• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Not many good reactions, WDYT of the name

Dexter is getting popular again now (not too popular at all so don't worry!) but certainly is on a lot of people's shortlists, I know it is on mine! I really like it.

My favourite boy's name is Caspar and I keep getting grief about it but TOUGH! It is a real, proper name and unusual and they can just all get used to it if we pick it! I love Dexter for the same reasons.

Please please go with your heart and not be put off by other people, I know so many people who have changed because of family and friends and really regretted it. xx

I like Caspar too! I like uncommon names that still sound good. I know many people don't like it because ofits association with Casper the ghost but the name itself is really nice if people could surpass the ghost hehe. I also love the boy name Caspian, a prince character in the book "Chronicles of Narnia".

I love Caspian as well but I felt that it was a little more wacky than Caspar! The thing is, kids nowadays don't even know Casper the ghost so it probably wouldn't mean anything to them anyway! Plus I figured it's not a terrible character to be associated with, at least it's not a really evil character or something! x

Seeing as you asked for honest opinions: It reminds me of Dexter the fictional serial killer and of three different pets I know (1 cat, 2 dogs). That being said, I don't think it's a bad name or anything, I just personally wouldn't use it because of those associations.

name him what you like :) our son is Adrian Blake ... everyone told me Adrian is a girls name (even though it was a boys name first) and then i got "AAADDDRRRRIIIAAAANNN" **in Rocky's voice** ALOT my mother and grandmother still hate it but i still love it :) ... i think its a very cool name :p and thats all that matters !! i dont personally like Dexter but im sure lots of people wouldnt like Adrian for their boys. I told my grandmother if this baby is a boy he will be named Jaxon James (and yes i love sons of anarchy :p ) and she insists Jax is an aweful short form and he should be Jackson so he cn be called Jack ... i really dont like the name Jack lol i think Jax is much cooler :p

i wuld also like to add that my hubby wanted our son to be names Sebastian Blake :p but i HATE the name Sebastian because of the little mermaid and my nana's cat is named Sebastian :p but my mom thought Sebastian was a much nicer name than Adrian lol you cant please everyone so just please yourself :)

Hmmm I think Dexter is a pretty neutral name for me. Only Dexter I know of is the one for that show. I can't see anyone being bullied over it though. I know when I hear the name Poindexter I think of someone of the nerdy type. I think if you guys really like it and can't think of any REAL reasons why it would bother the kid then go for it....for example...when I said Gina to my BF he immediately pronounced it as if you were to say vaGINA. :dohh: such a dork....so that got a veto lol.

Noo Dexter is a great name, I have a friend called Dexter from child hood he lives round the back of my house he has always been very popular and never had any trouble with his name.

And by time your baby is old enough kids his age wont know who Dexters lab is. x

Hmmm I think Dexter is a pretty neutral name for me. Only Dexter I know of is the one for that show. I can't see anyone being bullied over it though. I know when I hear the name Poindexter I think of someone of the nerdy type. I think if you guys really like it and can't think of any REAL reasons why it would bother the kid then go for it....for example...when I said Gina to my BF he immediately pronounced it as if you were to say vaGINA. :dohh: such a dork....so that got a veto lol.

lol...I would have jokingly punched my OH if he had said that - yep, what a dork lol

If we ever have a boy he will be called Dexter, I absolutely love the name, love the TV show and it's also from one if my favorite books so no matter what anyone says I won't be changing my mind, and DF loves it too! I might be a bit biased but I say go for it!!:thumbup:

name him what you like :) our son is Adrian Blake ... everyone told me Adrian is a girls name (even though it was a boys name first) and then i got "AAADDDRRRRIIIAAAANNN" **in Rocky's voice** ALOT my mother and grandmother still hate it but i still love it :) ... i think its a very cool name :p and thats all that matters !! i dont personally like Dexter but im sure lots of people wouldnt like Adrian for their boys. I told my grandmother if this baby is a boy he will be named Jaxon James (and yes i love sons of anarchy :p ) and she insists Jax is an aweful short form and he should be Jackson so he cn be called Jack ... i really dont like the name Jack lol i think Jax is much cooler :p

Jaxon is another name I love and have seriously considered it this time. I do love Sons of Anarchy too :winkwink: The only reason I haven't gone with it is because I don't like the name Jack/Jac either, it's far too popular for me. My cousin and my best friend both named their boys Jac last year and I wouldn't like that name being used as a nickname for Jaxon... I love Jax as a nickname though! :cloud9:

Honestly i really don't know why people feel so free to make negative comments about things which are obviously important to you and which you've put a lot of thought into.
People laughed at both our boy and girls name choices when i was pregnant last time. They even made comments about what we named our dog!
I say stick with what you like most. We did with my daughter and have never regretted it x

I think it's an amazing name! Kinda edgy but not too crazy either. I'd go for it! :)

Love Dexter! Doesn't sound right with our first son's name (I don't like the 2 'err's at the end Oscar and Dexter) otherwise would be on our list.

Reminds me of the actor Dexter Fletcher who I also love :) xxx

I love it! Dex for short is really cool too :) x x x

We considered this for our last boy and DH still likes it for this one. The only association I have now is from the tv show (which I love and I think the actors quite cute). I don't have a bad association from it at all even though he isn't quite right with his actions etc, lol. I don't think it's a nerdy name at all if that's what you're worried about. Hope people haven't turned you off completely. Such a shame if you really love it, x

We do really love it, and think we're going to go for it. The only other boy name we love is Jaxon and we have too many friends and family with kids called Jac/Jack and wouldn't want "Jaxon" to be shortend to that, and Jax is just too close to it.

DF's mum doesn't like Dexter. She didn't like what DF's brother was going to name his son, and they ended up changing his name when he was born! I'm not sure she persuaded them but that might have been one of the reasons...

Thank you all for your opinions. :flow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->