Nighttime Calf Cramping! Noooooo!

CandiceSj

Reaction score
I had my first leg cramp last night - this sucks! I had them a couple times a week minimum with my other pregnancies so that's the fun that I can expect from now until the end of Jan!

Anyone else?

Just started happening last week=( I wanted to cry cause I know it's just the start of them!!

I've been getting them in the morning lately. Sucks!!

I got them a ton when pregnant with my second. My doctor told me to start taking magnesium on top of my prenatal and I only got them occasionally after that. It's worth a try or asking your doctor about! I swear it helped me so much. I was in tears when they kept happening. If they start up with this pregnancy, I will definitely be getting some to take.

Omg not yet but I am not looking forward to those, they were terrible with my daughter!

Yup - started waking up with them last week. Luckily, I've figured out that if I flex my feet, it stops them in their tracks!

Yup - started waking up with them last week. Luckily, I've figured out that if I flex my feet, it stops them in their tracks!

That's exactly what I do!! Works everytime. I hated getting out of a warm bed in a dead sleep, so I figured out that this helped:haha:

I started getting this a few weeks ago. A banana a day gets rid of it for me within a couple of days.

Yes I will have to ask my Dr! I see her Monday. OMG if that could help, I'd be so happy! :D

I got them a ton when pregnant with my second. My doctor told me to start taking magnesium on top of my prenatal and I only got them occasionally after that. It's worth a try or asking your doctor about! I swear it helped me so much. I was in tears when they kept happening. If they start up with this pregnancy, I will definitely be getting some to take.

Yes, that's the perfect way! I also just extend my leg and flex my foot upwards, definitely works. I think I was a bit slow during this first one, didn't remember the trick instantly since it has been 4 years since I was pregnant, and I can feel a little remaining sensitivity in my calf today.

OMG YES! The other night it woke me up as it was starting and I flexed my foot like "oh heck no! Not today!" I cry every time I get a leg cramp! They hurt so bad!

Ugh, I hate those! Thankfully haven't had them much in years! Lots of water, banana (for potassium) to try to prevent them... and if they start I flex my foot and stand up right away- I've had some really extra excruciating ones in the past and find that if they're extra bad just flexing doesn't stop it, so I always stand up, too, and do a little calf stretching before I lay back down! Hope they don't bug you too much!!

oh nooo!!! I'm not sure if I knew this was a pregnancy symptom... that sucks! I used to get them when I was a teenager and they were awful! I generally try not to sleep with my legs bent in case. I used to have to flex my foot and stand up for a bit. Rubbing my calf seemed to help a bit too!

what causes them? (just curious!) x

oh nooo!!! I'm not sure if I knew this was a pregnancy symptom... that sucks! I used to get them when I was a teenager and they were awful! I generally try not to sleep with my legs bent in case. I used to have to flex my foot and stand up for a bit. Rubbing my calf seemed to help a bit too!

I'm really not sure what causes them, but it has been a pregnancy symptom for me. I got them in my second pregnancy and had one so far this time... At least I'm glad I didn't have a second one yet! Dr. told me today that taking magnesium supplements probably wouldn't help, it's just part of the pregnancy experience for some women... And that her recommendation is some stretches before bed, and warmth on the muscles so they're relaxed going in.

I don't know... I've heard lack of potassium, but who knows for sure. For me, it usually happens when I stretch my legs (pointing my toes) in the middle of the night. But like I said earlier, when it happens, I immediately flex my toes up toward my knees and it stops almost instantly. Sometimes I am still sore the following day...

I'm really not sure what causes them, but it has been a pregnancy symptom for me. I got them in my second pregnancy and had one so far this time... At least I'm glad I didn't have a second one yet! Dr. told me today that taking magnesium supplements probably wouldn't help, it's just part of the pregnancy experience for some women... And that her recommendation is some stretches before bed, and warmth on the muscles so they're relaxed going in.

Hmm did she say why? Or if it would hurt for you to try? I'm curious since my doctor put me on it for that purpose and it did seem to help so immensely. Maybe it was coincidence? I did see a lady in first trimester was taking it for general cramping and said it was helping her a ton. If you don't think it would help, it's all good. I'm just curious :) if it's potassium related, maybe I starting eating more of that at that point without realizing it too lol

I also am taking a calcium magnesium supplement on top of my prenatal and since starting taking it a few months ago I haven't had a single leg cramp! I used to get them so bad in pregnancies and had 2 this pregnancy before starting the supplement and no problems since! I really do believe it works and I've heard many women swear by it.

DH seems to have absorbed all my charlie horses so far. He has been getting them fairly often while I get away scotfree!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->