Normal food at 6 months?

L

Laura--x

WHen i took Maisie to get weighed yesterday we got talking about weaning and i told them how well we were doing, how long shed been having meals for ect ect.. and she told me that by now she can be going onto normal meals, eg having whatever we have at dinner (obv with no salt ect ) and just mushing it up.

I thought 6 months was way too early for normal adult meals? She was going on about chicken and rice and everything..

What are some good first meal ideas?? Im stuck for what to do..

She also told me i can start giving her weetabix for breakie :)happydance:) and to use normal full fat milk when making it up, but i thought they couldnt have this untill 12 months? Or is that just as a drink?

Ive brought her some apples and pears today because she also told me to start introducing finger foods at dinner time, sandwiches, apple, pears, bits of cheese ect.

So im just looking for some good meal recipes really?

We literally just give Violet whatever we have..

She's had curry, mince, pasta bake, pasta salad, veg, fruit, chips, potatoes.. you name it she's probably had it.

Pasta is a good one to start with.. We give her a couple of pieces of twirly pasta and if we have salad then we'll give her a spring onion and slice of apple and banana or cucumber to go with it. And we usually have chicken with it so we give her a piece of chicken too.

Erm I'm not sure about the whole mushing it up though as Violet just has it how it is.

She also loves roasted parsnips - they're easy for her to hold and she can really suck on them.

Sorry I don't think I've been much help x

Really? So what do you do,just give her her own little portion on a plate? does she pick at it herself or do you feed it to her?

its all so confusing :/

From the books i have they say babies can have almost anything at 6 months.

Alex doesnt seem to like runny purees much so im thinking of trying him onto mash foods.

Faille are you doing blw?

Shes been having runny food so far, stage 1 jars. I feel abit extreme going from runny food to proper adult food..

Ive started giving her toast yesterday and she loves it.. but i have to hold it for her lol she doesnt seem to like the texture of it when she holds it, she grabs it then drops it straight away.. So maybe im thinking of just giving her little bits of food like that to get used too instead of throwing them at her for a meal, and slowly increasing her up untill she is on proper adult food iykwim?

have you tried making any foods? homemade comes out a little rougher than jars so might be the next step for you? I havent seen stage 2 jars so im not sure of theyre mashed or lumpy in them.

No, ive not done anything home made but i really want to start.

Thats what i was hoping for, some ideas for good homemade recipes that are simple to make?

xx

Yeah we're doing BLW which is why I don't think I'm much help..

Going from puree to giving her whole food does seem a bit extreme, maybe stick with puree and just introduce one finger food / solid food with each meal. Like you done with the toast and then at dinner, give her a jar like normal and something that you'd usually eat (like a bit of pasta or a slice of apple etc). You could always take the BLW approach with solid food and just let her explore and play with it first rather than worry about whether she actually eats any as she'll still be getting everything she needs from milk and you know she's eaten because she's still having the jars.

these are ones i do:

carrot and swede
brocolli sweet potato parsnip
carrot and potato
apple and pear sometimes added cinnamon
peach pear and apple
apple and rusk
the list goes on :lol:

I recent bought the Annabel Karmel book, weaning for toddlers and babies and have found it brilliant :D

How about mashed banana and yogurt? Or if she's having toast then you can do mashed banana on toast

Or mashed potato with veg like carrot, broccoli or cauliflower mashed up a little.

What about rice..? Or would you not feel comfortable giving her rice yet?

Scrambled egg is a good one but I don't know whether you'd want to mix that with anything else though.

The inside of sausages might be good? It's a mashed kind of texture anyway.. How about bangers and mash, just without the skin of the sausages? (Sausages and bacon are naturally high in salt so this will be good as a once in a while thing not a regular meal)

I'm not sure if you eat fish or not but that might also be a good meat to try as it just crumbles. We don't fish because we both hate it lol

I think im going to try some mash and veg today.. carrot or brocolli i think.

I dont have a blender atm.. will i need to get one? Or when i steam/boil the veggies will it be easy enough to mash together by hand?

x

If you cook the veg a little longer than normal then they'll be pretty soft so they should be ok to mash by hand.

If they're not soft enough then just cook a little longer (that's for boiling, don't know about steamed)

It might be easier to cut off the stalks from the broccoli though and just mash the top of it rather than trying to mash the stalk as well.

also have a look at the annabel karmel top 100 purees there some really nice recipes for casseroles, bolognese and fruit and veg purees. xx

Katie is 2 wks older than Maisie, i give her 3 mini meals a day. I give her a combo of milk, finger foods, home cooked meals and jars.

She has 2 teeth so she has stage 2 jars which is 'proper' food.

For brekkie she has either toast, fruit or half a Weetabix with 2oz of her milk.

Boil the veg and mash it with a fork, i did.

Same with pasta.

Dont worry you will be fine.

V xxxxx

at that age, i brought some annabelle karmel small pasta shapes and you can mix a little of it with maybe a tomato puree, you can a little mashed carrot to it and or stir in cheese.

also, this was maddi's very favourite first chicken dish:
https://www.annabelkarmel.com/recipes/babies-6-9-months/baby_food_recipe_chicken_puree_carrots_apple

with chicken i would just cook a little with some baby stock, like in boots, and add some veggies, anything like carrot or parsnip or cauliflower and wait till soft and mash or puree - what ever you feel comfortable with.

Yup like Princess_bump said,Annabel Karmel does tiny little pasta (we used to use the stars) which you can mix with a cheese sauce,Ophelia used to love that when she was about Maisie's age.
Also you could try baking a sweet potato and then cut it in half and scoop out the middle (it should be really soft and easy to mash up,just like a normal potato).Its obviously a bit sweeter than regular potato so Maisie might prefer it :thumbup:
You will do fine though hon!I know it seems a bit daunting but you will find your way with it.xxxxx

Yup like Princess_bump said,Annabel Karmel does tiny little pasta (we used to use the stars) which you can mix with a cheese sauce,Ophelia used to love that when she was about Maisie's age.
Also you could try baking a sweet potato and then cut it in half and scoop out the middle (it should be really soft and easy to mash up,just like a normal potato).Its obviously a bit sweeter than regular potato so Maisie might prefer it :thumbup:
You will do fine though hon!I know it seems a bit daunting but you will find your way with it.xxxxx

Boots and C&G also do baby pasta, cheaper too:thumbup:

Laura

Sugar free kids jelly pots go down well
Bananas and custard
Parsnip, sweet potato mashed up
Potato mashed and cheese

Caine started on these and loves EVERYTHING I give him now, he will eat anything

Spag bol is good too xx

I tried her with some mash mixed with carrot,brocolli and cauliflower yesterday and she hated it :( she was just heaving all over the place :( i just gave in and gave her a jar in the end.

I tried her with some mash mixed with carrot,brocolli and cauliflower yesterday and she hated it :( she was just heaving all over the place :( i just gave in and gave her a jar in the end.

Did she like the jar?? Giving them a jar is fine i do it loads, Morrisons have good offers on them like 6 for £2.50 for the Heinz ones.

What bout adding baby gravy to the veg, i got some, worked a treat.

V xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"