No Colostrum during pregnancy, will I be able to breastfeed?

Shnooks

Preparing for 2 under 2!
Reaction score
Hi all, may seem like a silly question to you more experienced ladies but I am so desperate to breastfeed I am fretting over this!!

I am 39 weeks today and have had no sign of colostrum. I have tried expressing using the techniques on the vids and our local Breastfeeding Assoc. website but still cannot seem to get a drop.

Did any of you experience this only to have it just magically turn up on the day?

I also have not had any dramatic changes to breasts, a tad heavier maybe & darker nipples but that's about it.

Any stories would be helpful, thanks :)

don't worry hun

if this is your 1st baby you prob won't see any sign of milk until your baby has been born

My LO was delivered by c-section 1 week overdue & my milk didn't come in until she was 5 days old but im still successfully BFing her 8 months down the line :)

you sound very committed to succeeding so I doubt you'll have any major problems. Just relax & you'll be fantastic :hugs: xx

Also - just because you haven't been able to express anything does NOT mean there is nothing there

lots of people struggle with expressing but your baby is far far more effective to stimulate your breasts to release milk

please dont worry. you will be great :) xx

This may sound gross, but has your partner tried to get anything from your breasts by sucking on them? I could never express any colostrum and worried also as my breasts had NO changes AT ALL during pregnancy. But my partner got colostrum out (by mistake with his mouth) during some intimate time in bed.

I'm breastfeeding fantastically, no issues there.

I never had any leakage or anything whilst pregnant and am BFing :)

It'll be fine! A newborn has a stomach the size of a small marble so it doesn't need much to fill up. Your body will start producing colostrum properly after the birth. Some women get it while pregnant, but it doesn't mean they will have more or less later on.

Good luck!

I remember having similar concerns. I never had a drop of colostrum during pregnancy. In fact, i never saw any colostrum until 4 days after LO was born - despite pumping like crazy in hospital from the day after his birth. Even then all I saw was one teeny weeny drop.

So, IME whether you see any colostrum or not doesn't seem to have much bearing on whether you're able to successfully BF. We're a year in now and still going strong :)

Good luck :flower:

I was the same, never had any leakage while pregnancy & we are BF great & have been since birth.

I didn't have any leaking at all during pregnancy xx

I didn't leak at all when pregnant. My breasts didn't seem any different except darker nipples too. I has a csection and my milk came in on day 5 but I bf Evan from day one and we've had no issues here.

No leaking for me either during pregnancy and I'm 5months bf'ing now. The colostrum only appeared once LO was born, although v little so had to top up with formula in hospital but once we got home it's been breastmilk all the way...try not to put too much pressure on yourself it'll come in time. Good luck

I don't think I had any either thinking back... maybe a drop if I squeezed just before she was born (and she was 16 days late). Never had a problem once she was here though!

I had no signs at all during pregnancy but my milk came in fine.

I had very little colostrum leak during this pregnancy; it was only a drop or so which I had to squeeze out; and only very late in the pregnancy. When my son was born he latched on for two hours and he was swallowing for a great deal of that time; so must have had much more colostrum than average; then about six hours later he did enough poo to fill several nappies and to get rid of most of the meconium in one fell swoop; when I was dealing with the mess he did a huge wee all over me as well!

Thanks so much for everyones responses, you have all made me feel a lot better!

I guess I am really just eager to put her to breast asap after birth (ie immediately hopefully) so fingers crossed there is at least a drop or two there :)

By the sounds of it though even if there is not, the milk should at least come in a few days later and we can always start then.

Thanks again ladies!!

Hi

It's very rare for ladies to not have enough colostrum and have to top up with formula before the proper milk comes in so don't worry, the amounts of colostrum will seem tiny but it will be plenty for your baby as their stomach is only the size of a small marble. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->