Nickname opinions...??

Mom2Hope

Reaction score
So we found out at 12 weeks that it was very highly possible our little one was a boy and this wonderful news was confirmed as pure baby boy just before 19 weeks...We had his name all picked out...Benjamin Edward (name meaning is "Son of the right hand" and "Blessed guardian"...

here is my dilemma...I don't want to use the typical nickname Ben, Benny, Benji...

I was thinking more along the lines of calling him "B"...but that too seems so plan...I have 2 step children and my daughter is already super excited...my son on the other hand is (not that he isn't excited) mildly autistic and therefore most times seems to just not care whether he is involved or not in the new baby happenings but I want both of the kiddos to feel a part of all of this...well today he says can I call him "BJ"...I kind of like it...and two of the main syllables in the name have the B and J sounds...so I am just wanting opinions on whether or not others think BJ is an appropriate nickname for the name Benjamin...

Arghh...lol...frustrating and it should be I know this all seems silly because most times nicknames kind of just have a way of forming themselves once you meet your little one and get to know their personality, etc...for some reason though I am obsessed with this nickname business because I was tortured throughout elementary from my family nickname and I desperately want to avoid conflict over names and nicknames with school relations (which is also waaaay down the line)

OH MY lol this turned in to a long novel and it was meant to be a little short question to get opinions...sorry guys...would still love your input though...

Thanks

I have a Q (Quinn) so I don't see where calling him B would be different.. BJ is a bit of a stretch in my mind but you can always say his brother gave him the nickname and it stuck :) that's where a lot of nicknames come from that aren't the norm.

That said I personally shy away from the nickname BJ. DH was a BJ growing up. He told his Kindergarten teacher.. that isn't my name, so at school he never was, but when his friends would hear his sister say it, they would razz him a lot. He says it doesn't really bother him, but his whole attitude changes when someone makes rude comments.

I dunno, I automatically thought of BJ as in blow-job. When he gets to school there's a chance that if they hear he's called BJ at home they'll take the piss.

If noone thinks of that though then it's just the same as TJ, CJ and RJ

Ok bj is a noooo....I had not thought of those instances and it makes me think differently on that choice for sure....thanks girls....

BJ would be more a reason for bullying than almost anything else... I personally think Benji is cute

B would make me think Bea - like a little girls name

you could cross Benjamin and Edward to for something like Beddy?

I love the name Benjamin I just don't like any of the typical nicknames...unfortunately having been the target of bullies when younger due to my nickname it is something I want to avoid at all cost...I like benji but don't want to use it because I don't want people relating him to a dog...I loved the movies but he is a boy not a dog...goodness nicknames are frustrating sometimes lol...honestly while I wanted something different from Ben....it seems to be the safest route to go...but who knows maybe something will come along later after he is born...my cousin nicknamed her little boy Tailgate...not for partying reasons but because he is the end of her line of kiddos...and it has nothing to do with his name...so maybe we will luck out with something like that :)

thanks everyone...

I love the name Benjamin I just don't like any of the typical nicknames...unfortunately having been the target of bullies when younger due to my nickname it is something I want to avoid at all cost...I like benji but don't want to use it because I don't want people relating him to a dog...I loved the movies but he is a boy not a dog...goodness nicknames are frustrating sometimes lol...honestly while I wanted something different from Ben....it seems to be the safest route to go...but who knows maybe something will come along later after he is born...my cousin nicknamed her little boy Tailgate...not for partying reasons but because he is the end of her line of kiddos...and it has nothing to do with his name...so maybe we will luck out with something like that :)

thanks everyone...

lol guess it must be a country thing as I never heard a dog called Benji but the in the UK the famous fire safety dogs (taken round school to teach children fire safety) is a Labrador called Ben

I had a friend called Benjamin... just Benjamin with no nick name

JJKCB I love the name Benjamin which is what I will call him...but others want a cute family nickname...and all I care is that it is a "safe" nickname :) Benji is a little mutt of a dog that goes on adventures...it was a series of movies from the 80's filmed in texas from the U.S. so I understand if you haven't heard of it...

Would Benja be a possibility? Or BenJ (Ben-jay)

Or maybe you could try to use other parts of the name rather than the beginning?

Jam/Jamjam?!
Nim (last letters backwards?)

.....just pushing the boundaries here lol

or just call him baby boy and be done with it. I do! :haha:

I'd avoid bj if you don't want him laughed at!
I reckon he'll pick his own, I shortened my name at 11 and have been that ever since, most people have no idea it's not my 'full' name.

Well you are right indi, kids do have a way of throwing there thoughts in the midst and helping to pick their own...my worry was that before he can, crawl or walk or talk someone in the family would give him a name he is stuck with...like mine was "Melly" it was my nick name before I was even born my mother had determined it...so all through school it was "smelly melly"...I hated it...By Junior HIgh and High School I had managed to lose that and just go by Mel...but I would like to avoid elementary torture/early jr. high as while kids are wonderful they can also be cruel to one an other...

Pippi I actually like Jam and BenJ using the letter sound...thanks...pushing limits equals unique so that is fine...

Great name. Biased I know as I have a Benjamin. He does go by Ben most of the time which is fine by me. Unless I use his full name I tend to call him Ben-Ben, Benbow or Button (from Benjamin Button). Hth

oh I like button...that is adorable...I also love that movie...thank you all for all of your suggestions...you have all been very helpful :)

Aww smelly Melly is cruel poor you! Before I changed mine (Rosemary) we had a lesson on herbs at school and how nice Rosemary smells. Thanks teacher, I had kids say for ages, Rosemary smells! I was Rosie pretty damn fast after that!

I'm so sorry, I hope you can see the humor in this...
I had read this thread thinking "Oops BJ, yeah no good..." but saw that you realized it as well so I didn't add my reply. I just came across this though and immediately thought of this thread and couldn't help sharing :haha:

Attachments

• bj.jpg
    bj.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 4
No worries hon it is funny in the sense that the boy can see the honest mistake and humor in it....

Rosemary is a beautiful name kids can just be cruel..wonderful kittle children but so many dont realize how their words hurt others....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->