No MA/SMP for second child?

Dana2011

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I went to jobcenter this afternoon to enquire about MA/SMP. and was told that a new policy has been introduced: MA/SMP is only available for your first baby. I was really surprised about what the staff told me. Is it true? I searched online but could not find any clue about it.
Is it a joke?! :cry: Does anybody knew about it? Please let me know, thanks a lot.

NOOOO surely not - I know that the surestart grant of £500 for lower income families is now only available for the first child but surely not MA/SMP that just would be ridiculous!!!! *am googling my head off and can see no reference to it*

No that isnt right, they must of thought you meant the sure start maternity grant :flower:

I just googled, and found a link from a forum, showing the same question.
it seems true!
just search 'no maternity grant for 2nd child'

statutory maternity pay (SMP) and Maternity Allowance (MA) are different from the SureStart Maternity Grant.
I've not heard or read anywhere that SMP or MA is no longer available - and I've been checking my entitlement as I'm 3 months pregnant.

I wouldn't be surprised if the JobCentre has got the information wrong though - I've seen all sorts of stories on here of people being given incorrect info when they went there for advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->