Number 3 Milk

Discussion in 'Formula Feeding' started by x-amy-x, Oct 14, 2008.

1. x-amy-x

x-amy-x Mammy

I'm kinda confused about the number 3 milk thing. It says from 6 months. How do you know when to start giving this?

If it was my mother she'd have been given it from day one because 'back in my day...' blah blah.

Just wondering if anyone has given their LOs number 3 milk and if so, what age was your LO? And why did you decide to give it?

Thank you

xxx

2. ~KACI~

~KACI~ Well-Known Member

This is the main reason

Your baby is born with a store of iron but this is used up by around 4-6 months of age. Therefore, it is essential your baby obtains the required amount of iron (and vitamin C which helps ensure the iron is absorbed), from her diet. This is where SMA Progress steps in. During and even after the weaning period, it can be difficult for babies to fulfil their nutritional requirements for iron and other key nutrients from the amount of food they consume. Feeding your baby 500-600 ml of SMA Progress each day, from six months old, and a minimum of 350 ml per day from one year old, in addition to a healthy weaning diet, can help ensure she is receiving all the nutrients needed to assist her growth and development.

But the other one is n tesco's its 2 tins for £12, so basically i know if she hasn't eaten her dinner she's at least getting the right nutrients x

3. x-amy-x

x-amy-x Mammy

Do you still feed her number 2 milk or completely number 3 milk?

xxx

4. ~KACI~

~KACI~ Well-Known Member

I'm just finishing her last tin of SMA white, and got 2 tins of progress ready and waiting. I wouldn't swap and change as there different types and could upset her tummy, when is she 6months x

5. x-amy-x

x-amy-x Mammy

Oh no, i'm not changing yet. Not at all. Just confused as to when I'm supposed to do so. I'm assuming its for when I start weaning properly?

Thanks kaci
    xx

6. ~KACI~

~KACI~ Well-Known Member

7. 1st_baby

1st_baby Guest

We have one like that here its 9-24 months but i wont give it just yet

8. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

i too was wondering this, great advice girls thanks :)

9. bev309

bev309 Well-Known Member

Jack has been on solids for a good while now, & is starting to refuse his milk feeds, so have been wondering if it was a good idea to change over to the number 3 now as he is 5mths 2 weeks now. I am worried that he isn't getting the nutrients he needs from his milk anymore as he is drinking less & wonder if he would benefit from the switch? (sorry to hijack Amy!)

10. 1st_baby

1st_baby Guest

I wonder too ..mabey ill buy a lil sample and try him out

11. oOKayOo

oOKayOo Well-Known Member

I never used stage three with Carly :shrug: should i do with ella? She is 6 months on the 24th This month?

12. Jasmine is on cow and gate no 3 and only went onto that this week, my hv said they don't actually need it, its basically a way for the company to make more money! Silly me had already started her on it though

13. ~KACI~

~KACI~ Well-Known Member

Yea my HV said the same i think they mean after 1year because it says you can use it til 2years but that isn't necessary, a babuy will be fine on cows milk from 1year, but yes it is a way of making money from yrs 1-2 x

14. x-amy-x

x-amy-x Mammy

Stage 3 milk IS cheaper though. Those of you who have use it was it good, bad or the same for your baby. I just don't get it. Will it be ok to keep her on number 2 milk till she's 1?

15. ~KACI~

~KACI~ Well-Known Member

Yea its fine to keep her number 2 x

16. bev309

bev309 Well-Known Member

The one from 1 year on is stage 4 though - is the stage 3 milk beneficial for babies who are refusing to drink as milk as they did before weaning? The C&G one says it provides more nutrients in less milk?:blush:

17. 1st_baby

1st_baby Guest

So lets say max used to drink at least 10 bottles of milk before weaning and now he only has about 6-7 bottles would it be better for him to get milk that had higher nutrients?

18. ~KACI~

~KACI~ Well-Known Member

I've never seen stage 4 but then again i use SMA x

19. ~KACI~

~KACI~ Well-Known Member

right this could confuse you??I think i could confuse myself!!

Right as i understand it the normal milk is fine upto a year becuase if you start weaning at 6months ish and as long as the baby eats a proportioned diet with the right nutrients he/she should be fine.

The resoning behind the the stage 3 milk is that it has extra nutrients so if baby decides one nite to launch its dinner then it is still getting the right amount of nutrients from its milk.

So the difference between the milks is stage 3 has more nutrients, they don't need them in the first milk because they already have a store which they got in the womb.

By the way this is my understanding of it, if it doesn't make sense let me know x

20. bev309

bev309 Well-Known Member

Thanks Kaci - this is what I was thinking, so as Jack is fighting with me at every feed to drink his milk (except for when he first wakes in morning he may only take 3, maybe 4oz at a struggle) I think he may benefit from the extra nutrients - C&G stage 3 is exactly the same price as the stage 2 he is on now, so hopefully Jack will benefit, but my purse won't!:dohh::rofl:

Sorry - it's not actually called stage 4 - in C&G they have stages 1,2 & 3 then its called 1yr +!!:dohh: & SMA only has the Progress follow on milk.