NHS antenatal

T

tiggercats

How do you find out about these? My midwife is useless, I am just another number and I've been given no information about antenatal classes. I haven't been able to find the information on the net.

I have heard they are usually very busy and therefore not great for making friendships, but the alternative is a local private group whose dates are not suitable, or NCT which is expensive and one course is at 37 weeks (too late IMO) the other course has dates and times I cannot make because of work.

Hi hun,
I was supposed to be told about classes at my 16 week appt but midwife didnt mention it! Now 23 weeks and only just booked place for classes. I will be a bit further on than the other ladies in my group as i could only get the few avaiable dates left.
I would phone midwife today and ask what how you go about booking as u really should have been told already
Good luck
x

I didnt hear anything from MW till i was about 26 weeks, and there were girls in my class that must have heard at the same time as me but they were practicaly ready to drop!

Id say if you havent heard anything by 26 weeks then give them a shout x

Thanks, I'll have to try calling them then, although it would be easier to speak to the Queen than get hold of my MW.

I didn't find out about mine until 28 weeks, but MW had told me I didn't need to worry about them any sooner because they are all arranged in my local practice and they always make sure there are sessions for everyone... sorry your MW is being so rubbish. I would definitely ask.

As for not getting off work to go to classes, I thought they had to give you time off by law? If you are not getting NHS classes, then I think they would have to allow you time off to go to NCT or whatever. I decided the NCT ones were too expensive but that's mainly because I knew we would get pretty comprehensive info from the MW. If I hadn't been assured of that, I would rather pay for the NCT classes than not have anything.

Hope you get it sorted soon...

Work have to give you time off by law.

My classes start when i'm 37 weeks

just wanted to add that NCT have three different categories of discounts... ranging from 10% total which is what i qualified for and then there was 2 other bands above. they go by household income. i didnt see this advertised on the website though maybe try to email them and see if you qualify for a discount.
your employer has to let you go to either the NHS or the NCT ones, or maybe both who knows, good luck

Thanks again, I though you could only have time off for Dr's and MW appt when pregnant, I didn't realise it stretched to private antenatal (or NHS). I need to chat to HR at work anyway, everytime I've called over the hols she has been on hols (not surprising when she has 4 or 5 children). The list of people to call just gets longer.

I got a note in the pack my MW first gave me saying to book at 24-26 weeks but I don't actually start NHS classes until this Sat (5th) when I will be 33wks.

None of the classes seemed to clash with work but if it did then I would be allowed the time off, paid, just like my MW appointments. Any kind of antenatal care is covered.

Good luck :flower:

I work for NHS, so I don't know if we get extra benefits, but we're entitled to time off for "parent craft classes" too, so I think quite a lot of different things fall under that heading. :thumbup: My hubby also gets paid time off for all the appointments (he works for the NHS too).

It is great actually I get 6 months full pay maternity leave & then 6 month on SMP and Mo gets 2 weeks paternity leave.

And until the baby is 14 we can each have an additional 2 weeks paid "family leave" every year (on top of 33 days annual leave & 8 public holidays), and another 14 weeks unpaid "family leave" if we need it! And the annual leave I build up while on maternity leave is still mine to take when I go back to work!

Sometimes I really like working for the NHS :)

I'm a bit stressed about the whole antenatal class thing too. I was invited to classes about a month ago or so but i had to refuse as i was moving out of town and having to register with another midwive team. So far they haven't said anything to me about classes and i'm really hoping that it's not too late as i'm 33 weeks tomorrow :wacko:

I'm a bit stressed about the whole antenatal class thing too. I was invited to classes about a month ago or so but i had to refuse as i was moving out of town and having to register with another midwive team. So far they haven't said anything to me about classes and i'm really hoping that it's not too late as i'm 33 weeks tomorrow :wacko:

I'd give thema call and ask about classes hun. I didnt book mine until a couple of weeks ago and they squeezed me in for when im 37/38 weeks.

I'd give thema call and ask about classes hun. I didnt book mine until a couple of weeks ago and they squeezed me in for when im 37/38 weeks.

Thanks for the advice, hon. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if i can get them to squeeze me in. I'd really hate to miss out. I'm figuring that the more informed i am the easier it'll be when the time comes...i hope :)

I havnt got any info on the NHS ones either.. ill hopefully get to the GP to register etc on tues and then get refferred to midwife team and have a booking in appt up here and ask then, hope its not too late~!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->