No bowl movement in nearly 2 weeks

hardd2011

Reaction score
Had an doctors appointment today for my baby's 2 week check up. Asked the doctor about bowl movements as he hasnt had one since he was 5 days old. They say the breast milk is absorb well in the body and he may not have a bowl movement as often. He isnt dehydrated as he has 8 or more wet diapers a day and his pee is not dark. He has stinky gas so no blockage or anything. Tried warm bath, massaging the stomach and rubbing a q-tip around the outside of the anus. Only thing that has come out is sometimes a streak on the diaper or when I wipe him there will be a little on the diaper wipe.

Has anyone gone through this and when did they your baby have a regular bowl movement?

My son is 5 months old and his current routine is weekly bms, but he has gone up to 10 days before. It really freaked me out but it's normal. My doctor gave me some laxatives for if he goes over 10 days, but I don't know if I will give it as his poops are always liquid so I it wouldn't do anything (it was a laxative that pulls water into the stool to soften it for constipation).

If you've seen a doctor and they're ok with it, try not to worry :). Be aware that infrequent poops usually mean large volume poops and a definite blow-out.

A baby skipping days before 4-6 weeks of age, is of concern as there is usually an underlying cause. A baby under 4 weeks should have 2 or more stools daily. As you haven't mentioned it I presume weight gain is fine but a dairy intolerance can cause this problem as it can effect the natural 'spasm' of the bowel or even stop it working completely. My second youngest had this, he went a total of 8 days (4 on one occasion and 4 on another) in his first two weeks of life without a bowel movement. His abdomen ended up abnormally distended and he was in discomfort. When he did go his stools were dark green, bloody and mucousy although that doesn't always happen with a dairy intolerance. I cut out dairy (wasn't vegan back then) and he started to have an average of 5 stools a day xx

My son is 5 months old and his current routine is weekly bms, but he has gone up to 10 days before. It really freaked me out but it's normal. My doctor gave me some laxatives for if he goes over 10 days, but I don't know if I will give it as his poops are always liquid so I it wouldn't do anything (it was a laxative that pulls water into the stool to soften it for constipation).

If you've seen a doctor and they're ok with it, try not to worry :). Be aware that infrequent poops usually mean large volume poops and a definite blow-out.

they did a rectal examine and said something was in the making. did an x ray to make sure nothing serious and all was fine. he isnt constipated and is happy and doesnt cry but only to eat

That's good they've investigated! Hopefully he poops soon for you :)

Sorry to hijack your thread but rather than start a new one about poo!
My little boy is 8 days old now and we have had lots of issues with getting feeding established but he does seem to be getting milk now, at least I hope so! He was weighed at 3 days old and had dropped from a birth weight of 3880g to 3570g which was a 7.9% loss. He has had dirty nappies but they haven't been completely yellow (changing from a green/brown to yellow) and he hasn't passed anything for 24hrs now. Should I be asking the MW to weigh him again? (he is due to be weighed in another 2 days at day 10) He has plenty of wet nappies and is feeding every 2-2.5 hour at the moment.

Sorry to hijack your thread but rather than start a new one about poo!
My little boy is 8 days old now and we have had lots of issues with getting feeding established but he does seem to be getting milk now, at least I hope so! He was weighed at 3 days old and had dropped from a birth weight of 3880g to 3570g which was a 7.9% loss. He has had dirty nappies but they haven't been completely yellow (changing from a green/brown to yellow) and he hasn't passed anything for 24hrs now. Should I be asking the MW to weigh him again? (he is due to be weighed in another 2 days at day 10) He has plenty of wet nappies and is feeding every 2-2.5 hour at the moment.

My son lost weight too and at his 2 week appoint which he was 17 days old he was back at his birth weight.
My advice is after a couple days call your MW if he doesn't go poo. I kept calling them and when he went in for his appointment they did an x-ray to make sure is stomach was reverted out and did an rectal examine and all was fine. he actually went today after 13 days of not going. which I was happy and he was mad haha. he was so stinky too. I was so surprised he pooped. I don't know if this made a difference but I added more oatmeal in my diet as I notice he stopped pooping when I didn't ate it.

My son is combi fed and is stacking on the weight but rarely does more than one poo a day. Sometimes he goes a day without doing one at all. They're always soft so I know he's not constipated, I just think he likes saving it up and then doing a huge one! He's 6 weeks old and has always been like this so I think this 'they must do several a day' thing isn't strictly true. Babies do what babies want to do!

My son is combi fed and is stacking on the weight but rarely does more than one poo a day. Sometimes he goes a day without doing one at all. They're always soft so I know he's not constipated, I just think he likes saving it up and then doing a huge one! He's 6 weeks old and has always been like this so I think this 'they must do several a day' thing isn't strictly true. Babies do what babies want to do!

Also they told me was if he is having more than 6 wet diapers he is fine. And also passing gas means there is no blockage. Also told me newborns do not have a routine until later. He had a huge nasty diaper yesterday. Luckily it didn't go out the diaper. If he is straining they told me to call. But he is one happy hungry baby all the time :)

Also they told me was if he is having more than 6 wet diapers he is fine. And also passing gas means there is no blockage. Also told me newborns do not have a routine until later. He had a huge nasty diaper yesterday. Luckily it didn't go out the diaper. If he is straining they told me to call. But he is one happy hungry baby all the time :)

We have a lot of wet nappies and he farts all day long so not too worried here ��

My daughter regularly went 5-10 days between each poo when she was a newborn. It's only been the last couple of weeks that she's poohed every day, and she's perfectly fine and healthy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->