Nickname vs full name?

CeriB

Reaction score
Hi all :wave:

After many discussions, me and DH have happened upon a name we both like! Hooray!!!

However!!! Theres always a however!

The name we like is Max. My however is that I prefer a full name to a nickname and DH the opposite. The only full names I can think of for Max are Maxwell, Maximus and Maximilian. I like the first and last one and DD loves Maximus (the horses name in Tangled!) DH would like Max as a stand alone name.

I just need some other opinions I think! Thanks :flower:

Hi. Not much advice but didn't want to read and run, surely if you guys can agree on one of the full names then max can be his nickname?
Not sure if it works for you guys but possibly put the names in a bowl and let a different person pick the paper out?

I love the name Max, just Max. I also like Maxwell. But I prefer to just name my kids what I'll want them called. I also named my daughter Alex, but I like my kids to have neutral names.

I definitely favor giving a formal name so they have options as they get older, but Max isn't too juvenile to stand alone, if you're really at an impasse.

I will say, we haven't had any problems with or Theodore. Everyone just calls him Teddy or Ted, no confusion.

I always prefer more formal names with the nickname option. I like Maxwell!

I think Max is a standalone name too. It's not like Liz or Andy that are just nicknames.

I'd say if you are set on always using the nickname Max, I would just name him that. This way when he gets to school he won't always have to correct his teachers. I have a friend with a Max and one with a Maximus. They actually call Maximus by his full name often though also use the nickname.

Really I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I don't see the point of giving a long name if it will never be used.

I'd just name him Max if I were you.

My partner is a Maxwell and he said he would hate to be just a Max for formal reasons. He likes to use Maxwell for job applications and people always comment on his name and remember it. I usually call him Max though :)

Thank you! Maxwell is my fave so I'm hoping that sticks!

Great to have some opinions and first hand experiences :flower:

Love Maxwell and use Max as the shortened version!

My nephew is Max and I get the impression they wish they had named him Maxwell or Maximus rather than just Max as you can always shorten it. Very exciting you and your DH have decided on a name!

My partner and I are the opposite. I'd rather use a name we are going to call our little one but he likes a full name we can shortern! But for me, it's both our child and we agree on the nickname, so I'm happy to go with a full name to shortern. Hopefully your OH will agree.

I like Max a lot and I'd def go with Maxwell as a full name option over the other choices personally :)

We went for Zachary knowing he would only ever really be known as Zach among us. I wanted his adult self to have the option of sounding more professional or even just of choosing to call himself something a bit different for whatever reason. It just wouldn't have felt 'proper' to me to just call him Zach

My partner is a Jonathan and the distinction between Jonathan (work etc) and Jon just seems to make sense.

I like Maxwell and Maximus but not Maximillian. I am a Maxine!

I like Maxwell as a full formal name and calling him Max for the nickname. It just seems better once adult to have something more formal in professional settings.

I like max alone. I have an uncle max actually, and that's his full name. He's a very well off business man and can't see why max wouldn't be in any way professional as an adult personally.
Out of the three longer names to shorten though I prefer maxwell. X

Max is a strong name in it's own right! I love it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->