O/T Smoking ban sheltered areas?

Danielleee

Mummy to DD & Pregnant
Reaction score
Hiya just a quick question sorry if irrelevant, just wanting to know is it illegal to smoke under sheltered areas i.e outside a supermarket? Need to know to back up a complaint and can't find any thing online :flower: x

no i don't think it is - thats why all the pubs have built shelters

I think as long as it has either two or three open sides, its not illegal.

I think it depends how much of it has walls?

Bus shelters and sheltered pub smoking areas are usually just a roof held up by posts, with one or no walls. It's legal to smoke here.

Our local Tesco has a shelter for the trolleys in front of the entrance, which is "outside" in a way as its pavement and unheated, but it has glass walls on all sides with openings for doorways. There are clear no smoking signs. Our doctors has a 3 walled plastic shelter round the doorway which has no smoking in shelter signs.

I'm guessing as I don't know the law for sure. It could relate to the size or use or how many/long staff spend in there or something.

I think if its less than 75% enclosed its not illegal to smoke there.

It depends on how many walls there are, should be a sign saying no smoking if you cant

Should be illegal! My local tescos staff smoking area which is sheltered is NEXT to the mother and child parking- I love pushing my baby through a cloud of filthy cigarette smoke!! Grrrrr, nothing makes me angrier!

I think it should be illegal as well, my local hospital has the smoking shelter right adjacent to the windows/doors of children's A&E, absolute madness! They had to close the play area bit of the kids' A&E because of smoke blowing in. :( xx

Should be illegal! My local tescos staff smoking area which is sheltered is NEXT to the mother and child parking- I love pushing my baby through a cloud of filthy cigarette smoke!! Grrrrr, nothing makes me angrier!

I made a thread about this exact thing a while ago, I emailed and complained, customer services made the store manager call me up and appologuise I havent seen them there since. Why would they pick by mother and child parking :dohh:

I made a thread about this exact thing a while ago, I emailed and complained, customer services made the store manager call me up and appologuise I havent seen them there since. Why would they pick by mother and child parking :dohh:

Funnily enough that's what my complaint is about. I try my hardest to keep my baby away from smoke, really don't expect it when popping to the shops :nope: Smoke gets in our car too and sticks to fabrics, disgusts me.

I think it should be illegal as well, my local hospital has the smoking shelter right adjacent to the windows/doors of children's A&E, absolute madness! They had to close the play area bit of the kids' A&E because of smoke blowing in. :( xx

Weirdly at our hospital there is a smoking area right outside the maternity unit, and you have to walk straight past them either heavily pregnant and in labour, or back with a new born through the area.

As an ex smoker, im not massivly fussed by smoke, however that got right on my goat...

I think it also has to be a certain distance from the entrance if that helps

summerain - all hospitals round here have no smoking even in hospital grounds - some dickheads still do smoke but it is much better

Most hospitals now are non-smoking on the entire grounds. Also all train stations are non-smoking as well, even open air platforms.

I complained to the train company once as their tickets inspectors were smoking on the platform and at 7 months pregnant I had to walk through their smoke while they checked my ticket. The train company sent me a nice apology stating that all the inspectors on duty at that station at the time got official written warnings.

do you know what gets my goat? smoking in bus stops, which isnt allowed but god forbib they should stand in the wind and rain with their cigarette while my son has to because i dont want him breathing it in.

I agree that it should be. Drives me mad. What also annoys me is people who smoke in places they know full well they shouldn't i.e outside the hospital. Disgusting.

Not sure and tbh I dont think many places follow it anyway.

Our brand spanking new hospital is a non-smoking site, A&E staff will tell you to just pop outside the doors if you wish to smoke! and will also tell the nurses doctors that you will be back in a min if they call your name!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->