No antibody for rubella

Katherine

Reaction score
I went to my appointment yesterday. Baby is fine, and could still see the heartbeat. However, the doctor gave me the result of my blood testing, and said that everything is fine, except that I don't have antibody for rubella.

I think I will have to be specially careful not to get rubella during the pregnancy, as it may be really bad for the baby.

My question is, how come they didn't test me for the antibodies when I was in fertility treatment, if this may be a major issue for the baby???

It's really common, I have no Rubella antibody either. And luckily Rubella is extremely uncommon...when's the last time you ever heard of anyone having it? You & baby will be fine ;)

Thanks a lot! Yes, I haven't heard of people having rubella for long long time. But when they brought that out, I was a little bit concern. I guess I just don't need to be worried for this :happydance:

im the same hun i had my letter through yesterday telling me im not immune to it...luckily most peeps and kids have the mmr vaccine so it's probably very rare we'll come into contact with it x

I was under the impression that if you are not immune to certain diseases, they give you a shot?
Im immune to it, atleast I was during my first pregnancy- but there was an occasion where I came into contact with someone who had chicken pox, luckily my blood had antibodies for it but the MW told me I'd have to have a vaccine if not... Thought it was the same for rubella??

you cant have the rubella immunisation when pregnant, you get it after the baby is born x

I'm in the UK but when I told my doctor we planned to TTC early next year she recommended I get an antibody test for Rubella even though I was vaccinated as a child. I am having the blood test today and will go for the vaccine if I need it, though it means we have to wait 3 months post-vaccination to TTC.

As BrookieG says you can't have the vaccine when pregnant.

I'm not immune to it either despite having had the vaccine now 3 times. I wasn't immune during my first pregnancy either.

My midwife advised me that the vaccine just doesn't take in some people and for me, having had three attempts now, she'd recommend not to try again as it most probably won't take.

Alex

It is not recommended to have the rubella vaccination whilst trying for a baby and during pregnancy. It should be given after the baby is born if the antibody is not detected during your routine blood tests. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->