O/T : Is Christmas or Santa in the Bible? ??

meowmeow

lil meow #1 soon!!
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzFv_TdFvzM

:shrug:

sorry didnt watch the whole thing but if you are asking then yes Christmas is in the bible. from a biblical standpoint Christmas commemorates Christs birth. santa however is not in the bible.

No. They are not. Jesus was NOT born on Christmas. Christmas is a mixture of Pagan holidays being mixed with Christian holidays. This was to make Christianity more appealing to Pagans. It was used as a conversion tool.

See also Halloween and Easter.

What is the question raised by the show - at the moment I don't have time to watch a 30 min clip, but interested in the context and might watch it if its interesting.

Jesus wasn't born at Christmas (it was September but I think the winter celebration has more to do with how long the word spread?) but the pagan festival of Yule was held midwinter and involved some things we still do today like decorating trees (though they didn't bring it indoors) and eating a feast (but many celebrations in many religions and cultures gave feasts).

Some people consider Christmas to be Yule and the Christians stole it, but Christmas actually involves a lot more than pretty trees and they are two celebrations at a similar time that have over the years become merged for most of the population in Christian dominated countries.

Oh and Santa is not in the bible. Santa comes from St Nicholas who was a bishop who was very wealthy but gave his wealth away to needy families - he left money in secret at night and wanted no recognition, instead he believed Christ wanted us to help one another for the sake of helping, not to get thanks and praise. St Nicholas lived after the bible was completed.

Haven't had time to watch the clip so I'm not aware of the context either, but Christmas is in the Bible. Like an old joke says, "of course there wasn't room at the inn, it was Christmas and they were all booked up!" :winkwink:

Obviously it wasn't a holiday in Biblical times. Christmas is "Christ's Mass". It's essentially the birth of Jesus but it's actual date has been moved around and debated for centuries. Western and Eastern rite Christians also celebrate it on different days because they use different calendars. Many of the elements we now associate with Christmas, like the tree might have pagan origins but to just call Christmas a glossed-over pagan holiday wouldn't be right. Same with Easter; the date of Easter is based around the Jewish holiday of Passover.

The traditions surrounding these holidays are very interesting. St. Francis apparently created the first nativity scene!

I watched part of the clip but I found it full of inaccuracies so didnt watch it all. i will answer some of the things that came up

1. The bible of course talks about Christmas, i.e the birth of Christ. We now celebrate Christmas on 25th December due to the reasons mentioned by other people on here (no need to repeat). Christians are not saying that Christ was born on 25th December but for reasons given this is the date that we choose to celebrate the birth of Christ.

2. Christmas trees, the quote from the Bible is taken from Jeremiah. HOwever, the misunderstanding that is given in this video is that it is talking about Christmas trees, it is not. It is a verse that is specifically talking about the practice of decorating a tree in the wintertime. They used to cut down trees, shape them into wooden gods, overlay them with gold and silver, and pray to them. And they’d carry them from place to place and temple to temple. And this is specifically talking about that NOT chistmas trees. Do people worship their trees as a false God? No, then it is fine to have them.

3.You ask if Santa is in the Bible (was this in the video clip? Not sure as I did not watch all of it) of course Santa is not (again he has been explained in another post) it is harmless fun for Children at this time of year. Of course some Christians will choose not to allow their children to believe in Santa, we as a family do however.

ETA teh verse from Jeremiah: This is what the LORD says: "Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them. 3 For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel. 4 They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter. 5 Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good." The video has chosen to just take part of the verse to try and prove a point, the whole verse shows it is not about Christmas trees

Dont know but I believe in Santa :p and not jesus so it does not matter to me whats in the bible!

Christmas supposedly is to commemorate the birth of Jesus and nearly every religion celebrates it. Yet there is no biblical origin for its celebration at all. It was jesus' death that was important and that we were instructed to commemorate.

Early christains would not have celebrated Jesus' birth as birthdays are a pagan custom and are idolatrous worship and linked with astrology something that bible warns against, not a christain or a biblical one. At birth it was believed that a spirit or demon attended the birth and protected that one through out his life, and Jesus certainly would not have wanted to be linked with anything that involved superstition.

Also the account of Jesus' birth that is celebrated is scriptually incorrect. We know that Jesus couldnt have been born on Dec 25th (not that this is a huge deal) because the bible says that the shephards were out tending to their sheep. In that part of the world in Dec, it would have been much too cold to do this.

December 25th was chosen as it coincides with the pagan roman festival marking the birthday of the unconquered sun. In an effort to convert pagans, religious leaders adopted this festival and tried to make it seem 'christain'. The saturnalia also played a part in the choice of Dec 25th. This was a festival honouring the roman god of agriculture. Feasting, drinking and gift giving took place.

So this date was chosen in worship to false gods, and anyone with a knowledge of the bible knows that this was warned against by Jesus and God.

If you look into, St nicholas was also Influence of paganism and folklore, not christain at all and not what Jesus would want to be associated with. Imo it also gives the belief that Jesus is a fictional character, like Santa, when the two are tied in together
Intrestingly, Christmas was actually banned in England and some of the American colonies during the 17th century because of its unscriptual origin.

The other issue is that what is taught about the events of Jesus' birth is also scriptually incorrect. The 'nativity' scene is also scriptually incorrect

The three wise men, were actually sent by King Herod, in an attempt to locate Jesus to have him killed (unbeknown to the 3 wise men mind you - he wanted them to report back to him once they had located him so he could do obeisance or an act of worship to Jesus he told them). He ordered that all boys under the age of 2 be murdered, in order to eraticate the 'son of god and prophet' that had been born. This also suggests that Jesus was not newborn at the time they visited as boys up to the age of two were targeted. The bible also says that they did not visit Jesus in a manger either but rather a house.
The account of this is at Matthew 2:1-16.

The star that lead the three wise men to Jesus first led them to King Herod in an attempt to help Jesus be killed, so it wasnt God who used a star to guide them, it had to be his enemy, satan.

So as a christian i do not celebrate christmas :)

This is the account in the bible that the nativity scene is taken from yet is very incorrect (Matthew 2:1-16)

After Jesus had been born in Beth′le‧hem of Ju‧de′a in the days of Herod the king, look! astrologers from eastern parts came to Jerusalem, 2*saying: “Where is the one born king of the Jews? For we saw his star [when we were] in the east, and we have come to do him obeisance.” 3*At hearing this King Herod was agitated, and all Jerusalem along with him; 4*and on gathering together all the chief priests and scribes of the people he began to inquire of them where the Christ was to be born. 5*They said to him: “In Beth′le‧hem of Ju‧de′a; for this is how it has been written through the prophet, 6*‘And you, O Beth′le‧hem of the land of Judah, are by no means the most insignificant [city] among the governors of Judah; for out of you will come forth a governing one, who will shepherd my people, Israel.’” 7*Then Herod secretly summoned the astrologers and carefully ascertained from them the time of the star’s appearing; 8*and, when sending them to Beth′le‧hem, he said: “Go make a careful search for the young child, and when YOU have found it report back to me, that I too may go and do it obeisance.” 9*When they had heard the king, they went their way; and, look! the star they had seen [when they were] in the east went ahead of them, until it came to a stop above where the young child was. 10*On seeing the star they rejoiced very much indeed. 11*And when they went into the house they saw the young child with Mary its mother, and, falling down, they did obeisance to it. They also opened their treasures and presented it with gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh. 12*However, because they were given divine warning in a dream not to return to Herod, they withdrew to their country by another way. 13*After they had withdrawn, look! Jehovah’s angel appeared in a dream to Joseph, saying: “Get up, take the young child and its mother and flee into Egypt, and stay there until I give you word; for Herod is about to search for the young child to destroy it.” 14*So he got up and took along the young child and its mother by night and withdrew into Egypt, 15*and he stayed there until the decease of Herod, for that to be fulfilled which was spoken by Jehovah through his prophet, saying: “Out of Egypt I called my son.” 16*Then Herod, seeing he had been outwitted by the astrologers, fell into a great rage, and he sent out and had all the boys in Beth′le‧hem and in all its districts done away with, from two years of age and under, according to the time that he had carefully ascertained from the astrologers.

You can look this account up in any bible, i have several versions including the King James :)

King James version

Matthew 2:1-16
King James Version (KJV)
Matthew 2

1Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

2Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

3When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalem with him.

4And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.

5And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,

6And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

7Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.

8And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.

9When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.

10When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.

11And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense and myrrh.

12And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.

13And when they were departed, behold, the angel of the Lord appeareth to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt, and be thou there until I bring thee word: for Herod will seek the young child to destroy him.

14When he arose, he took the young child and his mother by night, and departed into Egypt:

15And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

16Then Herod, when he saw that he was mocked of the wise men, was exceeding wroth, and sent forth, and slew all the children that were in Bethlehem, and in all the coasts thereof, from two years old and under, according to the time which he had diligently inquired of the wise men.

Honestly, all the Christian holidays have basis in Pagan beliefs. How do you think they got the Pagans to convert? :lol:

Not to be controversial or anything (who me? :lol:), but the Bible was transcribed by normal people and when you write something you can manipulate it any way you want. :shrug:

Well the dead sea scrolls for exaple prove the accuracy of trnslation through the ages for starters

The scrolls are also important because they have enabled scholars to gather an immense amount of information about how the Bible was written and how it was transmitted from generation to generation.Well, between 1947 and 1955 what are known as the Dead Sea Scrolls were found. These old scrolls include copies of books of the Hebrew Scriptures. They date from 100 to 200 years before Jesus was born. One of the scrolls is a copy of the book of Isaiah. Before this was found the oldest copy of the book of Isaiah available in Hebrew was one that had been made nearly 1,000 years after Jesus was born. When these two copies of Isaiah were compared there were only very small differences in them, most of which were small variations in spelling! This means that in more than 1,000 years of copying there had been no real change!

There are more than 1,700 ancient copies of the various portions of the Hebrew Scriptures available. By carefully comparing these many very old copies, even the few mistakes copyists made can be found and corrected. Also, there are thousands of very old copies of the Greek Scriptures, some of which copies date back nearly to the time of Jesus and his apostles. Thus, as Sir Frederic Kenyon ( He was also the president of the British Academy from 1917 to 1921) said: “The last foundation for any doubt that the Scriptures have come down to us substantially as they were written has now been removed.”—The Bible and Archaeology, pages 288, 289.

The Bible is also historically accurate and reliable. Its accounts are specific. They include not only the names but also the ancestry of individuals

The Bible contains specific names and details that can be confirmed. Consider some examples.

There are pictures and writing on a temple wall at Karnak, Egypt. They tell of the victory, almost 3,000 years ago, of Pharaoh Shishak over the kingdom of Judah during the rule of Solomon’s son Rehoboam. The Bible tells about the same event.—1*Kings 14:25,*26.

Look also at the Moabite Stone. The original can be seen in the Louvre Museum in Paris, France. The writing tells of the rebellion by King Mesha of Moab against Israel. This event is also reported in the Bible.—2*Kings 1:1; 3:4-27.

The Pool of Siloam and the entrance of a 1,749-foot-long (533-meter-long) water tunnel in Jerusalem are seen here at the far right. Many modern-day visitors to Jerusalem have waded through this tunnel. Its existence is further proof that the Bible is true. How so? Because the Bible explains that King Hezekiah had this tunnel built over 2,500 years ago to protect his water supply from an invading army.—2*Kings 20:20; 2*Chronicles 32:2-4,*30.

At the British Museum a visitor can see the Nabonidus Chronicle, a copy of which is seen to the right. It describes the fall of ancient Babylon, even as the Bible also does. (Daniel 5:30,*31) But the Bible says that Belshazzar was then king of Babylon. Yet the Nabonidus Chronicle does not even name Belshazzar. In fact, at one time all known ancient writings said that Nabonidus was Babylon’s last king. So some who said the Bible is not true claimed that Belshazzar never existed and that the Bible was wrong. But in recent years ancient writings have been found that identified Belshazzar as a son of Nabonidus and coruler with his father in Babylon at the time!

There is plenty of physical evidence to show the accuracy of modern translations as well as the the historical accuracy of the bible And thats not even mentioning the many prophecies that have come true, are currently being fulfilled on a grand scale and are yet to be.

So why not celebrate Jesus's birthday on its actual day? There is proof that religious holidays coincide with Pagan ones for conversion purposes. :shrug:

ive explained it quite clearly on the previous page. Including the non scriptutual basis for birthdays. Its Jesus death his followers are instructed to celebrate not his birth. It was his death that was important :)

Neither is in the bible.

ShanandBoc explained it perfectly.

Christmas is fun so does not bother me when or what is the exact date. Who is going to mind if you celebrate on the right/wrong day etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->