NTNP and drinking?

3011busyyear

Reaction score
So the other night we dtd:blush: after a brief discussion and agreement that we are now ntnp.
I've been thinking about it since and I'm not sure what to doin terms of preparing my body. As we are not technically ttc, probably will only get round to dtd once a month I reckon :shrug: do I start taking pre natal vitamins, doi drink not drink-I thought so but wouldn't want to find out I'm pregnant and know I'd been drinking but as we aren't dtd much and probably not on best dates is this taking it too seriously and should I just relax :shrug:

I knew as soon as he was ready to ntnp I would already be one step ahead and thinking about ttc :haha:

If it were me I'd get some folic acid and take that and as far as drinking I would just do it in moderation, ie only a glass or two of wine...

When we started ttc I gave up alcohol, started trying to eat more healthy and basically became a nun who had sex :haha:

But after a couple of months I just didn't feel like "me" so I just went back to having fun and being myself - including drinking if I felt like it - then lo and behold I fell pregnant!!

I even got drunk with my family the week before I found out I was pregnant!!!

When we were TTC first time around I would drink until I ovulated and then I would just be a bit more careful the second two weeks, I would still drink but in moderation. I did read that in the very early days alcohol won't pass through to the baby anyway, but don't quote me on that as it may not be true, I guess it can't until implantation anyway? My second pregnancy I actually went out and got really drunk after getting a BFN (we were not TTC I just tested to make sure as we had dtd and I was off out drinking.) It wasn't until two weeks later that I got a BFP and I still feel bad about that. As for vitamins, I would have thought it won't hurt to take them from now, they can't do you any harm.

We tried for a while and I took prenatals everyday, stopped drinking, etc and didn't get pregnant. Then I decided maybe we should just wait a few more years so i stopped being so careful and thinking about it and even made an appointment for BC and I got pregnant the next cycle!!

what is ntnp... i can work out you are ttc but what does it stand for??

Like bigbetty, I stopped alcohol the first 2 months of TTC, then I decided that I couldn't be bothered to abstain just to see my period come back every month, so I resumed, without doing any excess. I only fell pregnant after 14 cycles of TTC, although I had 2 or 3 glasses in total during the 2WW. I stopped after my BFP.

Rest assured, during the 2WW there is no sharing of blood between mum and baby, so the baby will not be harmed, as long as you don't do any excess.

With the prenatal vitamins, I've been told that you should start taking them about three months before starting TTC, partly because of trying to build up and partly because you really want high levels of folic acid right from the start. If the pregnancy supplements are too expensive, you could just get a folic acid one - or eat lots of spinach. I think it is spinach? Anyone know?

Thanks girls! *reaches for the bottle of wine* :blush: well I need something to wash those pre natal vitamins down! :haha:

we are still ntnp and I drink probably more than i should but have cut down and i would stop if i got a bfp.. if we have no luck in 6 months or so i may abstain for a bit and see if that helps! i take folic acid every day and a prenatal when i remember for a few extra vits xx

Foods high in Folic Acid!

Green leafy vegetables - cabbage, broccoli, spinach, Brussels sprouts, spring greens, kale, okra and fresh peas.
Pulses - chickpeas, black-eyed beans and lentils
Fortified breakfast cereals.
Wholemeal and wholegrain breads and rolls or those fortified with folic acid.

This is the site I found the food info on. I read it through and thought others might be interested :)

I have been told that all women of "childbearing age" should take a prenatal vitamin. I started taking them only a few weeks before we started ttc- and we got pregnant quickly. SO start taking them right away, I would say-at least the folic acid.

As for the drinking- everyone will say different, its all about what you are comfortable with. I asked a similar question when I was ttc- and the best answer (in my opinion) was "Drink 'til it's pink" (meaning the pink line that means BFP on certain tests). so thats what I did- until the tests were positive I enjoyed my drinks. Of course, I did not drink in excess like I may have done before:blush:
But if you ask me- Mammas give up a lot to get pregnant/while pregnant/once they are mommies, and you never really know how long it can take to get pregnant, so I feel that we should still be enjoying our selves and not stressing out while ttc. Yes- the sacrifices are WORTH it, of course! but I am just saying that having a few drinks while ttc (or ntnp) is not going to hurt. I enjoyed my lovely beverages when i was ttc until I got my BFP and now I am enjoying my perfectly HEALTHY, beautiful baby girl~

Good luck :flower:

Life can't stop for NTNP or TTC , take your vitamins and drink alcohol in moderation, believe me 9 months is more than enough time to not eat and drink the things you want without the time it takes to conceive as well!

x

Please Please Please take folic acid, as it is v important for the development of the baby. The nural tube develops as early as 26 dpo and this is where the folic acid is needed.

good luck with your NTNP/TTC journey xxx

When I got pregnant a couple years ago, it was a "surprise" and to be completely honest we were both completely wasted when we conceived. We were in our "young and stupid phase" before I fell PG..drinking too much alcohol, smoking a pack a day, smoking pot, drinking at LEAST 2 energy drinks a day...not to mention I was a handful of medication that you could NOT take while being PG (medications for anxiety, depression, ADHD, and sleep disorder!). In fact, I KNEW I was PG a good while before my missed period, because we went out and got a couple tall cans of beer and I felt loopy after not even half a can through (and at that time I could slam 'em better than the boys lol).

When I found out I was PG I completely STOPPED everything (from smoking, to my medications) and started taking prenatals. Needless to say, I had an MC even though I tried my hardest to get my body back into healthy mode.

I was gutted and obviously felt like it was my own fault, even though the pregnancy was a surprise and I couldn't have known to stop my crazy lifestyle.

Even after the MC, I continued to live a life without all of my medications because I knew those had very long lasting effects on the body and it was the best decision I could have made...I have now been 2 years clean from the 5 different psych medications I was on...and out of the 10 years I was using medications I have been the HAPPIEST and clearest of mind I have ever been in my life =D

ANYWAY! Since the MC both mine and DH's lifestyle have completely flipped. I had a few times where I got depressed so I drank a ton and did some drugs but that was when I was on BCP anyway.

So since TTC I do not drink alcohol at all, but this is a personal decision as I have no limits when it comes to drugs and alcohol and I have never been a "have ONE beer or ONE glass of wine" type of gal...it's either all or nuthin for me. And because of what happened with my MC I actually think it was God's way of telling me I need to change my life!

I also went from drinking at least 2 Rockstars a day (up to 5 when I was working!!) Down to only once a week - once every other week when we have our going out to the movies day! (And zero during 2WW).

And from one+ packs of cigarettes a day to one - two actual cigs a day...not packs!! I know I should be smoking none but this is a huge accomplishment for me and the actual cravings are very rare now so I know very soon it will be a cig every other day to none!

And of course taking prenatals...I actually suggest this to women even not TTC...the vitamins in them are very important to any body and most people today don't eat what they should to get such vitamins! If you are on a budget, they have a nice vitamin selection at Target for awesome prices (from the Up & Up brand). I have also tried my hardest to change my horrible eating habits...to drinking no milk or water at all..to drinking 8 glasses of water a day...milk is harder for me but i def drink more now hehe. Also trying to eat less processed foods...switching from freezer foods to actual prepared meals and snacks...I am only able to do this though because I currently a house wife so this is my "job" hehe :)

I did have to go to the ER about 2 months ago because my neck, face and jaw start unexplainably seizing (my jaw was actually repeatably trying to dislocate itself so it was INCREDIBLY painful) so I was injected with morphine and valuim while I was there and was sent home with muscle relaxers...I *really* didn't want to take them because I strongly dislike any meds now..but I had to...that was scary...but yeah that is how clean I am trying to be now...I no longer am taking the muscle relaxers. My jaw is still in pain and only opens so far before painfully popping, but I turned down the vicodin perscription because the idea of being numbed out on narcotic pain killers just scares me when TTC. I would rather white knuckle it :)

lol this has turned into a novel...but just wanted to show that everybody's preference is different based on past experiences and lifestyles :) My friend just got PG again for the 2nd time...she was NTNP and was drinking and smoking pot during NTNP. She actually still smokes a little pot every now and then when she is having heavy anxiety...that freaks me out and scares me but she says she feels it's healthier than being super stressed. So I try not to pass judgment on that..everyone makes their own decisions as it is their own body and life.

Do what you feel comfortable with when TTC...you are more likely to conceive when being stress free and doing what makes you happy :) Just be sure to take your prenatals! :)

thanks for your story cuddle bunny its a great read you should write a novel lol :) i hope others can take inspiration from your story i have!! i too am trying to cut back on all those bad things...finding it hard though. you've done so well!!
(now feels guilty drinking my vodka... its got pineapple juice with it tho :winkwink:)

:haha:

thanks for your story cuddle bunny its a great read you should write a novel lol :) i hope others can take inspiration from your story i have!! i too am trying to cut back on all those bad things...finding it hard though. you've done so well!!
(now feels guilty drinking my vodka... its got pineapple juice with it tho :winkwink:)

:haha:

Don't feel guilty!! It's not an easy battle! lol. And hey, pineapple juice is very good for you :)

It's one thing if you drink when TTC or NTNP, and a whole different thing if you still continue to do so after you get a BFP or a missed period :thumbup:

I wish you lots of luck in your journey :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->