No U/S until 18 weeks????? Normal??

Morgan W

Reaction score
I find this odd I have a new doctor and with me daughter I had 3. This doctor is saying 18 weeks. Is this normal?

Assuming you're in the USA, the number and timing of ultrasounds depends on the practice. The first OB I went to during this pregnancy didn't offer an ultrasound until the 18-20 week anomaly scan, but the clinic I'm with now gave me an ultrasound the minute I walked through the door.

Mine said this too!!! and im in canada! i find this really weird!!

In our office (In NY), we do one ultrasound to confirm pregnancy if the mother wants it and that is usually done around 6-12 weeks gestation, and another around 18-20 weeks. Then, one toward the end to confirm position, fluid, weight, and things like that.

It's not abnormal to only have 1 U/S. I'm sure if you truly wanted one, you can complain about pains, or something and they may do one! LOL!

Im thinking about doing that lol (complaining) ive had a history of etopic so i just wanna make sure bub is in the right spot!

I live in Canada and they only do a 18-20 week scan. That's always how it is unless you have complications. It's such a long wait!

I'm in the US and with my first baby I only got the one scan at 18 weeks.. until I started having problems then they were really frequent. I did get tired of worrying that baby was okay so I faked having pain one time to get an ultrasound.. lol. It works. Every practice is different but I'm sure if you mention your history and concern to your doc they will be more understanding.

It is very normal here in the US to not have an u/s until then. Sometimes like when I was younger they didn't even offer me an u/s. I had none with my 17 year old and one at the end of my second tri with my 15 year old to make sure he was growing well. I was measuring small for my weeks. He was measuring just fine. Had another 3 weeks later because I switched doctors.

Even with my twins I probably would have had to wait until I was about 16 weeks for an u/s had I not been big and the doctor couldn't feel my uterus at 5w 2d where I had what looked like 2 sacs. Had to come back 2 weeks later at 7w 2d to see if I was having twins and I was. My next u/s wasn't until 16 weeks with a perinatologist and another at 20 weeks.

This is not how it is in Canada. We have something called an IPS test where they look for downsyndrome...We have an Ultrasound between 12 and 14 weeks...I had my 12 week yesterday and saw the little peanut. The next one I have will be 18-20 weeks, good luck

yeah with my first i had one at 10 weeks, and then the down snydrowme one and then another at 22 weeks. and then another at 35 weeks to draw ambiotic fluid.

Im in Canada and I will only have one around 18-20 weeks also, but that is more because I'm in a small town with a part time ultrasound tech. In the city u get three.. If you worried or would like more definitely tell ur doctor, after all in the states ur paying for them.

I'm in the US, I've had 2 ultrasounds so far. The first was at 7 weeks and was to confirm gestational age because I have irregular periods. The second was at 12 weeks and was an optional early screening test for Down's and other chromosomal disorders. I will have an anomaly scan at 20 weeks. So, if I had a regular period and had decided not to get the optional screening for DS, my first ultrasound would have been at 20 weeks.

Did you doctor offer you the down's screening test? If not, you should definitely ask about it if you are interested. Keep in mind that some insurance companies do not cover the costs of this test if you are in a low risk group (ie, you are young).

In the Canadian province where I live, you only get one at 20 weeks, unless you have complications. They won't tell you the gender, either. You can pay to go and have them done privately, get pics, find out gender, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->