Nuchal translucency?

kneeswrites

Pregnant with #3
Reaction score
I got my first real in-depth scan yesterday. Baby measured 13 weeks and 1 day. It was moving around fine and dancing a lot and look totally normal to me but I could tell the nuchal translucency was going to be too big and it was. They said it was 3 mm and they really freaked us out. I've done a lot of research and I was just wondering if anyone has any stories about having a similar experience and what was your outcome? Also, if you know anything about the odds and of what this really means please let me know. I posted this in gestational complications but I guess nobody really goes there and Im just freaking out about this. I attached a pic of baby and NT.

Image_2.jpg 20190103_150909.jpg

3mm is still within the normal range of 1-3mm. Nuchal translucency really can mean something or nothing. Are you getting bloods too to give you your risk?

Sending love x

Thank you so much for responding. I've read things that say 3 isn't too bad, or even normal. When the doctor told us, he said "the normal range ends at 3, and You're exactly at 3. You are at the cusp of where we worry." I was confused so i said "Okay so 3 is high but potentially normal or close to normal?" And he literally scoffed and said "3 is NOT normal." I asked what was and he said "One. 1.3, 1.6." With a really negative tone. They asked if i "even wanted the pictures still." As if this changed me loving my baby. I'm so pissed.

Anyway, doctor made it sound like three was a really really bad thing. That's what freaked us out the most. It was like they were literally handing us death sentence or something. I am getting bloods but I kind of put it off, honestly I think I'm doing it on purpose because I sort of don't want to know or I'm afraid of the results. I don't want to have to make decisions I want it just happen to be okay. Anyway I appreciate you answering I've been going crazy over this going in and out of being really optimistic and then suddenly down in the dumps and feel like it will not be okay at all. All I can think about. I can feel it moving around even as I speak and it's hard to think that there could be something wrong with it when it's dancing and seems so strong.

I've been analyzing my ultrasound pics, looking desperately for a nasal bone and any sign something is weird. they're not very good photos which annoys me bc it was a very long ultrasound and had lots of great photo ops. In most of the pics the baby doesn't even look the way it did normally.

Anyway... I am trying to remind myself 3 might be high but it's so close to ok, and people have had much worse outcomes of a scan than this.

I had mine few weeks back and baby had a 3.5mm nt. We had our bloods rushed through and the results came back low risk.
We have an extra scan to keep an eye on baby but that's just as a precaution. 3mm is in normal range.

Thank you so much for this reassurance. I'm so mad at this doctor. He destroyed the experience of my boyfriend seeing his first baby. My bf went from amazed and awed and crying from joy to panicking and crying from fear. It's not fair.

I think it really depends on the criteria range where you are.
Here because of my age and the results they rush them through. It ruined our experiance but they have to be cautious and have to notify you if they consider anything to be outside of their criteria.
I cried for 24 hrs straight waiting for my results so I get it, but I'm glad they were over cautious.

Holy moly what an insensitive doctor! I am so sorry!

The numbers meant nothing to me, but a week later I was sent the numbers with percentages of risk.

I agree that if you are on the cusp, they should run blood work. Technology is so great these days, you can get blood work down now to tell you so much great info. I’d request it but do it soon as I hear they are just accurate right around now. And see if you can get it covered by your insurance because you need it. If not, call private gyns to see if they offer it at a discount. A guy near me will do it plus keepsake ultrasound photos for $400 if you pay cash. Big hugs

I'm shocked the doctor treated you that way, that's disgusting frankly. All the 3mm means is that you would benefit from some additional testing. Get some bloods done which will give you an idea of risk and then you can use those results to decide if you want an amnio or not. The first half of pregnancy is so nerve wracking. I'm sorry you had an awful experience!

Oh wow I am absolutely shocked at the doctors response what a asshole ! Sorry but I think that’s totally out of order and the wrong way to go about the situation!

I’ve no idea on numbers etc. Are you going for more testing ? The result of those may be different. Good luck and I hope all goes well xx

I will be going in for bloods on Monday morning. So won't know anything for a while. Right now I'm reading a lot of positive stuff and trying to remind myself that baby is the right size, looks beautiful, has a perfect hb and I feel it move constantly like a tiny dancer. I will love it no matter what, I'm not as concerned about down syndrome honestly, I'm scare of the more dangerous problems plus my boyfriend (first time dad) being able to accept an "abnormal" child. He's already dealing with being a dad period- we've been together for only about 7 months and are essentially homeless etc. Already a surprise so more surprises are more stress. But we are staying positive.

Thank you all. I will decide about amnio later after bloods and further ultrasounds. Very hesitant to do anything that might endanger baby.

Wow your doctor sounds like a downright asshat! Any way you can switch to a new practice?!?!!!!

You shouldn’t have to decide on an amino until you have blood tests so try not to stress —- even then you might not need one!! Genetic blood panels can come in 5 business days, as well!

3mm is right on the cusp of a predetermined range, but that means nothing unless it falls in line with additional testing which can still also add up to nothing. I know for sure my niece was flagged as high risk due to NT scan and some iffy blood results - her parents were worried sick researching and beside themselves the whole pregnancy. She is 3 now and totally “standard” genotypically and phenotypically and there was never any explanation for the abnormal test results.

Honestly, having a baby is soooo stressful and life changing no matter what and even though technology is amazing these days it does tend to bring extra stress because the answers aren’t always clear cut!!! I am so so certain your partner will come around to your beautiful baby no matter what and that you’ll be excellent parents and get through whatever awaits you just fine!!

Will be praying and sending you good vibes!! Keep us posted!

Hoping and praying everything is ok! Can't believe how you were treated. Honestly would find a new dr if it were me. :hugs:

Thank y all so much. Today i got my official ultrasound report and after an hour of trying to figure out how to log in I finally read it and at one point it said "Nasal bone: Visualized." I know it's a small thing but I was sooo excited to read that! I'm hoping it's a good sign.

I know right! From what I've read having a visible nasal bone especially this early on is a really good sign. I've been scouring my pictures obsessively and it turns out it was there the whole time and they knew it. I don't know why they didn't tell me any of the good things. Whatever I'm going to complain eventually, I just have to figure out the doctor's name. One of the OBGYNs at the hospital even told me I should complain and that he was really unprofessional and inappropriate. After all of the research I've done and stories I've heard of people in similar situations, I'm getting the vibe that most people in my position get really mean and rude doctors who present this information and a really inappropriate and negative manner. It seems like an overwhelming pattern. I guess they don't want to be sued and stuff but like how is all of this anxiety good on a pregnant woman when it could possibly be nothing or something very manageable. I'm especially mad since 3 seems to be up for grabs as whether or not it's even that bad. Anyway luckily this doctor is not my main doctor he was just the doctor who interpreted my scan. I will never have to see him again thank God.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->