Nuchal translucency screening? To test or not to test?

I totally agree that the NT combined test does not necessarily 'guarantee' a definitive answer, but that it would lead to having amnio testing which apparently is nearly 100% accurate. I don't think the option would be open to abort after the NT testing. It is purely self choice - I had the NT testing so I could be prepared for myself and my hubby, and also it is not a decision taken lightly to have or not to have a baby with downs or any abnormalities so to be mentally prepared was always my first option. If i had came back high risk I would have had the amnio testing. I also have the GTT testing booked in August - my BMI is nearly 30 and I have a brother who has type 2 diabetes. Apparently if I come back positive they can control this with tablets etc. I don't think that any of the testings are conclusive but it is like anything it is all about probabilities - did anyone watch the 'Tonight' programme about ladies leaving pregnancy till late - there was a lady who was strongly advised to the have the downs test but she refused - she ended up having adowns baby and wished that she new before hand so she could have been prepared. I think that the NT testing is about either leading up to amnio or be deemed as low risk - this is my understanding of it anyways xxxx

When was the Tonight programme on and on which channel? I wouldn't mind watching that if it's available online or on cable tv catchup.

It's been interesting to read this and it seems you all have been quite lucky. You do know the screening is not just for DS?

This is our story: We wanted the screening. The NT scan showed the baby had 1/7 chance something being wrong. The blood test and scan combined showed 1/5 chance. My sister had a DS daughter, who lived only 3 months, so we opted for the CVS. They tried to do it twice without luck.

I have never been as stressed in my life. We then had to wait for the pregnancy to be past certain weeks and when I was 17 weeks pregnant, the amnio was done. The initial results were encouraging: no DS, no T13 or T18. Two weeks later we got the last results, which showed the baby has extremely rare T22. The median age of a T22 baby is 4 days. The doctor then scanned the baby and told the last bit of bad news: the baby's heart would give up in couple of weeks and he would not live a day. At that point I was 19 weeks pregnant. We opted for termination instead of waiting for those couple of weeks listening which kick is the last one.

The whole ordeal was horrible, but I would not change a decision we made. Couple of my friends say they think I knew something was wrong from the beginning. I cannot say.

I am now pregnant again, 7 weeks. We have already told we want the CVS done as soon as possible. Because of my age and because of one trisomy baby, we have 2% change for another trisomy (any trisomy) baby.

However, these decisions are deeply personal and no one should ever jugde anyone for whatever they decide to do. I hope you all have stressfree pregnancies. Mine will never be, not after the first one.

I turn 38 tomorrow and we are TTC #1. DH and I have talked about "what we would do" and I just wanted to say there are at least two folks who would've taken your same path. You have my support (not that you need it, of course) and have helped me make peace with what our decision would be in your position.

Sometimes I wonder about all these tests and what good they really are. All of yours pointed in one direction instead of all over the place, like so many of them seem to. You followed a clear and well thought path. I'm sorry you had to make such a decision and I wish you much luck, love, and a very sticky, VERY HEALTHY baby.

I would have been tempted to just do CVS this time if I wasn't having twins and if CVS didn't increase my risk of developing more antibodies to the babies' blood. The perinatologist already told us that CVS was off the table. I don't think he would do it even if we wanted to. I'm happy that I had reassuring NT numbers at least. Leaning against amnio for the same reasons. The risk doesn't outweigh the benefit for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->