O/T Anyone own an epilator?

Mrs Gibbo

Very proud mother of 2!
Reaction score
Like it says really, always liked the look of them but I'm a bit of a wuss and wonder if they hurt? I can take plucking my eyebrows but if it feels like waxing, I don't wanna! Any stories?

I had one a few years ago and it was one of the first versions so they might have got better since then but my god i hated it. I found it like doing your eyebrows which can be quite sensitive x 10 lol i really didn't get on with it and you need to do it like the day before your going out or anything cause you come out in dots where the hair has been plucked initially :) fun :haha: xx

I had one ages ago and hardly used it as it was too painful, I've had waxing, threading, plucking and by far, the epilator was the worst!
x

The first couple of times are quite painful, but the pain lessens significantly if you keep up with regrowth and use it regularly. You have to persevere a bit and get through the initial few tries.

Personally, I hate messing around with wax or creams, and I don't like shaving as my legs get super itchy about 2 days after I shave which drives me mad. Epilating makes my skin a bit red for a few hours, but then it's fine. I epilate in the evening then everything is okay by the morning.

My Braun epilator has different attachments; a narrower head for more sensitive areas for example. I whizz over my legs with the main attachment and then put another attachment on for armpits.

The main problem that I find is ingrowing hairs. I seem to get them worst on areas that tend to rub against things - the backs of my thighs from sitting down, the back of my right calf where it rests on my knee if I cross my legs, and also armpits. You can get various potions that are supposed to help with ingrowing hairs but I find being religious about exfoliating helps a lot; I use those exfoliating gloves in the shower.

I'm sure epilating isn't for everyone, but it works for me.

I used to have a really old one, but splashed out on a new modern one recently. Much better!!!
I have to use it every 2-3 weeks and haven't shaved or waxed for years!! It doesnt hurt any more, apart from behind my knees which are a bit sensitive.
I think it's fab- works for me anyway.

I love my epilator! It makes my legs smooth, and keeps the hair away longer. It doesn't bother me (some people are VERY sensitive to it, but I tend to have a high pain tolerance and it does not bother me one bit), and does not leave any spots on my legs. I have tried it on my armpits, and managed, but that is painful! It does leave nice smooth armpits, however!

I have a really old one. I've a good pain threshold (waxing my own bikini line is no problem), but find it painful. As others said, the more you use it the easier it becomes and the less you need it. I've not used it in years, mainly as I've really sensitive skin and found I got horrendous rashes and ingrowing hairs. Tried using on my bikini line and armpits once and never again- oh my God ouch!!!

one word to describe epilators: EVIL.
I can wax till the cows come home but epilators are true evil poured into an electronic beauty device.

I don't think I've ever heard anything good about epilators! They just sound like pure pain.

My friend gets groupon deals for IPL hair removal, which is like £90 for so many sessions, and it pretty much zaps the hair away for good. She's had it on her underarms (4 sessions I think but wants a couple more) and she said it hardly grows back at all, instead of growing back the day after shaving. So maybe that could be a better option? Epilators sure aren't cheap.

My epilator was not expensive - it also has an attachment to be a regular electric shaver as well, which can come in handy. I think you'll just have to try it - like I said, I rarely shave my legs anymore, it's all epilator for me, and it does not hurt (me).

I don't think I've ever heard anything good about epilators! They just sound like pure pain.

My friend gets groupon deals for IPL hair removal, which is like £90 for so many sessions, and it pretty much zaps the hair away for good. She's had it on her underarms (4 sessions I think but wants a couple more) and she said it hardly grows back at all, instead of growing back the day after shaving. So maybe that could be a better option? Epilators sure aren't cheap.

I had laser done on my bikini line a few years ago- I get horrendous ingrowing hairs no matter what I do. It is expensive, but oh, so worth it!! I had a block of 5 or 6 sessions- they said it would take more than that, but 2 years on, I'm only just having to think about going back for the follow ups. In the 2 years I've shaved the odd stray hair.

I have often thought about eplilators but OMG the thought of all that pain no thank you lol

Luckily I am not particularly hairy but I use hair removal cream or a razor

I have often thought about eplilators but OMG the thought of all that pain no thank you lol

Luckily I am not particularly hairy but I use hair removal cream or a razor

haha, perhaps that is why the epilator is great for me - it's not ripping out loads of hair or anything extremely thick!

Sorry I wasn't saying any of you ladies were particularly hairy I just meant my hair is fair so not very hairy

:blush:

Sorry I wasn't saying any of you ladies were particularly hairy I just meant my hair is fair so not very hairy

:blush:

I didn't take it that way! I just thought it was a possibly good reason why it might hurt myself less... more coarse hair probably hurts more when an epilator is used, regardless of how much there is of it!

i have one and dont use it regularly but it does the job really well when i do use it. it does hurt at first and my legs go very red so deffo have to epilate day before need to show off the pins! it has helped to exfoliatge before hand, and i put moisturising cream on a few hours after cos i have really dry skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->