Nutrition when pregnant - advice needed!

tabby28

Reaction score
Well, not urgently because I wont be TTC until April next year, but I am pondering what I am going to do about nutrition and would love advice from any vegetarian/vegan mums/mums to be and meat eaters too actually!

Does anybody know what sort of protein levels I should be getting in during pregnancy, and also whether I need to be eating animal proteins? I am mostly vegan, but I would be quite happy to eat dairy again, although actual meat would be tough. Also, are there any other nutrients I wouldn't be getting that a foetus/baby needs?

I'd like to get this sorted a little while before TTC so I have a good store of nutrients in me, and so my body can adjust to new foods. I guess the doctor might be able to tell me, but as I'm a bit ahead of myself I thought I'd ask you ladies first! :hugs:

One thing you might need to watch is your Iron intake, as although most other nutrients (vitamin B12 is pretty much it exception wise, but some quorn products have it) can be found in vegetarian foods, veggie food can sometimes not contain as much iron as you would hope, and anaemia is quite common in pregnancy. Green, leafy veg (spinach, broccoli) and dark chocolate are good sources of iron, but it might be worth seeing your GP and seeing if they recommend you take iron supplements. As a side note, if your vitamin C intake isn't high enough, the iron won't be absorbed properly, but as a vegetarian I imagine that wouldn't be a problem for you ;)

As for the proteins, as far as I'm aware it doesn't make any difference whether it's animal protein or protein from soya/tofu/quorn/whatever. You will need to up the protein intake a bit, but as part of a healthy diet protein should be the highest intake you have (out of carbs, protein and fat - the big 3), as it can be used for energy as well as growth and maintenance and keeps you fuller for longer. This is a bit of a bonus if you're worried that eating more for the baby will mean you gain weight that isn't baby weight lol.

Hope this helps/makes sense lol

Good luck!

good advice there from manicsgirl :thumbup: I'm a veggie mummy, and when I was ttc and pregnant I didn't change my diet a whole lot tbh, I just made sure it was balanced with plenty of protein (quorn etc), and green leafy veg and cereals for iron. I also took pregnacare which is suitable for veggies (and vegans I think?). Aneamia (sp?) can be a problem during pregnancy even for meat eaters, and they will check your iron levels during it to make sure it's ok. :thumbup:

You don't need to do anything drastic hun! Everything in moderation, and make sure you have plenty of the good stuff ;)

Just eat healthily and balanced and you'll be fine. Eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg, get protein and eat carbs. Also take a good multivit specifically for pregnancy and new mums and you'll be grand :D

Hey,

Im a veggie and my hubby is a avid meat eater. I had a chat with my doctor and he said the best thing is to eat lots of pulses to get your protein Mmmmm yummy! not!

I have a major problem tho - my hubby insists I eat at least fish throughout pregnancy. He really wants me to eat red meat but theres just no way I could even contemplate it.
I understand about the fish thing, as it will be 'his baby too' but I think I would actually vomit if I had to eat it - poor little fishys :(

BUT - Having a baby is the most important thing in the world to me so I guess I will have to.

Having said that, I absolutely believe you can be pregnant and a veggie/vegan. Theres plenty of foods that have the same proteins, vits etc other than meat :)

x

Can you take multi-vitamins? or do they contain animal products? If they dont I would start taking them at least 6 month prior to becoming pregnant if you can. Your body will store up the extra nurtiants your body does not use and if you get morning sickness your body will need to use these if your not getting enough other ways.

Good luck x

One of my friends who is veggie has just had a baby, she was prescribed iron tablets from the doctor as her levels were low but protein seemed to be ok from her normal diet/multivitamins. My only warning with the latter would be watch for vitamin A when your actually start TTC because too much of it can be bad for pregnant women.

Thanks everyone! You've put my mind at ease :hugs: I'm glad I won't have to change things too much - meat would have been tough for me, but I would have eaten it if I needed to. :nope:

Manicsgirl- thanks for the tips! I eat quite alot of green veg and dark choc (alot of that actually :D) so I think I'm okay iron-wise for myself, but clearly I will need to have more during pregnancy. Do you know if vitamin B12 is in marmite, because I eat a fair bit of that?

Minnie - I don't know about pregnacare - I've never taken it. But most of the vitamin supplements i have come across are okay for veggies, if not vegans and I dont mind about dairy things too much, so I will definitely be taking those.

Eternal - yes I take multivits now (on OH's orders - he worries about my health because I don't eat meat, so he thinks I must be weak or something, haha) and they are fine for veggies. I will keep on with those and folic acid.

Sazaroo - oh no! Its so hard isn't it? Obviously we want whats best for our babies, but when you haven't eaten animals for such a long time its a really difficult to get your head around it. Maybe if you can convince him the baby will be healthy he'll ease up on the fish thing?

JayDee - so does that mean taking multi-vits during pregnancy is a no-no? Because mine definitely have vitamin A, I just checked.

You can buy multi-vitamins for pregnancy which have lower amounts of no Vitamin A ... just checked mine and they contain no vitamin A. they are better tailored for pregnancy although they are quite pricey. I have just always taken the pregnancy ones, before during and after (and now again TTC) ... as long as your diet its pritty varied though you prob wont need them but the wont do any harm if your taking them. Good luck x

Marmite has B12 a-plenty :)

But it's disgusting and wouldn't wish it upon anyone :p

Haha! I'm a marmite baby. Can't get enough of it! I love strong flavoured things - have been known to eat spoonfuls of horseradish and mustard :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->