Nonstress tests. questions!

lisaalove

Reaction score
So I had my growth ultrasound today and said baby is measuring fine but my fluid is on the lower end. So they want me to start coming in for NST'S weekly starting at my next appointment in two weeks. I was wondering if there is a correlation between people who have nonstress tests and c-secions. Or if you have had to have them and not had to have a section, this is one of my biggest fears as I don't do well on any kind of drug that makes me feel like I'm not in control of my body... I plan on asking more about this at my next appointment but two weeks seems like forever away so I figured I'd ask here! Also what should I expect? Is it about the same as fetal monitoring when in labor?

I had non stress tests in the last 8 weeks of my late pregnancy they were every 2 days I had a normal vagina delivery no mention of c section. I was monitered all the way through labour but mine was because of pre eclampsia. I don't know about low fluid so can't help there but don't think the nsts are any reason for a c section unless there is other reasons xx

I'm currently getting NST's weekly due to gestational diabetes. They are basically just a way for your Dr or Midwife to make sure that the baby's heart rate is healthy when He/she is awake and active inside. I don't really think there is a correlation between NST's and C sections, but there have definitely been more ultrasounds...if baby isn't cooperating they tend to do scans to make sure everything is ok. Advice-bring a book or your cell to keep you entertained. They can take 30 minutes to an hour depending on your baby's activity. Also try to eat something right before you go to make sure the baby is moving around when they hook you up. :)

I had them weekly in the last few weeks of my previous pregnancy and I went on to deliver naturally.
I agree I don't believe there is any correlation between NST and C sections.

I'm not having the nst (have had only 1), but I do have low fluid as well. They started me on weekly visits with sonos at 32 weeks. They check the fluid level, make sure she's practicing breathing ok, and watch for movement. They have said if the fluid gets below a 5 they will take action, but I believe that means induction. No mention of c section has ever been made.

Also wanted to let you know, the reason for the nst combined with the low fluid was explained to me at my last visit: when the fluid gets low some babies get unhappy and stop doing what they should (ie: practicing breathing and moving about) and that's why you need to be monitored. If either of those slows down, they will intervene. I doubt it means c section though. I am lucky enough to be delivering at a hospital with one of the lowest c section rates in the country though.

Thank you all, I am just paranoid that something will happen where I won't have any control over a section or not. Glad to know that's not the case it seems.

I'm not having the nst (have had only 1), but I do have low fluid as well. They started me on weekly visits with sonos at 32 weeks. They check the fluid level, make sure she's practicing breathing ok, and watch for movement. They have said if the fluid gets below a 5 they will take action, but I believe that means induction. No mention of c section has ever been made.

Also wanted to let you know, the reason for the nst combined with the low fluid was explained to me at my last visit: when the fluid gets low some babies get unhappy and stop doing what they should (ie: practicing breathing and moving about) and that's why you need to be monitored. If either of those slows down, they will intervene. I doubt it means c section though. I am lucky enough to be delivering at a hospital with one of the lowest c section rates in the country though.

I'll deffinately have to ask my OB more then because they told me my fluid is at an 8 eight now. Has your fluid gone down at all since they started the scans? Thank you for letting me know what you know. I just hate that I have to wait another two weeks till I find out more.

I'll deffinately have to ask my OB more then because they told me my fluid is at an 8 eight now. Has your fluid gone down at all since they started the scans? Thank you for letting me know what you know. I just hate that I have to wait another two weeks till I find out more.

That started weekly scans when it reached a 9, dropped to a 7 so they hooked me up to fluids and sent me to high risk. Got it up to a 12 and stopped going to high risk, now it's back down to an 8. Basically I'm far enough along now they're just monitoring and if it goes lower than 5 will get her out

I have had NSTs with both of my girls and no c sections for me. NSTs just mean there is a cause for monitoring, checking on baby in there, not necessarily meaning you'll have to have it all end a c section. However, there are many medical reasons that may warrant an unexpected c section ( not that you'll need one) but there can be certain things or stress to the baby that warrant a section that are out of your control. No one wants one, but maybe just get some info on them to help you feel a bit more informed in case the need arises, but theres no way to say whether you'll need one or not just from NSTs! Best wishes!

That started weekly scans when it reached a 9, dropped to a 7 so they hooked me up to fluids and sent me to high risk. Got it up to a 12 and stopped going to high risk, now it's back down to an 8. Basically I'm far enough along now they're just monitoring and if it goes lower than 5 will get her out

Okay. I wonder if since I'm in the u.s. like you my doctor will have the same views... when did they find out that your fluid was low if you don't mind my asking?

Okay. I wonder if since I'm in the u.s. like you my doctor will have the same views... when did they find out that your fluid was low if you don't mind my asking?

They found out at 27ish weeks. I remember being quite scared when I went to the high risk dr at 28 weeks. I've been drinking 100-150 Oz of water per day and avoiding soft drinks, as they dehydrate you. I've also been sick twice since finding out, so that doesn't help either.

They found out at 27ish weeks. I remember being quite scared when I went to the high risk dr at 28 weeks. I've been drinking 100-150 Oz of water per day and avoiding soft drinks, as they dehydrate you. I've also been sick twice since finding out, so that doesn't help either.

Goodness that is a lot of water. Puts my 64 oz a day to shame. (Which I thought was a lot!) I've always been more for juice than soda anyways. But I can't imagine being sick while knowing that had to have been painful for you to go through. 32 weeks was when they decided that I was kmeasuring too small (fundal) and they wanted me to go in for an ultrasound. I was measuring 29 and then when I went in yesterday at 34w I was measuring 30 but now that they know he's measuring fine and it's my fluid she didn't seem as concerned.

That's good that it's not him that is the reason for the small fundal height. I think being as far along as you are the fluid is less of an issue and just needs to be monitored like me, whereas if it was him would definitely be cause for a scary concern.

I had them for a couple months because we had some growth questions (they didn't amount to anything). I had a normal vaginal delivery, no complications. Good luck to you!

That's honestly what I was worried about I didn't think it could have been anything else.. now I feel like I have a whole new set of worries. I'm just happy I'm far enough along to where he could be delivered with minimal problems.

I have nst twice a week and a biophysical profile once a week to monitor baby, along with a growth scan once a month.

My son was stillborn at 30 weeks two years ago, so they are doing all this as precautions.

None of it will increase risk of a c-section, of course unless they would find the baby to be in severe distress suddenly, in which case I'd be thankful to get her out quickly.

I have nst twice a week and a biophysical profile once a week to monitor baby, along with a growth scan once a month.

My son was stillborn at 30 weeks two years ago, so they are doing all this as precautions.

None of it will increase risk of a c-section, of course unless they would find the baby to be in severe distress suddenly, in which case I'd be thankful to get her out quickly.

I'm sorry for your loss smoore. ♡ I understand what you mean about being thankful for a Csection if needed. I would be too, I just have extreme anxieties about going under any kind of medication that would alter my feeling in control over myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->