No bottle after a year!!!

cyclura

Mother and expecting
Reaction score
What do you think about this ladies?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13294632

I think it makes sense to be honest, I think when baby's start weaning they should start learning how to use cups. Surely once they can drink from a cup there's no need for a bottle?

You see I still use a bottle for milk. Just morning and night dont know if that makes us 'regular' users

She can drink perfectly well from all sorts of containers.
But in all but open cups (which we dont use) seem to ave all sorts of ridges and hidden places where the milk can get stuck/trapped.

So basically I still use a bottle as I know I can clean it properly and stick a bottle brush in there.

All the other items used to drink in this house have ridges and complicated nozzels where I think milk would get trapped and :sick:

What sort of use is that article talking about?

I guess if you child is still having 5 bottles of milk a day then yes it may well increase chances of obesity.

Yes I totally agree; not to mention it rots teeth. There is no need for any baby to be on a bottle after a year; most of mine were completely on a sippy cup by 6 months xx

Emma has one bottle a day, at night before sleep. She uses a doidy cup, a straw and an array of other cups throughout the day but will not drink milk at night without her bottle. Really not that fussed about it to be honest. I really don't believe one bottle a day will end in obesity.

Whether or not she 'should' be off the bottle or there is ' no need' for it, she does it. There is a need here at the moment as I believe it is more important that she has 1 bottle of milk as day than we take it away to suit those who think there is no need for her to have it.

I agree with the article regarding the dental issues . LO drinks water out of a cup. She never had a bottle. I normally see parents with red stuff in bottles as well and wonder why they are putting juice in bottles when it is horrible for the teeth, just like the fruit shoot drinks which bathes the teeth in sugar. I know a mom whose child is 2 and had 10 teeth taken out as a direct result. My DH is doing an essay on dental health and he says in UK 8 out 10 children under age of 5 have tooth decay. Awful. X

Yeah I agree with the article. My LO drinks water out of a cup. She never had a bottle. I normally see parents with red stuff in bottles as well and wonder why they are putting juice in bottles when it is horrible for the teeth, just like the fruit shoot drinks which bathes the teeth in sugar. I know a mom whose child is 2 and had 10 teeth taken out as a direct result. My DH is doing an essay on dental health and he says in UK 8 out 10 children under age of 5 have tooth decay. Awful. X

I agree about the juice.

Rivers never had anything other then milk or water but i see alot of kids with juice in bottles

For me it doesnt make sense. If a toddler is drinking 4-5 milk feeds from a cup per day it's similar to drinking the same amount from a feeding bottle. It makes sense if they talking about kids who are given a bottle to play with & use it as a soother throughtout the day. But with controlled amounts of feeds & teeth brushing after the kid is done I dont think it's an issue.

Omar only drinks 2 milk feeds (& sometimes he only drinks one), if he asks for a 3rd one he gets semi skimmed cow milk. Omar will not drink milk from a cup although he drinks water from any cup. He doesnt drink juices & it takes him less than 10 mins to finish a bottle & he asks to brush his teeth once he's done.

He still needs his milk & he gags if he tastes milk in a cup. As long as he's getting the milk he needs I honesty dont care if it's from a cup or a feeding bottle.

I haven't used bottles when they are older although my first was a little attached to the idea of a bottle and took him a little while to adjust. They tend to drink a lot less from a cup which is why the obesity link arises I think. A toddler will take 200mls from a bottle at night but if given in a cup they will take a lot less generally.

I have found some good quality sippy cups that are easy to clean and they are quite cheap from the supermarket. BPA free and under $3! Bargain!

OmarsMom- I don't use bottles so I am not really sure but if you are measuring it out as you would in a cup I don't think there's an issue as far as obesity is concerned but when I'm out and about I see little children with massive bottled filled to the top - and maybe thats the concerned because those feeds aren't measured? Just my guess lol x

OmarsMom- I don't use bottles so I am not really sure but if you are measuring it out as you would in a cup I don't think there's an issue as far as obesity is concerned but when I'm out and about I see little children with massive bottled filled to the top - and maybe thats the concerned because those feeds aren't measured? Just my guess lol x

Most of the time a full bottle is usually 8 oz (240 mls) which is the same as a normal full cup. At 12+ months the min toddlers need is 12 oz & the max is 20 oz. So even if they drink 2-3 full bottles they'r still not drinking extra milk to cause obesity.

If it's toddlers milk (not cow milk) & it's given frequently throughout the day, it might cause obesity as it has more calories than cow milk, but if it's cow milk, I dont see how feeding from a bottle instead of a cup can make a difference when it comes to weight gain & obesity. It also depends on the toddlers overall feeding habits. If a kid is off food it's normal if s/he asks for more milk.

There are more factors to look into to determine child obesity that are much more important than the "container" the child is getting milk from.

Harrison is nearly 1 and i have no intention of taking his bottles off him just yet.
He has a bottle first thing in the morning and last thing at night.
He has never has nor will have anything other than milk in his bottle.
If he is 2 and still wanting a bottle i will do something about it then.

Most of the time a full bottle is usually 8 oz (240 mls) which is the same as a normal full cup. At 12+ months the min toddlers need is 12 oz & the max is 20 oz. So even if they drink 2-3 full bottles they'r still not drinking extra milk to cause obesity.

If it's toddlers milk (not cow milk) & it's given frequently throughout the day, it might cause obesity as it has more calories than cow milk, but if it's cow milk, I dont see how feeding from a bottle instead of a cup can make a difference when it comes to weight gain & obesity. It also depends on the toddlers overall feeding habits. If a kid is off food it's normal if s/he asks for more milk.

There are more factors to look into to determine child obesity that are much more important than the "container" the child is getting milk from.

Maybe it is because 'they' tell parents to remove the bottle at 1 year old. Which from what I understand most parents dont.

So maybe the report is suggesting is about a lack of standing firm with your toddler over food. Which obviously if you toddler asks for a bottle/chocolate/LARD! and you dont say no and take control they will become obese. So maybe its them suggesting that the parents who are 'too soft' to remove the bottle at 1 year are thosse givin in to thier childs desires for 'bad' foods. That they are the parents which result in having obese children?

Does that make sense?

Its a load of rubbish as a report I think

Maybe it is because 'they' tell parents to remove the bottle at 1 year old. Which from what I understand most parents dont.

So maybe the report is suggesting is about a lack of standing firm with your toddler over food. Which obviously if you toddler asks for a bottle/chocolate/LARD! and you dont say no and take control they will become obese. So maybe its them suggesting that the parents who are 'too soft' to remove the bottle at 1 year are thosse givin in to thier childs desires for 'bad' foods. That they are the parents which result in having obese children?

Does that make sense?

Its a load of rubbish as a report I think

looooooool :rofl:

Just skimmed through some articles on the net and some studies showed a correlation btwn bottlefeeding(note not specifically after 1 year but I suppose that could be a given) and obesity because with a bottle, a child will continue to drink and drink even if he is full as it is easy for fluid to flow down whereas BF babies have to work at it and will stop when full. I don't know if and how cups make a difference in the ease of consumption but I assume it does for them to reach that conclusion.

Just skimmed through some articles on the net and some studies showed a correlation btwn bottlefeeding(note not specifically after 1 year but I suppose that could be a given) and obesity because with a bottle, a child will continue to drink and drink even if he is full as it is easy for fluid to flow down whereas BF babies have to work at it and will stop when full. I don't know if and how cups make a difference in the ease of consumption but I assume it does for them to reach that conclusion.

Omar drinks 6-8 oz of water from a cup in less than 2 mins but it takes him 10 mins to drink 5-6 oz of milk from a bottle :)

I don't know about other babies but for us Omar was never a big drinker & he never went for more than 7 oz in a bottle. He doesn't even drain bottles & he always leave some milk. Bottle fed babies get sick if they drink more than they need. But some babies are hungrier than others & they can drink more without being sick.

At 12+ months a milk bottle is not food anymore. It's only a drink. Most of the mums I know don't offer bottles as soothers & at 1 + yrs they limit their toddler milk intake to 2-3 milk feeds (12-20 oz) which is still needed

I agree with the article, and I took H completely off bottles at one year.

I don't see the need for using one even at night time?

I agree with the article, and I took H completely off bottles at one year.

I don't see the need for using one even at night time?

Emma won't drink a cup at night meaning that a bottle is needed. She was BF until 14 months and wouldn't drink from a cup at night. She only drinks water, from an array of cups, during the day so I have no concerns about her using the bottle at night. I don't believe that her bottle habit will lead to a life of obesity nor do I think she will still have it at 5.

Personally i think this is a load of shite.
Regardless of how a baby is fed they will stop drinking when full otherwise sick it back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->