News of the World- phone hacking scandal

DanielleM

Reaction score
Well when this story first broke it was mainly about celebs such as Sienna Millar having their phones hacked, which yes is an invasion of privacy, but was I really bothered, not really no.

Until recently when it was announced they had hacked into Milly Dowler's phone and actually deleted messages to make space for others and could of seriously damaged legal proceedings, I am absolutley disgusted.

It is also alleged that they could of interfered with Holly Wells and Jessica Chapman's phones. Also it has come to light that they may have hacked into servicemen and women that have died fighting for us, for our country.

I am so shocked by all of this when I put myself into the position of some of these parents having their childrens phones hacked after they disappeared and murdered, seriously they have been through enough!

David Cameron has said there will be a public inquiry into the scandal after legal ones.

What is your view on this? Do you think there should be a public inquiry?

Yeah there needs to be a public inquiry, I would also like Rebecca Brooks to step down, whether she knew about the phone hacking or not, she was in charge and she needs to take some responsibility for it.

I think journalists in general need tighter regulation, but having said that, the News of The World is just symbolic of where society is at today. They know that people are interested in reading scandals etc which is why they went to the lengths they did. I have lost a huge amount of respect for journalism in general, as there's alot of newsworthy stuff to report eg starving children, community heroes etc yet we are bombarded by celebrity affairs, weight gain/weight loss - I mean honestly. :shrug:

I think journalists in general need tighter regulation, but having said that, the News of The World is just symbolic of where society is at today. They know that people are interested in reading scandals etc which is why they went to the lengths they did. I have lost a huge amount of respect for journalism in general, as there's alot of newsworthy stuff to report eg starving children, community heroes etc yet we are bombarded by celebrity affairs, weight gain/weight loss - I mean honestly. :shrug:

Totally agree.

If people stopped buying the rubbish they print there'd be no market for it and it wouldn't happen, but instead, the rags get bought, and - lo and behold - more scandal comes out of how those hacks get their stories. Double scandal for everyone to oooh and aaah at :wacko:

:flower:

Good on the companies such as Ford and Orange who are pulling their advertising from an organisation who have such a blatent disregard to what is morally acceptable in the chase for a breaking news story.

I think there should be a public inquiry. People need to learn that their actions have consequences, especially when it comes to disregarding the feelings/rights of those who are grieving.

I also though before all this, that the takeover of Bskyb should be blocked, afterall we wouldn't let Tesco take over Adsa, the concept of a monopoly and all that. But now it should definately be blocked.

What I am confused about it is haven't that had the notes of the private investigator for quite some time now. Why is this only just coming to light?

Omg that is disgusting. How do they get away with it.
I agree with a public inquiry!

Yip. Agreed. TBH though, the lask of journalistic integrity on the News of The Screws doesn't really surprise me. You think it is bad in England, we actually have a weekly pull out which is full of gangland criminals and is little more than glorifying their lifestyles.

Honestly, I think the NotW are scum and deserve to be shut down over this.

Targetting celebrities was bad enough, but in their defense, the celebrities do choose to live their lives in the public eye and have to expect a certain loss of privacy. But targetting rape victims, murder victims, the families of the people killed in 7/7 - it crosses a criminal line. Not only should the people involved lose their jobs but they should be locked up too.

They deleted messages off Milly Dowler's phone to free up space to hear more - her poor family and friends were given false hope that Milly was still alive and was the one doing this. And not only that, the NotW actually published an exclusive interview with her parents talking about their hope, when it was their actions that had given her family false hope.

People need to stop buying this excuse for a newspaper and hit them where it hurts.

I have lost a huge amount of respect for journalism in general, as there's alot of newsworthy stuff to report eg starving children, community heroes etc yet we are bombarded by celebrity affairs, weight gain/weight loss - I mean honestly. :shrug:

Exactly, though ironically the hacking scandal is now pushing the famine in Eastern Africa further and further down the headlines :nope:

They deleted messages off Milly Dowler's phone to free up space to hear more - her poor family and friends were given false hope that Milly was still alive and was the one doing this. And not only that, the NotW actually published an exclusive interview with her parents talking about their hope, when it was their actions that had given her family false hope.

People need to stop buying this excuse for a newspaper and hit them where it hurts.

Oh my god I didn't realize they had interviewed them about it at the time! Although that does make sense because what would be the point of hacking otherwise. That is absolutely vile!

People need to boycott more than just the News of the World, The Times, The Sunday Times, The Sun and The Sunday Sun should be boycotted too, as well as Sky.

See I have never bought noW becaue I dont think its worth more than chip wrappings.

I do occasionally buy The Times and I watch Sky Tv. It does worry me how far these things are going into the sister companies :S I wouldnt like to think I was endorsing that kind of behaviour at all.

I didnt really care when it was celebrities or politians as I think their lives are in the public eye and theyre rights to privacy are self limited. However getting inbetween grief and the police is disgusting. It is not reporting journalism it is creating stories inorder to profit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733
This Sunday's issue of the News of the World will be the last edition of the paper, News International chairman James Murdoch has said.

No advertisements will run in this weekend's paper - instead any advertising space will be donated to charities and good causes.

I never for once thought this would happen, but in good taste! I dont think it will be much consolation to the families and people it has affected though.

Sorry but this is yet another cynical move by the Murdoch Corporation. They do not want to jeopardise the take over of BSkyB. Horrid man.

Lol. I had NO idea that Hugh Grant uncovered teh hacking

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14052690

On a lighter note: https://www.shepy.co.uk/blog/2011/07/had-to-be-done-news-of-the-world-404/

good riddance; in fact I wish they were forced to close all the news international rags (including The Times; just because its a broadsheet doesn't mean it isn't full of divisive half-truths particularly about ethnic and religious minorities). xx

I am more outraged that one man can own large chunk of UK media and be free to spout his poisonous views and successive MP's cosying up for fear of losing elections. Cameron has a golden opportunity to put and end to this one man reign by blocking his bid of BSKYB and enforcing sale of some of his other media, to allow competition...But I doubt the motion set to be voted in parliament on Wednesday will see to this.

good riddance; in fact I wish they were forced to close all the news international rags (including The Times; just because its a broadsheet doesn't mean it isn't full of divisive half-truths particularly about ethnic and religious minorities). xx

OT - Just noticed you are NTNP - yay for you.x

They will simply just change the name of the News Of The World and the front layout, everything else will be the same.
___XO

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->