No dairy until one year right?

channy3232

Reaction score
Ok maybe I'm stupid or something but I know you're not supposed to give dairy until one year. Well I've noticed in the baby food aisle there is yogurt and it's listed as stage 2 food. Rocco's Dr. just told us to move to stage 2 food at his 6 month appt. Also, I bought some different baby foods that I had never bought before and a lot of them have milk in them! I also read on a website that a good finger food to give babies starting out is little pieces of cheese. So is it just because there's so little milk in the baby foods? Or did I misunderstand and you're just not supposed to give milk, but dairy products are ok??

In the UK you can give dairy at 6months i think??
You can give cows milk mixed in with food at 6months but as a drink at 12months :)

Ok maybe that's what it is then. Straight milk at one year but things with milk in it at 6. I wondered why all this baby food had milk in it!!!
Thanks

I should have just googled it. Duh
this makes sense. Very interesting
When and how can I introduce yogurt to my baby and why can my baby have yogurt or cheese but not milk?
Yogurt may be introduced as early as 7 months old, (the typical age recommendation is 8 months old) depending on your baby’s pediatrician and your baby’s propensity to allergies. Yogurt is a great way for baby to get calcium and the “bacteria” in yogurt that is so good for our digestive systems.

Yogurt is also a great way for baby to get the fat that is so highly needed during baby’s first year.

The majority of yogurts on the market are made low fat or non fat. Whole Milk Organic yogurts are available (Stonyfield Farms makes one w/o any preservatives or sugar/sweeteners) and should be given. Always read the labels and watch for added sugars, starches and other additives.
Whole Milk, as a drink, does not contain enough nutrients, vitamins or minerals for it to adequately sustain a growing infant.* We are told to NOT give baby milk until after 1 year of age mostly because milk is NOT enough to meet all of baby's specific nutritional requirements during the first year of life.* Babies should be on breast milk or formula or a combo of both until after 1 yr old. Here are 2 reasons why Yogurt is different:
Unlike Whole Cow Milk beverage, your baby is not at risk of formula/breast milk being replaced by Yogurt or Cheese.* The medical community worries that if Whole Cow milk is introduced to an infant prior to 1 year old, that parents would stop formula and/or breastfeeding and use Milk as the replacement. This would possibly be dangerous to your baby's health.
Lactose is already broken down with the culturing of the yogurt or cheese and milk proteins are either removed or limited thus it is typically easier to digest; people with lactose intolerance often are be able to handle cheese and/or yogurt without trouble.* The same is true for some people with a milk protein (either to the casein or the whey) allergy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->