No medication second time around?

Monalissa

Reaction score
Has anyone gone natural for their second birth after opting for the epidural the first time around? How did you manage to cope the second time? Did you do anything to prepare differently?

I got to about 7 cm before I caved and got the epidural. I had a doula, but we didn't do much with positions, so I ended up lying on my back. In retrospect that was probably my biggest mistake and am still disappointed with myself and the doula for not encouraging different positions.

Next time I'd prefer not to even have IV (just a hep-lock) and really, really want to get through it without an epi. BUT I admit I found contractions at 7 cm HORRIBLE and am afraid I'll go right for that epidural again knowing it's so easily available.

So please tell me how you managed the second time! :flower:

I only have experience of one birth, but I had my daughter at home without any pain relief (other than hypnotherapy and a TENS machine) so maybe I might offer something helpful. I found that positioning made such a huge difference and yeah I agree, it's a shame your doula wasn't more helpful. Maybe she thought you were more comfortable on your back? Or she just wasn't a very good doula. I only laid down once during my birth (for a cervical exam) which was THE most painful part of giving birth. Being on your back is horrible as are cervical exams. There is no way in hell I'm doing that even for an exam next time (actually, I plan not to have any exams the next time). Being upright makes things so much easier and probably would make birth shorter as well. I found walking around was actually really comfortable for me between pushes as it kept everything moving and kept the pressure off my back. Otherwise, I sat and bounced on my birth ball, knelt over a chair and squatted with my husband helping to support my weight.

If it was me, I'd look into getting a better doula and talk over with her what you feel like you needed last time that you didn't get so she knows what to do for you. I'd also make sure you find a hospital or birthing center if that's where you plan to be that is supportive of you being upright and mobile (maybe one with a birth pool? I actually didn't like the pool but lots of people say they are great for pain relief). Have you thought about doing something like hypnobirthing or a similar approach? It was the best thing I did to prepare for my birth and I think it's why I hardly felt any pain (and certainly none I couldn't manage on my own). Also, look into a TENS machine? They don't seem to be used as often in the U.S. as they are here. But it's awesome and they really work (you just have to start it as soon as contractions start). Oh and you absolutely can decline the IV. I find it weird that everyone in the U.S. seems to get an IV for birth. That must be so awkward and uncomfortable and it really limits how you can move, which is the last thing you want in a natural birth. Just tell them you don't want it. Or better yet, look into birthing at a birth center where you'll have less pressure for any interventions you don't want. If I remember, there's a great one in Brooklyn.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I tried to walk but once contractions got stronger I had a really hard time with it. And you're right, trying to drag an IV pole around while you're walking and contracting was not easy! At the time I wasn't thinking clearly or I should have asked my doula or DH to do it for me (or they should have offered!). So I ended up back in bed which might not have been so bad if I was in a position other than lying down. I don't know why she didn't suggest other positions that might help me cope better.

Next time I think I'll bring a birthing ball with me. We have a TENS machine here at home but our doula wasn't trained in using it and didn't feel comfortable with it. You're right there is a birthing center in Brooklyn where I live! I've read mixed reviews though and I don't think insurance is covered. Home births aren't covered either and they can run around $6,000. So I'm kind of stuck in a hospital setting but plan to meet with some doctors before we start TTC. But I feel kind of silly putting so much emphasis on not wanting interventions when I don't have much faith in myself.

I just cringe when I think of how much pain I was in. I get a bit sad too, because labor slowed for a while, then right before I got the epidural it picked up. And then it slowed again. I'm guessing possibly from the epidural, which led to pitocin, because I was coming up on the 24 hour mark since my water broke. What's done is done and in the end it was OK but I do wonder if I had stuck it out if things would have progressed differently.

Thanks again and for listening to me ramble a bit. :flower:

Hello :)

I did not have an epidural first time round. I did have every other drug on offer though! With my second, I had a little gas and air at the very end.

Firstly, every birth is different. So, what contractions feel like at 7cm first time around is not necessarily how they will feel second time round.

Secondly, your environment and your support is quite important. I recommend you get your ducks in a row to make sure these factors are optimal for you!

As a doula and ante natal teacher in training, positioning is something I talk about during pregnancy and I CERTAINLY mention it during labour if a lady is on her back OR if she is struggling OR if labour is not progressing as expected.

If you want to avoid an epidural, then have a think about what you will do instead. Focus on what you will do and what you do want (because you tend to get what you focus on).

Have you considered making it less easy to have an epidural by having your baby at home or in a birth centre? Have you considered using a birth pool for relief? This helps you to relax, which makes labour more comfortable (tension usually causes or worsens pain). I used a pool second time round. I would say that the pain relieving effect (for me) was about 70-80%. So, very VERY effective! Some say it's almost as good as an epidural!

Do you have the option of gas and air? If you could go for that at 7cm (or whenever it is you get to that point) it is QUITE possible that you would go the rest of the way without the epi.

Yes yes!

I had pitocin and everything from G&A, morphine to epidural with my 1st (made it 4cm I think...). Horrible birth.

I had nothing wtih #2. I did a home birth though, because I knew I'd cave at the hospital. In the end I was transferred after 1 hour pushing but by then too late for an epidural. The perfect birth!

What kept me going.... "remember why you don't want an epidural"!

And why don't you want an epidural? Just out of interest? I had one first time and hope I don't this time as being on myback sucked.

And why don't you want an epidural? Just out of interest? I had one first time and hope I don't this time as being on myback sucked.

My baby got stuck at the shoulders at delivery and they broke his collarbone to get him out b/c I was paralyzed from the waist down. With my 2nd, his shoudlers got stuck, but I was able to move around and wiggle him out wtihout any problems!

I had epidural with my first but I was on the hormone drip (on a high rate too). With my second I used tens and g&a in the ambulance when I was uneccesary transferred in. I loved natural labour and birth :)

Ladies - thank you! I have not been on in a long time. I'm not sure I am brave enough for a home birth, but even if I was the cost would be around $6,000. Unfortunately we can't afford that. It's bad enough my hospital birth cost around $3,500. :(

Justkitty - when I checked into the hospital after laboring at home for about 6 hours, I was already at 5-6 centimeters. Then my labor slowed a lot. Right before I got the epidural (and the reason I got it!) my labor had started to pick up. But right after getting the epi it slowed again and I was given pitocin. I really feel the epi probably slowed things down. I'm grateful that I didn't have any complications due to pitocin etc but would rather not put myself in that position again. Plus I'd like to give breastfeeding the best start I can next time. :)

I've only had one birth so far. I was induced with pitocin, but went without an epidural. One thing that really helped me stick to my guns on that was thinking about side effects for the baby, and wanting to avoid those. I also put in my birth plan that I did not want to be offered any pharmalogical pain relief; I would ask for it myself if I really wanted it.

Generally, hospital policy is to give you an IV, because hospital policy also is that you can only have ice chips for hydration. I did end up with an IV as I was induced, but if I had gone into labor naturally I would've refused it. Definitely WAY out of the norm for my area, but I'd already discussed it with my doctor and presenting him with this report from the ACOG on oral intake during labor. I absolutely intended to drink clear liquids during labor, and did have a bit of juice and water throughout anyway (because I was being induced, and my son wasn't engaged at all before we started, I did try to err on the side of caution, knowing that my chances of a c-section were higher). Some doctors & hospitals have changed their policies on this already, but the area I live in is behind in a lot of ways.

Also, I have a friend from where I used to live, who had her 2nd child with a Certified Nurse Midwife. CNMs can deliver in a hospital, but their approach overall tends to be more natural. There are no CNMs in my area so I had to go to an OB, but I would imagine you could find one in NY!

I'll be able to answer this accurately in about 2 months (hopefully assuming he goes to full term) I had an epi with my first and hated it. I was in a military hospital last time with hospital staff, a lot of which were students, so I was probably doomed from the start, but you don't have much of a choice when it comes to military medicince. This time I am planning an unmedicated birth, and am seeing a midwife, and plan on giving birth at their birthing inn attached to a hospital. I love my midwife, she's so supportive and informative, so hoping it goes much better for me this time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->