Niamh Daisy-Born at home on 25/11/08 *Pics finally added*

bex

Our little princess
Reaction score
Here is my wonderful homebirth story.

On the 24th november my midwife came to do a sweep as i was 9 days overdue. She tried for quite a while but was unable to do it as my cervix was so high, i was gutted and agreed to induction on the 29th.

At 2am on the 25th i started to get some niggly pains, but because i'd been niggling for weeks thought nothing of it and went back to sleep, thinking it was another false alarm!

At 5am we decided to time the pains and they were 12mins apart but i still didn't think it was anything and tried to sleep again.

At 6:30am i got in the shower and the pains were about 10 mins apart and getting a bit painful.

At 8am i finally admitted that yes, i was in labour. I rang the labour ward to tell them and at 8:15am a midwife rang to say she'd ring the another midwife to come to me and she'd go for the gas and air.

At 8:30am my midwife rang to say she'd just got out of the shower but would be with me asap, at this point the contractions were getting very painful and were about 3 mins apart.

My midwife arrived at 9am and the penny finally dropped and i realised that my baby was going to be born that day.

At 9:40am another midwife arrived with the gas and air, she'd got stuck in the rush hour traffic, which is why it had taken her so long. After being in alot of pain the gas and air felt wonderful and really helped me to relax.

My baby wasn't coming down as quickly as the midwives would have liked so they made me get up and sit on the loo to help her move down. I really didn't want to move off the bed as my back was killing me, but changing position worked and when i got back on the bed at about 11am my midwife checked me for the first time and i was fully dilated.

I started pushing and at 11:12am weighing in at a healthy 8lb 12oz Niamh was born and passed straight to me.

I'm embarrassed to admit that i had no tears or grazes!

By 11:45am i was tucked up in my own bed with Niamh having skin to skin and thats where we stayed till tea time, it was wonderful.

I can honestly say that i would recommend a homebirth, it was the most wonderful experience, my OH thought it was amazing aswell and he never left my side all day.

Unfortunately, we ended up in hospital with Niamh. On the 27th november we took Niamh to the doctor for a new baby check. I told the doctor she hadn't fed and was unable to latch on the breast. My midwife had wondered if she was tongue tied, so the doctor said he would look.

A few minutes later my happy bubble burst when my doctor said he thought that there was a problem with Niamhs mouth and we were sent straight to the hospital, i was devastated.

At the hospital it was revealed that Niamh had Pierre Robin sequence, which means she has a small jaw, normal size tongue and a very large cleft palate. Her palate can be repaired at 9 months, but at the moment the biggest worry is her breathing, as her tongue sits very far back in her mouth and often blocks her airway.

We are now home with Niamh. We have to tube feed her every 3 hours as pierre robin babies get tired very easily so she is only allowed 2 30ml oral feeds a day.

We have a long road ahead of us but hopefully Niamh will have her operation at 9 months, her jaw will get bigger as she grows and her breathing will then improve, then the tube can be removed.

Everyone keeps sayig things could be worse, but when you think for 2 days you have a healthy baby and then a bombshell is dropped on you that she isn't healthy, its really hard to deal with. To hear your tiny baby scream while she is pinned down to have her tube fitted and have tests is heartbreaking. But she will get better.

Congratulations to everyone who has had there babies recently, i will catch up with you all very soon xx
https://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp35/knap26/DSC02737.jpg https://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp35/knap26/DSC02742.jpg https://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp35/knap26/DSC02791.jpg https://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp35/knap26/DSC02852.jpg

Congrats Becca. I was lucky to see a picture of her and she's beautiful - cant wait for more pics.xxx

:hug:

Congratulations hun :) cant wait to see piccies of her!!

Well done you - what a lovely birth story! Sorry about the problems you experienced afterwards. I hope things work out the way they should. I can't wait to see piccies!!
Congratulaions x x

congratulations hun, very jelous you got your homebirth! I was so clsoe to it but no midwives were free to come out :-( xxx

congratulations, I'm sorry to hear about your hard time after the birth and I hope everything works out Ok for you all x x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->