No poo....day 4

hubblybubbly

Reaction score
Anyone with experience of this?

We're on Day 4, she passed meconium within the first 24 hours...had 5 in the first 36 hours, but since then nothing. She's feeding about every 2-4 hours, for between 10-20 mins each side, her latch isn't great...she slurps and clicks a bit but this has been improved by nipple shields.

She wees lots and it's clear, is alert but sometimes I have to wake her for feeds. She's seemed a bit extra burpy and gurgly overnight last night.

I've spoken with my midwife who says she'll weigh her tomorrow (day 5) to see what her weights doing but would anyone do anything in the meantime?
X

The first day I'm brought lo home she didn't pee or poo the entire day until late.

I wouldn't worry since she's making wet diapers. Soon you'll be wishing she'd stop pooing!

We had this. I was always told that bf babies don't poo as often as ff babies. We had to see a LC as by 3 weeks old he was only half an ounce above his birthweight. He went 4/5 days without a poo at three weeks and the lc said before 4/6 weeks bf babies should be pooing daily and then they go through a change to their digestive system and then may go less frequently. See how his weight is doing. If he's loosing still/staying the same it's a cert that he's not getting enough which could be down to poor latch. See what happens xx

Read this article: https://www.lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvdec97jan98p123.html

According to this, a baby needs adequate hind milk to poo. Could you be switching sides too often and not getting enough of the hind milk?

I wouldn't be too concerned if it is only day four. What is fairly common is a baby ditching all the meconium very quickly and then the colostrum isn't enough to form a substantial enough amount of stool for them to pass it and it takes until milk is in properly before you get bowel movements again. I would see what weight is doing later on today, if weight is fine (up to 10% loss is ok) I would just wait and see for a few more days. If weight gain is fine and continues to be but infrequent pooing continues it could be a food intolerance of some sort the most common culprit being dairy. My second youngest had this and as soon as dairy was gone from my diet he started pooing at a more normal rate xx

ETA: considering you have mentioned latching problems I would get baby double checked for tongue tie by someone suitably qualified

Thanks everyone, she did a monster overnight involving a full bed and mummy change....impressive! I'll get her checked again for tt, my first had a bad one and never latched, I think this babies ok, just my inexperience has meant that my nipples have been battered in the first days and I was hugely engorged with flat nipples, going to a breast feeding support group later in the week to get some tips!
X

My baby gains like crazy, but when his stomach was transitioning when my milk came in, he didn't poop for several days. I'd never seen anything about it in anything I'd read about breastfeeding in the first weeks. Everything said at least 3 a day for the first month. That being said, it is SUPER common for babies not to poop when their stomach is transitioning to breast milk, even if they are getting sufficient milk. As long as there are adequate wets in that time. I wish it said this somewhere, it would have saved me a ton of worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->