NIPT results

JAJuly2013

Mom and Wife
Reaction score
I got my results today. I'm not sure how I feel.

Baby is a boy - we are happy with that. Yippee - now we will be even lol

However, we found out we have a 93% chance of the baby having down syndrome.

I know that the test is only a screening test. But I'm worried. That's a high number.

In the end it won't matter and we will love this baby no matter what!

I've scheduled an amnio for next week. It's gonna be a long week.

Anyone have any happy stories to share?

I dont have any experience to share hun :hugs: but I just wanted to say congratulations on team :blue:!!

Hi Jajuly, congratulations on finding out you're having your son, 2 of each is a great balance.
That's big news you've had, I'm sure it's a lot to take in but I know there are some amazing organisations out there who can offer information and support at this point and right through. I don't have personal insight into what you're experiencing but I am the sister of a sibling with complex additional support needs, we share a home, along with my Ds and my other sisters daughters (my nieces). I wouldn't have it any other way, I love that I was the one to get to be here with her after our mum died, I love the way she expresses herself (she isn't able to speak), I feel immensely privileged to have grown up in my family. When my Ds was 3 and was asked who he loved he said his aunt and then me and I wanted to cry because he completely recognised her place in our household and her importance to us all. My parents did an amazing job of raising us all and never making any of us feel of lesser or greater importance.
However you chose to proceed will be exactly right for you and your wonderful family. Xx

Hi Jajuly, congratulations on finding out you're having your son, 2 of each is a great balance.
That's big news you've had, I'm sure it's a lot to take in but I know there are some amazing organisations out there who can offer information and support at this point and right through. I don't have personal insight into what you're experiencing but I am the sister of a sibling with complex additional support needs, we share a home, along with my Ds and my other sisters daughters (my nieces). I wouldn't have it any other way, I love that I was the one to get to be here with her after our mum died, I love the way she expresses herself (she isn't able to speak), I feel immensely privileged to have grown up in my family. When my Ds was 3 and was asked who he loved he said his aunt and then me and I wanted to cry because he completely recognised her place in our household and her importance to us all. My parents did an amazing job of raising us all and never making any of us feel of lesser or greater importance.
However you chose to proceed will be exactly right for you and your wonderful family. Xx

Thank you! I trust God has made this baby exactly as he is meant to be. He will not give us more than we can handle. I am mostly concerned about the other medical problems associated with DS..ive also heard miscarriages are more likely.
Prqying this next week and a half flies by!

You sound like a strong capable women, the next week and a half will pass in a blur as you take care of your family and you will get through this bit and your family will only be more amazing however it all plays out. Best wishes to you all.

I’ve had more than one friend get alarmingly high numbers then after amnio found out all was normal

Hoping is all ok. The results can be inaccurate. I hope you get some more answers soon :hugs:

Yay for a boy!

I'm so sorry about the high chance of little one having ds. But he will be so lucky to have a mum like you who will love him unconditionally.
All the best xx

Congrats on your little boy! Did your NIPT results give you an actual percentage or a 1 out of ____ number? I know they actually skew your chances based on your age as well as your bloodwork - so if you are over 35 (?) they automatically raise your positive percentage rate regardless of your bloodwork.

Either way, every single DS mom says their kids are the sweetest, greatest kids! It’s true they can have more health problems, but I think with modern medicine the way it is, most kids can live long and healthy lives even with the diagnosis.

I hope your amnio goes well!

Congrats on your little boy! Did your NIPT results give you an actual percentage or a 1 out of ____ number? I know they actually skew your chances based on your age as well as your bloodwork - so if you are over 35 (?) they automatically raise your positive percentage rate regardless of your bloodwork.

Either way, every single DS mom says their kids are the sweetest, greatest kids! It’s true they can have more health problems, but I think with modern medicine the way it is, most kids can live long and healthy lives even with the diagnosis.

I hope your amnio goes well!

Thank you! No they just gave me the percentage. We will know more on Tuesday when we see the genetic counselor. I have a list of questions lol.
I am 39 so I know that plays a factor. But I don't know if the 93% included my ultrasound results which were normal.
The nuchal translucency was 2.9 which is the high end of normal. I had the ultrasound done at the Maternal Fetal Medicine and they told me under 3 was considered normal. They also saw the nasal bone. So I'm really hoping our boy is good.

I got my results today. I'm not sure how I feel.

Baby is a boy - we are happy with that. Yippee - now we will be even lol

However, we found out we have a 93% chance of the baby having down syndrome.

I know that the test is only a screening test. But I'm worried. That's a high number.

In the end it won't matter and we will love this baby no matter what!

I've scheduled an amnio for next week. It's gonna be a long week.

Anyone have any happy stories to share?

I have not been in the same position as you, but I have had a miscarriage due to DS. It was relatively early on though - at 10 weeks - and I was told from the ultrasound that the baby had too many health issues other than Downs.

I am sure at this stage if anything was hugely wrong they would have been able to see it on the scan. Fingers crossed your baby is healthy :)

Big hugs x

I have not been in the same position as you, but I have had a miscarriage due to DS. It was relatively early on though - at 10 weeks - and I was told from the ultrasound that the baby had too many health issues other than Downs.

I am sure at this stage if anything was hugely wrong they would have been able to see it on the scan. Fingers crossed your baby is healthy :)

Big hugs x
Thank you!

Quick update for anyone interested.
After spending 45 or so minutes talking to the genetic counselor and asking a ton of questions we decided to proceed with the amnio. They did a quick growth scan first. They confirmed he is indeed a boy lol and his growth looks perfect. He is weighing in at 4oz.
The procedure itself was quick and the pain was comparable to getting a shot. It's been 3 hours since the procedure and I've barely had any cramping. No bleeding no fluid leakage.
We will get results in 2 weeks. Praying it comes back negative for any problems. If he does have DS it changes nothing. We are still so excited to meet our little guy. Ryan Thomas :baby:

Glad the procedure went well and hoping your results come back negative but if not I am sure the love will still be the same.

So pleased to hear it went smoothly. Rest well and I hope the next couple of weeks pass quickly for you both. Xx

Just want to send some love and well wishes for you, your family, and sweet Ryan<3

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->