NO DEBATE. Poll opinions only: Extended breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by daneuse27, Oct 9, 2013.

?

When is the best time to stop breastfeeding?

1. I don't think breastfeeding is beneficial at all.

2. Its best to breastfeed for 1-2 years, and then wean them

3. 2-5 years, whenever they wean themselves or start school

4. No maximum age. A child should wean themselves, be it when they're 1, or when they're 10.

5. Undecided

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. daneuse27

daneuse27 Well-Known Member

A few discussion on Bnb have lead my curiosity to creating a poll for this.
    (If inappropriate, feel free to delete.)

There seem to be a lot of people who have varying opinions on how long it is best to breastfeed a little one for, when is the best age to stop, etc.

I don't want any debates, or fights about this. This is not to offend anyone. I'm just curious about the statistic of how many people believe different things. Maybe it will be interesting for us all to see the numbers (how many people believe it should stop at 6 months, 1 year, or whenever the child weans themselves.)

PS. Just realized I forgot to add under 1 year as an option. If you're most in favour of under 1, just choose 1-2 years and indicate below :)

2. TheNewMrsB

TheNewMrsB Harry's Mummy

I picked 1-2 but am more likely to stop around 1 with my son.

3. Marie000

Marie000 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, are you asking what is best or our personal preferences?
    Some people might prefer to wean early for personal reason but still believe in the benefits of extended breastfeeding.

Also, I think the last two options are not that different. I could be wrong, but I thought self-weaning past school age is very highly unlikely.

4. daneuse27

daneuse27 Well-Known Member

Hmm.. I guess a combination of both. I think mostly what YOU think is best for your children.

There are some people that nurse longer than they want to because they're having trouble weaning, for example. So I think im more curious about personal preference in how you want to raise your kids. But choose whichever you connect with the most :)

5. optimistic1

optimistic1 Mommy, Daddy, and Nadia!!

I personally don't want to bf past a year but I still believe in the benefits passed then and if I thought I could pump bm for her forever I would. But I want my body back...asap!

6. meli1981

meli1981 D, me, and our crazy 3!

Whenever he wants to stop:)

7. ShelbyLC

ShelbyLC Twin girls & baby boy!

I chose "no maximum age" but I firmly believe if the child would happily continue nursing, but the mother thinkss it is best to stop for her own physical or mental wellbeing, there's no shame in that.

8. Srrme

Srrme Well-Known Member

I chose 2-5 years old. I strongly believe in breastfeeding until 2 years at least. I would still be breastfeeding my boys but my milk has dried up temporarily due to pregnancy. I'll begin tandem feeding again once my milk returns.

9. NoodleSnack

NoodleSnack Well-Known Member

I don't see an option for: when mum wants to stop OR kid wants to wean him/herself, I think that's the best time to stop.

10. teal

teal Well-Known Member

My son self weaned at 18 months. He stopped over night. I did continue to offer but he was done.

11. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Mother of 4

Breast milk is always beneficial to humans. I give my oldest breastmilk I pump to help his immune system. He self weaned when I was pregnant with my last one he was breastfeed till 4 and still breastfeeding my other two. I go for self weaning.

12. CupcakeBaby

CupcakeBaby Pregnant with a Princess

I chose 2-5 years. I'll let DD bf for as long as she likes but school age would be my cut off if it went that far.

13. Beanonorder

Beanonorder Mom and expecting #2

I chose 1 - 2.
    I breastfed until 7 months. Had EBF worked out for me I possibly would have continued to one year.

14. missbabes

missbabes Mum of 2

I've gone with 1-2, but only because of the lack of under 1 years option. I'm exclusively expressing at current, but my original aim was for 6-9 months of breastfeeding.

15. pollydolly

pollydolly Well-Known Member

I'll be stopping at 6months or around that time due to personal reasons :) im sure its still beneficial past that point though so i clicked 1-2 x

16. cat lover

cat lover Mummy to 2 girls

I want to get to a year (nearly there!) may wean soon after as i want my body back (been preg, bf or both for over 3 years now)

17. kezia

kezia Mummy to Tyler xxx

Personally I will be stopping at 1 as she can then go on to cows milk.she will probably only be having 1 or 2 feeds a day by then anyway x

18. meli1981

meli1981 D, me, and our crazy 3!

I would bf for as long as he wants, but if he stops ill prob still pump and give him bm until maybe two:)

19. bananaz

bananaz Well-Known Member

I think it depends on both the kid and the mom so there is no "best age." I am happy to continue BFing past a year but I wouldn't fault someone else for weaning their LO sooner if that's what was best for their situation :shrug: Ideally I'd say at least a year and anything after that is gravy, but really any amount of BFing is better than none in terms of health benefits.

20. misspriss

misspriss Well-Known Member

I picked "no maximum". Human milk is appropriate for human children. I don't plan to introduce cow's milk, well, ever at this point. I hope to breastfeed until at least 4, maybe longer. I was breastfed until I was 3. It probably will not be very frequent at older ages.