No bottle after a year!!!

TBH I don't know but this is an interesting topic. I can totally see why people don't think you can over feed a bottlefed baby but I would have thought that they had factual concrete evidence to back up their claim before making it and implementing it into official guidelines :shrug: I am going to dig some more (time-permitting lol)

Just skimmed through some articles on the net and some studies showed a correlation btwn bottlefeeding(note not specifically after 1 year but I suppose that could be a given) and obesity because with a bottle, a child will continue to drink and drink even if he is full as it is easy for fluid to flow down whereas BF babies have to work at it and will stop when full. I don't know if and how cups make a difference in the ease of consumption but I assume it does for them to reach that conclusion.

I believe this to be true (imo) I have just stopped breastfeeding and when Evan had had enough booby he unlatched himself and pursed his lips together. Now he has a bottle if he doesn't finish it and I offer it he'll still drink from it, usually resulting in that last ounce being vommed all over me :dohh:

I have noticed that since stopping using bottles Rivers milk intake has dropped a fair bit

Chloe and Jaycee still use a bottle for milk, mainly at bedtime but they do like a bit of milk when they wake from their nap.

For juice they use their 360 cups.

Its just study after study after study these days.. Let parents be.

My girls dont keep drinking from a bottle, once they have had enough they stop. :shrug:

^^^ Same here. Some nights Emma drains her bottle, others it is more than half full. She was BF and then we BLW. I trusted her to take what she needed in both of these situations and she thrived. I believe the same happens with her milk at night.

AnnaMatronic- I was wondering could it be like right now I cannot finish a 3 course meal. However, if I kept trying, my tummy will expand and over time a 3 course meal will be easy and I could eat a 4 course one. Maybe with some bottle fed LOs, over time, their tummy expands and can accomodate a larger-than-necessary feed? I hope that made sense lol

My LO is 10 months old...still has 2-3 bottles a day but then also uses her sippy cups throughout the day...I have give her juice in her bottle before, but I also brush her teeth 3 times a day and I don't let her carry it around. Probably why she hasn't learned to hold her sippy cup up yet either....but I'm going off of her...when she's ready we'll stop the bottle, same with the paci, same with cosleeping, same with potty training...why is it such a big deal??

In regards to why there are studies and who pays for them;

They are often part of the work of academic and medical staff (although not limited to them) and they have to publish research as part of their job. I am not telling people they have to agree with everything that is published (that is your personal choice) and it is impossible to do so as sometimes there is conflicting information but research is a very important thing and one of the reasons we are able to cure many illnesses and understand the effects of the things around us. It is one of the reasons we now know the effects of things like smoking for example. Surly you think people should be given the relevant information so they can make informed choices? I think it is such a shame that people do not seem to appreciate it, possibly due to to bad (and sometimes inaccurate) reporting in part, but it is still very unfortunate.

I don't think you can say your kid can't drink out of a sippy cup at night, when they can during the day? :wacko:

I don't think you can say your kid can't drink out of a sippy cup at night, when they can during the day? :wacko:

she drinks better still out of the bottle than the sippy cup...total all day from a bottle i can get roughly 25 oz of fluid in her, but with a sippy cup i'm lucky to get 6oz...so she still does need the bottle to keep fluids in her considering she is completely on table food now so if she cuts back her fluids she gets horribly constipated.

Of course I can. No need for this:wacko:. I am not saying something outrageous. It really is a rude smiley.

As I have already said, she drinks from an open doidy cup all day but will not drink milk in anything other than a bottle. Have tried doidy, sippy cup, sports bottle and an adult cup. Today she took about 15 mils of milk from the doidy. This is nowhere near enough and I am not willing to make this all the milk she takes in a day just so that she does not have a bottle at night. She is not filling up on milk all day, just one bottle at night and drinking nothing but water (doesn't like juice) all day long.

In regards to why there are studies and who pays for them;

They are often part of the work of academic and medical staff (although not limited to them) and they have to publish research as part of their job. I am not telling people they have to agree with everything that is published (that is your personal choice) and it is impossible to do so as sometimes there is conflicting information but research is a very important thing and one of the reasons we are able to cure many illnesses and understand the effects of the things around us. It is one of the reasons we now know the effects of things like smoking for example. Surly you think people should be given the relevant information so they can make informed choices? I think it is such a shame that people do not seem to appreciate it, possibly due to to bad (and sometimes inaccurate) reporting in part, but it is still very unfortunate.

Absolutely agree... it saddens me that the academics are blamed; surely if you don't agree with a report then the people to get your heckles up at are the reporters?

Fact to remember - scientific studies may find a link between variables (in this case, use of bottles over a certain age and obesity) but this in no way implies a causal relationship, or a definite cause! Nobody is saying that 'if you give your child a bottle they will become obese', conversely the fact that many children take a bottle beyond a year and aren't obese (etc) doesn't mean there isn't a correlation. You can't shelve the whole concept of scientific discovery just because anecdotally, some cases don't fit the findings. Of course every single one won't.

It's all about statistics, and incompetent reporting of them can lead to a lot of bullshit - just as incompetent interpretation of just about anything can and will lead to bullshit.

I also notice that this thread seems to be becoming digs at each other. That saddens me all the more, because if there is an enemy it's certainly NOT other mummies doing the best they know how for their families. The term 'divide and conquer' pops into my mind for some reason..........

:flower:

I give bottles as long as my babies wanted them. For Jasper he was 2.5 For Makena, NEVER...she hated them. Kelana has yet to use one, really. To me, a bottle is like the breast. Its a comfort item.

Carmen can't get much of anything from a sippy cup. She's always had difficulty getting milk from anything but a fast-flow teat, and the no-spill type of sippy cups require some technique to drink from. During the day, she drink from a cup with a lid and straw, because it's easy for her and it's really the only way she can successfully 'feed' herself a drink. But when she's tired and just wants some milk (she still has toddler formula since she's not a big eater yet) and a cuddle, we use a bottle since her cup and straw would spill all over if I tilted it for her.

All babies- and toddlers- are different, and it's impossible to make an accurate blanket statement about what they "need" or not. One may not see a reason for their own child to use a bottle past the age of 1- and that's fine for them- but surely you can't make the same judgment for someone else's child!

As for the article, there were a lot of assumptions made about bottle-feeding mums, that completely led away from the research in the first place. They haven't reported any good argument that the bottle itself leads to obesity- only that over-feeding, giving sugary drinks and putting rusks in the bottle might!

I do want to apologize, because I really didn't mean to be rude, and I can see how that smiley would be.

I do feel strongly about dental care, etc and I know it wasn't easy to make the switch but once you find a cup that works, I do believe you just gotta switch it.

I do want to apologize, because I really didn't mean to be rude, and I can see how that smiley would be.

I do feel strongly about dental care, etc and I know it wasn't easy to make the switch but once you find a cup that works, I do believe you just gotta switch it.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I detest that smiley, unless it used to describe your own actions. Just a bug bear of mine!

Yeah I always hate it too, I dont know what I was thinking!

We have a NUK bottle with an orthodontic nipple. I have no desire to stop giving him a bottle any time soon. He only gets milk or water and he has a straw style sippy cup for his water. He's only just started to get teeth, so how does that compare to a baby who got teeth early and had a bottle from 4 or 6 months old until a year? He still BF's too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->