Now refusing the spoon and most finger foods too, help!

Countrygirl13

Reaction score
So last week, my LO was on a mixture of pureed 'main course' and yoghurt dessert with slices of fruit and veg as finger foods. This week she clamps her mouth shut, waves her hands in front of her face violently and won't take a spoon of food.
Not teeling, ill, and when i think about it, it's been getting harder to feed her for several weeks. I assumed it was the food i was serving.
Having surfed the baby websites, spoon refusing is apparently a 'thing' at her age. Why don't people tell you this stuff?? She now wants to be independent apparently.

Well miss independent will only now eat the following...

Rice cakes
Bread sticks
Apple slices
Pear slices
Organix crispy things
That's it.

When i offer the veg sticks she was eating recently, they get crushed in furious fists and chucked straight on the floor. I could have used her to mash the family potatoes this evening.

Is there a tasteless vitimin liquid i can pre soak her bread sticks ins before drying them out and serving them?
Serviousy though, how can i get he to eat? How long before your baby stopped chucking food on the floor and actually tried some? Help!

Mine is going through this especially stressful stage! She is teething a molar, but it's hit and miss - sometimes she will accept a spoon and others, she will do exactly what you describe, as well as shouting 'Na na na na!', which (it is becoming obvious) means 'no'.

It sucks! However, she will usually eat if it's something off my plate. You could try offering your LO some of what you are eating in small bites from your fork. Or let her have a go herself with a spoon - this also usually appeals to mine. I think it's an 'independence' thing lol.

I'd say that sounds perfectly fine. Try not to focus on the range of food and the quantity and think about it as a chance for her to learn to explore new foods. If she chucks everything else that isn't on that list on the floor, not a big deal. Just keep offering her everything. You don't have to make anything special, just the same foods you're eating. If you're having a sandwich for lunch, cut her off a square. If you're having pasta for dinner, give her a few bits on a bowl. Sit back. Sit on your hands. Don't stress about it or try to encourage her to eat. The easiest way to make them picky is to try to get them to eat. It makes meals stressful. Just let her play, give her some foods you know she likes and then lots of new foods too. She'll eventually come around, but that's really normal at her age. When my daughter was 9 months, she ate pretty much nothing but fruit and yogurt for a month. We'd done BLW from the start so she'd never been spoonfed and had always fed herself. I just kept offering her all the same things we were having. Once day she just tucked in and ate half of like a 6 inch quiche! And then after that, she'd eat anything again. As long as you don't make a big deal of it or start limiting what you offer her, it will be just a phase and it will pass. They go through these phases periodically and you just have to roll with it.

As for vitamins, if she's BF, I think they recommend vitamins from 6 months anyway. If she's FF and still taking plenty of formula, she'll get all her vitamins and minerals from there anyway. If she's dropping down to not having much formula anymore (I think it's under 400ml?), then they recommend starting on a vitamin supplement. We use the WellBaby one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->