No baby on ultrasound? :'(

surprisepreg

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had my first prenatal apt the other day. I believe I was 9 weeks based on last period, but on the transvaginal ultrasound I believe I saw only a gestational sack. The doctor didn't say much but looked grim and had me come in the next day when the sonographer was in. The sonographer didn't say much, only asked if my periods were regular. Again, I saw no baby or heartbeat or the ultrasound, just a gestational sack.

I'm wondering how likely it is my baby is gone. Could my dates be off? Could someone with more experience on conception advise?

Here's what I know...my last period was jan 1. My periods are not every 28 days. They range on average from 28-36 days with occasional longer cycles. I had sex only once, on jan 14. I do not know how long it was before I ovulated or implanted.

I discovered I was pregnant on feb 3 after have weird dreams about being preg all night. I had a strong positive on a very early test (measured 10 hcg) and a weaker positive on a 20 hcg test.

Going by this info, is it possible I'm earlier on than thought? Any chance that I'm early enough that I wouldn't see baby on ultrasound?

If not, has anyone not seen baby at around 9 weeks only to find baby later? I'm not having bleeding or anything besides an occasional twinge...no severe cramps or anything.

Also, I beluebe I have a tilted cervix or something...could this affect seeing baby? I dunno exactly what it is, but no doctor has ever been able to see during a Pap smear, they always end up needing to do it blind.

Anyways, any advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Laura

im sorry ur going through this ! I have heard of women not seeing baby at first u/s & then going on to see baby later on but Im not sure how far along they were. how far along were u when u seen ur 2 sons on ultrasounds? it might be a blighted ovum):

im sorry ur going through this ! I have heard of women not seeing baby at first u/s & then going on to see baby later on but Im not sure how far along they were. how far along were u when u seen ur 2 sons on ultrasounds? it might be a blighted ovum):

My older son is adopted so I didn't see him, but my younger son, I saw somewhere around 7 or 8 weeks. :(

Im sorry you are experiencing this. Unless you are much earlier than you think, by 9 weeks there should definitely be a baby there. Did they give you the gestation of the sac? With my MMC we never saw the baby, just the sac. It continued to get bigger until my D&C at 9 weeks even though there was no baby inside.

I don't believe a tilted cervix would prevent you from seeing the baby. Especially since you saw the sac. There wouldn't really be a reason not to see the baby inside if you could see the sac. A tilted uterus would make it a bit harder to see, but again I think if you can see the sac you'd be able to see baby as well. But I'm not too familiar with a tilted cervix/uterus.

I'm going to just do a rough estimate here, but if you only had sex once on January 14th we will be generous and say the sperm survived for 5 days (not super likely, but can happen). So if you ovulated after those 5 days that brings you to January 19. So that's nearly 7 weeks. You would be more likely not to see something then than at 9 weeks, but generally something is still visible then.

Most doctors prefer to wait until at least 8 weeks to be sure you can see something so maybe another ultrasound in a week to a week and a half will show more? Also request a transvaginal if you can as that's more likely to see a tiny tiny baby.

Fingers crossed baby is a late bloomer!

I went for a scan at 7 +4 and they couldnt find the baby because of my tilted uterus but was given a bottle of water and sent to waiting room till bladder filled up half an hour later they managed to find it

By nine weeks they should see something. When I was nine weeks with my first we found out that it was a blighted ovum. Just an empty sac. I started to bleed a few days later and a few days after that passed the sac.

Maybe you are earlier than you thought, but I don't think the outlook is too good for you from my own knowledge and personal experiences. I would say give it another week maybe two if you don't start bleeding, for another scan and at that point you should see something.

I am sorry you are going through this *hugs*

They should check your hcg at this point in at least 2 (48) hours increments, and schedule a ultrasound next week same day. Thats how they can diagnose a viable pregnancy. Wishing you the best.

Hey guys,

So my doctor called me today. She said my hcg levels were high. She actually used the term "unusually high" at some point which in hindsight, I'm a bit concerned about. She told me to come back in two weeks for another ultrasound and said by then we should see progress if there's something to see.

I'm just gonna try to stay calm for the next two weeks and see what happens I guess. :-/

So sorry :( By 9 weeks I think they should definitely be able to see something. It sounds like you have a blighted ovum. I've had that before :( With this pregnancy at 5 weeks they saw a yolk sac. I'm sorry, hun. You're going back for another scan in a week or so, right?

Surprise, what ended up happening?

I had an early scan today and didn't see anything either, but I only thought I was 6 weeks and they think I'm probably just not that far along, I had a pos opk feb 19 so they think I'm actually only 4-5 weeks. I had really long cycles.

im going through the exact same thing right now had a scan at 8+2 approx which showed an empty sack measuring 5-6 weeks and maybe a "shadow" of something but she wasn't sure. I was told to prepare for a loss and I'm being rescanned on Tuesday. I don't think my dates can be so off.

This weeks been awful. I'm so down and can't stand the not knowing. Nothing makes sense right now and I hate it. We've chosen not to tell our young daughters for now but every time they mention the baby I eant to cry, they love it so much already.

I hope we all get our happy endings :hugs:

I'm so sorry if you hadn't of said you had a positive pregnancy test early Feb id be hopeful that your dates were wrong but it really sounds like a blighted ovum. In so so sorry x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->