NHS scan - they say I cant have scan if I have nuchal - advise please

im fairly sure the 12 weeks nhs scan includes a nuchal mesurements etc.. as standard if your dates say you are between 10 and 13 weeks( unless you opt out of course) if they discover that you arnt quite there yet they should ask you to come back
i agree that i wouldnt tell them though :) but i would double check that the nuchal scan isnt included in what they have told you is 12 week dating scan as you may not need to pay for the private one after all. (of course it could be different in your area like you say, but my nuchal measurements were taken in the dating scan)

im fairly sure the 12 weeks nhs scan includes a nuchal mesurements etc..

Not ALL NHS trusts do nuchal scanning. It's not standard in the UK. I wish to goodness it was because I've spent £400 on scans for my last two pregnancies.

Nuchal scanning is not just about the measurement. The measurement of the nuchal means absolutely nothing on its own!!

The nuchal measurement is inputted into a specific computer programme which calculates a risk factor which is extremely specific to your baby on that day. What i mean is a nuchal measurement of 2mm on a fetus measuring 46mm is completely different to that measurement on a fetus measuring 68mm, the programme also takes into account the mother's age, previous pregnancies etc etc.

Measuring the nuchal at the dating scan but not calculating the risk using the computer programme does not give you any information.

The letter will be referringto other NHS scans, say for example... an early scan if you were bleeding and went to the EPU

I wouldn't mention the private scan....has nothing to do with them what you pay for with your own money:nope:. I am wondering though why you don't just have an NHS Nuchal Fold scan?:shrug:

Good luck:kiss:

Hi girls

wonder if you can give me abit of advise. I am nearly 11 weeks and plan to have a nuchal scan in the next 2 weeks. My NHS 12 week scan letter arrived yesterday and it says that if I have had an early scan or a nuchal scan, then I must phone and cancel the NHS scan as I will not be rescanned.

I got the same letter, I'm not having a Nuchal, but am having an early scan as my Doctor said I would also get a 12 weeks scan, but I don't think that letter says that. Now I'm annoyed as I would rather have a 12 week scan so I know all is well at the end of the 1st tri. Seriously what are they doing? Having cut backs? :devil:

In your case surely your notes will tell them if you had a Nuchal, so probably best not to lie to them.

I am wondering though why you don't just have an NHS Nuchal Fold scan?:shrug:

Am I talking to myself????

](*,)

Not every NHS trust offer them!! :hissy:

That's why I had to go private.....TWICE!

:p

I am wondering though why you don't just have an NHS Nuchal Fold scan?:shrug:

Am I talking to myself????

](*,)

Not every NHS trust offer them!! :hissy:

That's why I had to go private.....TWICE!

:p

Oi Mrs Hormones....my pooter wouldn't load the other page and I couldn't read it so asked that without reading right through:bike:

Hi girls

wonder if you can give me abit of advise. I am nearly 11 weeks and plan to have a nuchal scan in the next 2 weeks. My NHS 12 week scan letter arrived yesterday and it says that if I have had an early scan or a nuchal scan, then I must phone and cancel the NHS scan as I will not be rescanned.

I got the same letter, I'm not having a Nuchal, but am having an early scan as my Doctor said I would also get a 12 weeks scan, but I don't think that letter says that. Now I'm annoyed as I would rather have a 12 week scan so I know all is well at the end of the 1st tri. Seriously what are they doing? Having cut backs? :devil:

In your case surely your notes will tell them if you had a Nuchal, so probably best not to lie to them.

Ria you are obviously in a different NHS trust than Fizz (postcode lottery) no NHS trust in the UK has the same ultrasound protocol.

Just to give you an example:
I had a scan at 5 weeks (previous ectopic), another at 7 weeks to check for heartbeat and will have one at 12 weeks for dating. My best friend however (different NHS trust) cannot get her 1st scan till 16 weeks!! Does not make any sense does it??? :wacko::wacko:

If your GP says you will get an early scan and a 12 week then thats what will probably happen.

If your GP says you will get an early scan and a 12 week then thats what will probably happen.

Think she might be a bit out of touch. Really tempted to ring them next week and ask. Because otherwise I might try to get it moved back - as much as I want to see LO ASAP, I think the reassurance of ending 1st tri with a scan.

I guess I have a doppler I could use for reassurance, but 11 weeks seems like a long wait between scans :cry:

i'm sorry but it is none of their business what you do privately. u r entitled 2 your nhs care. i have been 4 an early scan (private) and may go 4 a nuchal scan but that has no bearing on my hospital scan. it's like being punished 4 paying 4 a bit of piece of mind. i say don't tell them about the nuchal scan, if it is done in a private clinic then there's no way they can find out can they?

Well I have my nhs scan next monday and I have booked my nuchal scan for the Friday that week ... so i am therefore not lying when i have my 12 week scan coz i wont have had the nuchal.

I saw my midwife today and she asked me about nuchal/triple etc and i just said i hadnt decided as yet. I feel its abit sad that i have to withhold information just to be treated fairly by the NHS.

By the way does anyone know if my age (38) will automatically class me as high risk with the nuchal scan results ? is age taken into acct ?

I dont think it will. I was 36 when i had DS and it was no problem.

My neighbour is 42 and has not been classed as high risk but it probably varies throughout the country?

xxx

I am in the states and I am considered high risk just due to my age being 38 and past MC. I have my NT scan scheduled on the 27th of OCT so will see. I am not too worried about being high risk, I am getting a little more attention then others so it works for me lol My sister and cousin both had kids in the 40's and they are perfectly healthy children.

Well I have my nhs scan next monday and I have booked my nuchal scan for the Friday that week ... so i am therefore not lying when i have my 12 week scan coz i wont have had the nuchal.

I saw my midwife today and she asked me about nuchal/triple etc and i just said i hadnt decided as yet. I feel its abit sad that i have to withhold information just to be treated fairly by the NHS.

By the way does anyone know if my age (38) will automatically class me as high risk with the nuchal scan results ? is age taken into acct ?

Incidence of Down Syndrome with Increasing Maternal Age
Maternal Age at Delivery

Risk at Term
32 1/725
33 1/592
34 1/465
35 1/365
36 1/287
37 1/255
38 1/177
39 1/139
40 1/109
41 1/85
42 1/67
43 1/53
44 1/41
45 1/32
46 1/25
47 1/20
48 1/16
49 1/12

With the nuchul and blood test results then they are able to give you an overall risk assessment.

Going back to the original post, I wouldnt tell them. Have both scans and enjoy seeing your baby twice!

I've had a private scan and have decided not to tell my mw in case it affects my NHS scans. If I was you I'd have both, and not tell your mw.

I am having a private Nuchal Fold Scan on Friday with bloods taken and will get the results on Tuesday and then I have my NHS 12 week dating scan the following Friday. As far as I am concerned they are for two different purposes and my NHS trust doesn't do the nuchal scan. I won't say anything about the private scan til I see my midwife at 16 weeks to have my bloods taken for the Downs Syndrome and Spinabifida testing then I will tell them the ratio I had for Downs. I am over 41 therefore the Downs testing is important to me but I still want my NHS notes to have accurate dates for the remainder of my pregnancy to be based on.

As far as I am concerned what I do privately is my business as long as it doesn't interfere with anything the NHS does. We are planning to have a sexing scan done privately at about 22 weeks to let my DS see the baby but that doesn't rule me out from having the 20 week anomoly scan as its also for a different purpose.

Sorry climbing off my soapbox but it does annoy me that the NHS will penalise people for getting tests privately that they don't provide in some areas and do in others - so much for equality for all!!!!

(My partner works for the NHS and agrees entirely with my rantings on this but maybe he just does that to keep the peace at the moment lol)

My NHS trust only offers Nuchal Testing to women that will be 40 when they give birth, women having twins or women that have previously had a baby with Downs Syndrome. My MW told me yesterday that they are trying to change the guidelines so all ladies 35 and over can have NT. However, aged 31 and this being my first pregnancy there will still be no NT for me.

I will be offered the triple test at 16 weeks and I think I will opt for this. My MW says that the triple test and NT are more-or-less as accurate as one another but NT is completed that bit earlier - is this everyone elses understanding too?

If I did choose to have a private scan or NT testing I would not tell either - I have been paying my NI contributions for more than half my life so I think I have more than paid for my 2 standard NHS scans!!

My NHS trust only offers Nuchal Testing to women that will be 40 when they give birth, women having twins or women that have previously had a baby with Downs Syndrome. My MW told me yesterday that they are trying to change the guidelines so all ladies 35 and over can have NT. However, aged 31 and this being my first pregnancy there will still be no NT for me.

I will be offered the triple test at 16 weeks and I think I will opt for this. My MW says that the triple test and NT are more-or-less as accurate as one another but NT is completed that bit earlier - is this everyone elses understanding too?

If I did choose to have a private scan or NT testing I would not tell either - I have been paying my NI contributions for more than half my life so I think I have more than paid for my 2 standard NHS scans!!

I have done quite abit of research into this .... and the triple test results are only 65% accurate whereas the nuchal on its own is 89% and the nuchal + bloods is about 94%. my midwife confirmed that the triple test is a poor success rate and recommended i had the nuchal privately.

thanks for all your comments girls ... i will let you know how i get on with my results next week.

Really useful thread - thanks ladies. I have been wondering exactly the same and now I am informed much more! I will pay for the Nuchal test privately - it is not offered on the NHS in my area - and take as many of the NHS tests that are offered. I am 38 and want to be as informed as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->