Not putting fathers name on the birth certificate?

Just wanted to say

My mam was 16 when she had me 'my father' was also the same age. He didnt want to sign my birth certificate as he was busy. He never had any part in my life the only time I did 'see him' was at his funeral when I was 14. It hasnt ever bothered me only having my mams name on there..She has been honest with me all along told me who he was, explained the situation, given him chances he didnt want to take his loss.

I think in the situation where a dad cant even be bothered to turn up for 5 mins to sign a register then no they shouldnt be. However I do think the mother should be open and honest about the situation.

I wouldn't have put the 'father' of my first baby on the birth certificate. He was a violent man who was mentally ill and suffered from extreme paranoia and delusions. I eventually lost the baby because of him. I spent my pregnancy terrified and wondering how on earth I was going to protect my little girl from his rages and flights of fancy, where he would invent stories about being a ninja or a lord. Keeping his name off the birth certificate would've given us some protection but I still would've had some big court battles on my hands to keep him away, since he wasn't diagnosed and was capable of acting very rationally when it suited him.

This decision would've had nothing to do with spite or me judging him unworthy. I didn't know my own dad due to divorce and that has caused me a lot of pain over the years. I wouldn't lightly inflict that on any child. Sometimes, women genuinely do have very good reason to refuse dual parental responsibility.

Yes, I think the father's name should be on the birth certificate, if it is known. It is not about the rights of the Mother or Father, but about the rights of the child to have that information. I do think a lot of Mum's leave it off out of spite.

My Stepdaughter's Mum didn't put her Dad's name on her BC. Then, when she met my husband when her daughter was a year old, she had his name put on there instead as they were getting married and she wanted him to be the 'Dad'. My stepdaughter is now 18 and has no idea that the man who she thinks is her Dad isn't. My husband loves her just as much as his son, but agrees she has a right to know he is not her biological Dad. Her Mum never wanted her to know and now it has been left so long it is going to be very hard for her to take in and she is going to feel betrayed by so many people. :nope:

It shouldn't be up to the mum what she wants to put on the birth certificate.
Its a factual document that is infact her childs - her child deserves to have a birth certificate with the whole truth on it - that includes her dads name too.
People can change.

This :thumbup:

I think being a dad and a father are two different things, imo all kids have the right to know who their father is so should go on their birth certificate, there's lots of terrible mothers out there, should they not go on it either? its a legal document and imo both parents should be on it, its not about preference or whether the parents like each other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->