obviously trained in how to encourage natural birth. No pushing of extra pain relief (I only got gas and air when I specifically asked). Skin to skin straight after birth in the pool, late cord clamping and she asked if I wanted to try to deliver the placenta naturally in the pool without drugs which I did. Obviously painful but not stressful.
3) Silly thing but the 'mood' lighting in there really helped. Dim coloured lights so that when my baby was born he didn't have to suffer nasty overhead hospital lights!
4) Private bathroom and shower made such a difference! And having hubby crash next to me in bed made it feel more like a hotel :)

But as always I will have to tell you the things I wish had been different!
1) Going into labour, I phoned to tell them my contractions were 5 mins apart. I was told to wait as it was my first and would take longer and I'd be more comfortable at home. When I asked how long they said, 'until it is unbearable'. Hmm. Not the ideal time for a half hour car journey then is it? I was only in the hospital for 4 hours before I gave birth so felt they were a little too complacent about how much time I had before the birth, although it was unusually quick for a first child.
2) I gave birth at 4am. By 10am they were already asking if I wanted to be discharged that day. I don't think a first time mother who has been up all night and has given birth 6 hours ago really has a sense of whether they should be aiming to be discharged that day at that time. I felt rushed out.
3) The breast feeding support was a tick-box exercise. No midwife checked the latch of the baby and I had it subtly wrong (very common). This gave me super sore and cracked nipples and has led (I think) to mastitis in the first week. They need to invest in a lactation consultant on site or some extra midwives to do the rounds if they're serious about supporting breastfeeding in Newcastle. This is essential especially as they are so keen to kick you out quickly. DO NOT GO HOME until they have really checked your breast feeding technique. If you don't feel 100% happy with it, don't get discharged. This is your big chance to get it right and believe me you'll feel on your own with it after that! When I say check I mean really check, not just see that the baby is stuck to your nipple!! :)
Good luck and as I say I do recommend the birthing centre!

I would have loved to have given birth in the birthing center at the RVI, pool sounds like a nice calming experience as does the mood lighting!
However I am under the fetal medicine team at the RVI and I am booked in for a section...
Hope all you laides hoping to give birth there goes smoothly for you! :) xx

I am hoping to be able to use the birthing centre at the RVI so fingers crossed for not going overdue!! :) It is really good to hear someones experience as not many people I know have used it. Thanks

I really wanted to use this birthing centre at the RVI or the one at BIshop Auckland, but now I'm under the fetal medicine unit, they won't let me! Have to go to Darlington Memorial instead. :-(

Just seen that this had new replies. To update, I did give birth in the birthing centre and loved it but had a few probs after and was transferred upstairs. My birth story link is in my sig. Good luck to the mummies to be planning on gOing! Xx

Ahhh i've just came back from the tour. We loved it so we're getting transferred there from Rakelane. i'm a little concerned about the breastfeeding as I really don't want to feed any other way. we're just gonna hang out in costa if they're saying the pains gotta be unbearable, we aren't driving back and forth from whitley bay! ;) xx

I'm sure they will help with bfing if you ask. They didn't offer me any help once I got transferred upstairs but not sure what would have happened downstairs. The mws were all so lovely though and kept checking on me even after being transferred. Re the pain, you don't have to be in unbearable pain to stay, they go by how dilated you are. I went when I was 2cm and they examined me and sent me home, and I didn't go back til I was 7cm about three hours later(wouldn't advise waiting that long as the car journey was v uncomfortable.) I did pretty much get straight in the pool then though. It was bliss getting in it.

Eek I've missed posting over here, it's such an exciting time. Make the most of every minute coz you will miss it xx

I'd like to give birth at the new birthing centre but I have a sneaky feeling my MW will say I can't got my BMI is 35. I am seeing her tomorrow for 28 week check - finally- as I have not seen her yet due to trainees at my booking appt and 16 week check. I have few things to say to her and complain about!

I was under fetal med last time as my baby had a rare disease but even the upstairs care at RVI was fantastic. I'm at the Wansbeck in Ashington this time though as it's closer. Would love to hear from some of you local mummies though :)

Well I'd love to have tried it but my MW says my BMI is too high to attend as they don't take ladies woth BMI over 35 and mine is currently 36

this is an old thread! But i am planning to go to the birthing centre (hopefully very soon! ) :lol:

Be good to hear from other local mummies!

I'm RVI but will be in normal labour ward as I've been consultant led from the very start. I've heard very good things about the birthing centre though

I am tempted to try it.... my only concern is the pain relief... I had an Epijural last time and thought that it was fab. I know it wouldn't be an option in birthing centre... I'm torn.

x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->