Not CIO but Fuss It Out lol.

i_am_amy

New mum to Abigail.
Reaction score
Hi all. My LO is getting quite good at falling asleep when I put her in her basket still awake but drowsy. The only thng is that she fussed around for 5-10 mins before she doses off. Sometimes it can be longer and I wondered if this is ok or just as bad as leaving her to cry? I don't leave her to cry at all but is it ok to leave her to fuss (pant, thrash her head a bit)? Does anyone else's LO do this before dropping off? Any advice would be much appreciated. Xxx

Hi Amy,
I think that is completely different to leaving her to cry. Often babies have quite bizarre ways of self-soothing at first, like thrashing their heads about from side to side. Might not look very relaxing to us, but hey, whatever works! Well done on getting her to self-soothe, I still don't dare put Thomas into his basket unless he is sound asleep, although he will fall asleep by himself in the bouncy chair or in the pram (OK I know it is the movement that puts him to sleep but he will fall asleep in the pram even if it's not moving sometimes).

I wouldn't leave Thomas to cry at all, but I do leave him to it if he is thrashing about or grunting or making other funny noises, he does it in the middle of the night a lot and usually goes back into a deep sleep.

Yeah I do this if he wakes in the night or when I put him down asleep. He normally falls asleep feeding and then wakes when I put him down, I leave him to thrash about and "get comfy" to see if he'll sort himself and if he starts crying then I go to him. I learnt a number of times when he woke in the night that it's not always necessary to go to him. I used to pick him up as soon as he stirred then one night I was just sooo tired I accidentally fell back asleep, next thing I knew it was morning and he was asleep so I realised sometimes he doesn't need me! His new trick is to pull on the roof of his nest and kicks the sides to wake me up if I don't get to him at his first stir, lol, but yeah I think it's their way of self soothing, be it gurgling or wriggling or whatever.

Violet goes mad thrashing her head from side to side and wriggling and sticking her bum in the air, but she's just getting comfy.

It's the same as when I'm holding her and she rubs her face against my shoulder when she's tired or if her head is in my elbow, she wiggles her head about to get comfy.

If she starts moaning and groaning then I'll leave her for 5-10mins as she'll usually drop off but if she starts crying then I'll go to her. If I go to her when she's just having a little moan then it makes it worse as I wake her up more by going to her.

Haha i love it when Scarlett does this! She looks so mental! She throws her arms and head around and makes snorting noises like a horse lol But withing 10-15 mins shes sound asleep!
x

Christian does the same thing when I put him to bed at night but he's soothing himself that way. If he cries later, I'll go to him but otherwise, will let him be to drift off.

we leave willow if shes fussing a little bit, she eventually falls asleep. if it turns into crying then we pick her up

Although last night was up when she was asleep to check she was ok cos i think she has a tummy bug and im scared something bad is going to happen.
xxxx

I leave anything other than crying. What I regard as fussing doesn't seem to distress him, he's just grumbling, getting ready for sleep. I've found if I go to him for a non-cry he WILL cry whereas nine times out of ten left to it he'll calm down himself and be asleep before we know it. I figure if it was important enough he knows how to let us know and he knows we're right there as well.

Fussing is one of the ways of self-soothing,it's normal but weird :) i remember when twins were newborns,we couldn't sleep from all the noises they'd make!

I think fussing is fine, if she was upset she would start crying.

Jack sometimes wakes up and starts fussing and I usually leave him to see if he will resettle himself - and sometimes he does- sometimes he doesn.t

I think what we have to remember is that babies like adults go through a process of falling asleep. Some adults (like my husband) head hits the pillow and they are asleep in 2 minutes. Other people like me, lie there and toss and turn and take alot longer to fall asleep. I usually lie there for around 30 minutes before I fall asleep.

Some babies fall asleep easily and quickly. Others take more time to switch off and drop off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->