night feeds for premmies

twinklestar

2 boys nd 2 girls
Reaction score
hi all

can any of you offer some advice or tell me what you did if you were in this situation

my LO was born at 33+1 weighing 4.4oz he spent 2 weeks in scbu and came home at his birth weight

he is now 4 weeks old and im still setting an alarm to wake him for his 4hrly feeds in the night, he has stirred a few times himself just as its about to go off but other than that i have to wake him

at what age/weight do you think i can leave the alarm and see if he wakes?

also if i do that will i need to change his 4hrly to demand? id rather not swap as he is on a great routine

any comments welcome

:hugs:

Wow, what a great sleeper!! Sorry, I can't be much help really as Poppy used to wake every couple of hours in the night so never had this issue. I did use to have to wake her in the day though, when she slept a lot, and after 4 hours would wake her for a feed. I can't remember when this stopped though.

Hope someone else can help xx

Sorry, I don't really have similar circumstances so cannot help - Andrew spent his first 11 weeks on NICU, where they fed him regular as clockwork, night and day.

Hello!

I rather think it depends on his weight gain, plus new babies dehydrate if left without feeding too long, but if I were you I would call the NICU or your outreach sister and ask for their advice.

I did this many times when i brought Rose home (and they were great, even had doctors calling me back at times) as the HV and Dr did not know much about preemies at all:growlmad:

x

From the day I got the girls home I changed them to Feeding on demand. I spoke to my HV and consultant and they both agreed it worked better.

I think if your concerened you can call your consultant or see your HV and have a good chat hun

Hope you find something that suits you both x

We stopped using the alarm clock when we felt her weight was a 'decent' weight, and when the HV agreed.

after a few weeks home and a decent weight gain, we moved onto to demand feeding and stopped setting an alarm, over course of 3 months Matthew slowly went longer and then by 3 1/2 months (actual) slept right thru :happydance: x

hiya.. hadyn was born at 33+3 and came home at 5lb10 and he was also on 4hrly... at night we changed to on demand after the 11pm feed at around 5 weeks actual and he would go to about 6am... at 3.5months he then slept through! :happydance: hope this helps xx

well as of today Kane is 6.4lb the HV said in another week we can stop the alarm as he should be around 7lb by then and 5 weeks old

X

Fantastic weight he is coming on a treat x:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back