NHS scan - they say I cant have scan if I have nuchal - advise please

fizz63

Reaction score
Hi girls

wonder if you can give me abit of advise. I am nearly 11 weeks and plan to have a nuchal scan in the next 2 weeks. My NHS 12 week scan letter arrived yesterday and it says that if I have had an early scan or a nuchal scan, then I must phone and cancel the NHS scan as I will not be rescanned.

This is my first baby and possibly my last (i am 38) and to be honest, I want to see my little bean as many times as possible. Also I think that if it is my choice to pay extra and have a nuchal scan - why should i forfeit my nhs scan which is surely my right to have.

just wondering if anyone else has been worried about this ? Do i just lie and tell them that I havent had a nuchal scan or should i try to arrange my nuchal scan shortly after the nhs one (so in fact i am not lying!) but the dates will be getting along abit by then for the nuchal.

any advice much appreciated as I am rather worried about this and dont want to lose out on my nhs scan. :shrug:

ps - i talked to my OH about this last night and he said "well just cancel the NHS scan then" ... but he doesnt understand that I want to see my little one as often as possible.

I don't really understand this hon - I had a dating scan last week due to the midwife wanting to check dates as I have along cylce. As I was 9 weeks they booked me in there and then for the nuchal in 2 weeks now and I've also recieved a date for the 20 week one through the post.

Can you call them and check? Seems odd to me that they're saying you can't have it.
Good luck!!!
(and agree with wanting to see it as often as poss - I've not had many symptoms and sometimes it's hard to believe there really is a little one growing in there!)

Have it after the NHS one, you only have 10 days to wait for that.

Then your not lying and you get 2 scans as you wish to have.

I am having an early one (third baby and i am nearly 40), and I will demand a twelve week one too!!!!!!!!!

xxx

I would withhold information!!

If you pay privately for a Nuchal scan that is your choice. It is important for you to have an NHS dating scan in order for your dates to be accurately calculated and recorded in your pregnancy notes.

How do they propose calculating when your anomaly scan is due or when you are full term if they do not carry out a dating scan and have a record of that scan??

I would organise your NHS scan and just do not tell them you plan to have a Nuchal scan.

Good luck!!

I was given the rule that if you have a scan after 10 weeks other than the 12 week one, you shouldnt get one.

But personally I wouldnt say nothing. No-ones lying then! And of course you can plead complete innocence.

I was one day over(only according to measurement) so I didnt say anything and got a 12 week one too!

Edit: Was your previous scan private? Then i would say its got sod all to do with the NHS and I would certainly NOT say anything!

I don't really understand this hon - I had a dating scan last week due to the midwife wanting to check dates as I have along cylce. As I was 9 weeks they booked me in there and then for the nuchal in 2 weeks now and I've also recieved a date for the 20 week one through the post.

Can you call them and check? Seems odd to me that they're saying you can't have it.
Good luck!!!
(and agree with wanting to see it as often as poss - I've not had many symptoms and sometimes it's hard to believe there really is a little one growing in there!)

Hi chatts. I wonder if you are having a nuchal scan with the nhs ? mine is a private one and therefore they are staying if i pay for a private nuchal then i cant have a nhs 12 weeks - does that make sense.

The thing is though, with having 2 Nuchal scans it could give you conflicting results.

I would withhold information!!

If you pay privately for a Nuchal scan that is your choice. It is important for you to have an NHS dating scan in order for your dates to be accurately calculated and recorded in your pregnancy notes.

How do they propose calculating when your anomaly scan is due or when you are full term if they do not carry out a dating scan and have a record of that scan??

I would organise your NHS scan and just do not tell them you plan to have a Nuchal scan.

Good luck!!

I feel the same - if i am forking out £195 for a private scan, why should i miss out on my nhs one. The only reason I am going for a private nuchal scan is because my nhs dont offer that ! if they did - i wouldnt be going privately. In the letter it says that if i cancel (due to having a private scan) then i will be given an anatomy appt (not anomaly) - what is an anatomy appt ? and how will they date me if i had cancelled this 12 week can anyway ?

i had a couple of private scans, and i certainly didn't mention this to the nhs, i saw how funny my mw got with me when i even mentioned private scans, tbh honey, it's no one's business but yours, i just wouldn't say anything, after all, everyone is entitled to the nhs scans, regardless on what you choose to pay for x

The thing is though, with having 2 Nuchal scans it could give you conflicting results.

confused ! i am not having 2 nuchal scans. I am having one privately and the nhs one is a dating 12 week scan (not nuchal)

By the way, if i dont tell the hospital about the nuchal scan - will they not think it odd that i am not having any testing for downs at all ? do some poeple not have any tests. I am concerned they may try to get me to have the triple test (maybe coz of my age - 38), which i wont need if i have had the nuchal

I didn't even know private scans were an option if you're planning an NHS birth? Is the private nuchal one meant to be better than the NHS one?

in my area, you have only a 12 weeks scan, then the later one (20 wks is it?) and they offer you the triple test. There is no nuchal scan on the nhs in my area - thats why i am going to a private scanning clinic.

Fizz - they will not find it strange that you do not opt for Downs screening.

I have already told my midwife that I do not wish to have any screening for Downs for my own personal reasons and she was absolutely fine with that.

No-one can make you or coerce you into having any kind of screening test during your pregnancy, it is all about the lady and her partner making an informed choice regarding their pregnancy and no healthcare professional should ever give you their opinion on what you should do.

Private nuchal scan is absolutely no different from NHS one, the problem is that as a screening tool the government and NHS have been trying to implement nuchal scans for all pregnant women since 2005. The main issue is that a Nuchal scan is quite different to a dating scan in that it takes longer, the baby needs to be in a very specific position and requires a great deal of expertise on the part of the sonographer to achieve an accurate measurement.

There is a national shortage of sonographers and not enough money is being put into the NHS in order for the increase in demand for scans to be met. Unfortunately whether or not you are offered a nuchal scan is a postcode lottery. Some NHS trusts offer Nuchals to everyone, some to high risk pregnancies and some don't offer to anyone. If you want to pay privately for a nuchal scan you go ahead if your NHS hospital does not offer it.

I will now get off my soap box (yes I am a sonographer!!) hope this helps you ladies a little bit as the whole screening and ultrasound thing can be quite confusing.

:hugs::hugs:

When you have private scans you have to sign a document to agree that its not a medical examination and will not replace you NHS scans so I'd just not tell the NHS, private scans are for your own peace of mind :hugs: xxx

Fizz - they will not find it strange that you do not opt for Downs screening.

I have already told my midwife that I do not wish to have any screening for Downs for my own personal reasons and she was absolutely fine with that.

No-one can make you or coerce you into having any kind of screening test during your pregnancy, it is all about the lady and her partner making an informed choice regarding their pregnancy and no healthcare professional should ever give you their opinion on what you should do.

Private nuchal scan is absolutely no different from NHS one, the problem is that as a screening tool the government and NHS have been trying to implement nuchal scans for all pregnant women since 2005. The main issue is that a Nuchal scan is quite different to a dating scan in that it takes longer, the baby needs to be in a very specific position and requires a great deal of expertise on the part of the sonographer to achieve an accurate measurement.

There is a national shortage of sonographers and not enough money is being put into the NHS in order for the increase in demand for scans to be met. Unfortunately whether or not you are offered a nuchal scan is a postcode lottery. Some NHS trusts offer Nuchals to everyone, some to high risk pregnancies and some don't offer to anyone. If you want to pay privately for a nuchal scan you go ahead if your NHS hospital does not offer it.

I will now get off my soap box (yes I am a sonographer!!) hope this helps you ladies a little bit as the whole screening and ultrasound thing can be quite confusing.

:hugs::hugs:

thanks cantwait4bump. I really appreciate your detailed post. It is a worry and i dont want to miss out on my nhs scans just coz i am choosing to fork out for a private nuchal one. I have just arranged my nuchal one for a few days after my 12 week scan, so that way i dont need to lie as such coz i will not have had a nuchal at that time. Do you know with the nuchal private ones if they give you the result the same day ? and should i just outrightly say to the nhs should they ask me that i havent had an early scan (which i had, again privately and paid for by me)? i presume there is no way that they can check ?? sorry for being such a worry wart !

also seen as you are a sonographer and seem to know about these things - do you recommend the nuchal with bloods or just the nuchal ? i have heard on here that its better the pay the extra and have bloods as well - but just wondered what you thought on this ?

no problem Fizz - am glad to offer advice when I can :flower:

I would not tell NHS you have had an early scan if everything was fine then frankly it is none of their business if you choose to have a private scan for reassurance and no they cannot find out from a private company if you have had a scan. (your appt for nuchal after NHS dating scan is good idea then you do not have to lie :winkwink:)

having the blood test along with your Nuchal scan is proven to be the most statistically reliable method of screening for Downs. If you are having the scan done you may as well go the whole hog and have the bloods as well at least then you know in your own mind you have done everything you can to get a accurate result. If you have the bloods done you will probably not get the results the same day (bloods will be sent to lab)

Hope this helps - good luck with all this am sure it will be fine :thumbup:

I dont see what it has to do with them?? If your trust doesnt offer NT scanning you have every right to pay for a private one. It's bugger all to do with them what you chose to spend money on. My MW was aware I'd be getting an NT again this time and booked my 12 wk scan fine and we agreed there was no point having the triple test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hollie200
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->