notching on left side during ultrasound?

Powell130

Reaction score
Has anyone else had this or know what it means? I couldn't find much about it on google. My right side was fine but my perinatologist said there was notching on my left side. When he said there wasn't any on the right side i asked him if that was a good or bad thing and he said no notching is good but when he noticed the notching on the left side he didn't seem concerned it anything and I forgot to ask him what it means and ask if it's bad for baby or indicates A problem. My next appointment with the midwife is next Tuesday and i don't see him again until the 29th for my last growth scan. So im assuming if he was really worried I'd be seeing him sooner or that he'd have went into more detail about what it means.

...nobody?? I can't be the only one that has had this?!?

hmm...i can honestly say ive never heard of such a thing. wish i could help but even with all of my pregnancy, my child birth education, and my pregnancy and doula trainings ive never heard of such a thing....it must not mean anything horrible or else im sure they would have you go to the ER or something.

What did he mean by a notching? Like an indent?

He's probably referring to the graph on the ultrasound that comes up st the bottom when they're looking at uterine artery flow and a notch is a low dip in it. Do you have a copy of your report? On mine one of the arteries isn't performing quite as well (say bottom 20th percentile) but the other is in 90th. Still both in the normal range so suspect yours is the same too if he was unconcerned.

https://radiopaedia.org/articles/uterine-artery-flow-notching

x

Might have meant a notch in the placenta? one of my friends had this, not totally sure what it means for baby/delivery though.

Hello notching means that the arteries the supply the placenta arent working as they should be. A notch can in worse case cause reverse flow through the placenta meaning it stops oxygen/nutrients getting to the baby fast enough. Ive had placenta problems in the past and had a doppler scan at 24 weeks to check for notches. I was told that if there were notches at that point, my aspirin would be doubled (aspirin keeps blood thin so that it can get through the placenta easier). Notching can be mild and can be managed through monitoring alone. If notching was starting to cause reverse flow through the placenta, i think they would think about delivery as long as you are far on enough but if your doctor hasnt arranged any immediate follow im assuming it was very mild. I was told that a lot of women are shown to have mild notching on doppler scans its quite common and they recommend low dose aspirin. x

I don't have a copy of my report, we don't get them over here unfortunately :/
He didn't seem too concerned so I'm going to try to assume it was mild. He didn't even mention aspirin which I had no idea it could help that. I took 81mg up until 2nd tri (on my own, I started taking it while TTC) should I start taking it again I wonder, or wait to see if they tell me to?

What did he mean by a notching? Like an indent?

It showed up when he did the doppler part of the US to check my blood flow. He said babies blood flow was good and everything so I guess it's not serious ATM. I just don't want it to get serious. My cousin is a nurse and said it could lead to placenta abruption and/or Pre-E but she said since I have GD, I'm more prone to it anyways :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->