Nintendo DSi/2DS/3DS?!

JessdueJan

Reaction score
Anybody offer me some opinions on which nintendo DS is best or even just which you prefer and why? I'm no good with electricals like this :blush:
It's for an almost 6 year old boy. I was thinking the 2ds sounds good as you can play DS and 3ds games on it, just not in 3d but it looks bigger as it doesn't open and close if you know what I mean.
Any help or input appreciated ladies :flower:

Hi my son will be nearly 6 at Christmas and we've gone for a 2ds for him. You can play all the 3ds games on it just without 3d and looks more robust to me! X

Hi my son will be nearly 6 at Christmas and we've gone for a 2ds for him. You can play all the 3ds games on it just without 3d and looks more robust to me! X

This was my thinking too. The ones that opened and close look like they could possibly be easily snapped if in the wrong hands. xx

Are there, newer/better models to get or are they all essentially the same?

From what I can gather off the Nintendo site the ds2 is newish. And there is a new version of the 3ds which has a slight bigger screen and interchangeable covers. Not sure it has any other differences. There's also a 3dsxl with a massive screen size difference xx

I wouldn't recommend the 3DS XL if I'm honest. The hinges break VERY easily on them - We bought 2 at the same time from the same place and the hinges broke on both in the same place within 6 weeks! It wasn't covered by warranty either so I had to pay for repairs. They weren't dropped and were well looked after and after looking online it seemed quite a few people had the same problem.

I wouldn't recommend the 3DS XL if I'm honest. The hinges break VERY easily on them - We bought 2 at the same time from the same place and the hinges broke on both in the same place within 6 weeks! It wasn't covered by warranty either so I had to pay for repairs. They weren't dropped and were well looked after and after looking online it seemed quite a few people had the same problem.

Thanks for this. I did suspect it could happen, think my mind is made up on the 2ds :) xx

I have the DSI and i love it, but i would prefer the 3Ds :)I've heard great things about the 3Ds and the 3Ds you can use like a regular DS, it has a 3D switch on it :)

DD1 has a 3DS (bought second hand from Facebook for £50 and came with the R4 card). Can play 2DS games on it. We bought games from CEX as they were £1-4 :) She doesn't use the 3D feature as I don't let her atm. It really screws your eyes up.

I don't know if it helps but after this thread i bought a 2DS for £59.99 in Sainsburys. Pretty good deal.

I'd say 2DS. The 3D isn't recommended for under sevens. You need to take more frequent breaks to rest your eyes, which can be a drag for a kid who's really into a game. Of course you can turn it off very easily, but there's other pros to a 2DS IMO. 2DS is specifically designed for smaller hands (so in the same vein, I wouldn't recommend a 2DS to an adult/older child), and not having the hinge is VERY useful - far more likely to survive numerous drops. Also bigger stylus, which again is good for little hands that perhaps aren't as dexterous as an older childs.

DSi is very outdated now, and I'd only consider it if you've got a local game shop with a large pre-owned section. I wouldn't be surprised if they phase out selling pre-owned DS games within the next couple of years though, so a 2DS/3DS is a wiser long term investment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->