O/T kids sick in public pools....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by countryrider, Jun 4, 2011.

1. countryrider

countryrider Well-Known Member

I took our kids swimming today at our local pool, (their first day being open) and as I was sitting in the kiddy pool with my 3y/o. I noticed this young boy about the same age as mine playing away with TONS of snot oozing out of his nose. My kids have had runny noses before...but this kid had a runny nose sooooo bad and the mother just let him play anyways. I was so grossed out I got out immediatly and took my 3y/o to play withh is older siblings in the bigger pool. Few minutes later guess who followed us in!!!!! My gosh I was sooo grossed out. My hubby had mentioned something to a lady that worked there (as he didn't want to be the one to hurt her feelings) and they brought the mom lots of tissues to wipe his nose with. However she only did that once as soon as the tissues came. The rest of the time she let him play with snot hanging over his mouth and getting in the pool. I was mortified! I would not let my kids in the water like that. So we left the pool

Sorry about this rant, but it frustrated me. How would you moms to be handle that situation? And would you let your child in the pool with that bad of a runny nose?

2. RedString

RedString Well-Known Member

eeeeeewwww....
    though maybe the poor kid inhaled some water? :shrug:

3. countryrider

countryrider Well-Known Member

nope...definatly full blown snot! We kept an eye on where they were at in the pool so we could keep our distance...however walking by him on the cement he always had a huge runny nose.

4. Clarina1980

Clarina1980 LTTTC With PCOS

I would be embarrassed and would forever be wiping my kids nose, but maybe he wasn't ill, he could have hayfever or allergies so at the time time as being gross, is kinda sad to stop him doing the things the other kids are doing.

If he WAS ill, he shouldn't have been swimming with a cold anyway, could make it worse.

5. mommyof2peas

mommyof2peas Well-Known Member

I think if my kid were sick I would keep him home instead of going swimming. And although really NASTY, I dont think I would leave if it were another kid. I think that all the chemicals they use in the pool would kill off any germs. I mean just because you dont see it, people are peeing and other gross stuff in the pool as well. I think being able to look at it , just makes it that much more gross :)

6. DarlingMe

DarlingMe Well-Known Member

I know that chlorine chemicals from the pool bother me and make my nose run! Hopefully that was all it was, his nose was just irritated from the chemicals in the pool. If not hopefully the chemicals killed anything your LO might catch!

Either way you cant stop them from being exposed either now or when they start school. I cant believe how sick some kids are when they go to school, but so many people have to use school as day care and just cant call in. As long as you are teaching your LO to wash his hands and not share drinks, etc. hopefully you can keep him healthy! You think the mom would wipe his nose btw! Eww!

7. Palestrina

Palestrina Well-Known Member

I would have spoken to the Mom. I wouldn't be rude about it but I would say "would you mind providing tissues for your child? He seems to be suffering."