Off BC WTT AND TERRIBLE ACNE!

MrsMosi

Reaction score
Have been off BC since August (had been on for almost 10 years) and have had the WORST acne of my life. Not just white heads here and there but the painful deep ones all over my chin and smaller red ones all over my face/chest/back.

I didn't even have it this bad in my teens! ANY suggestions/ ideas would be welcomed (don't want to do any prescriptions though, trying to keep body Rx free since WTT).

Thanks all!

I totally empathize!!! I've battled acne for the last 17 years of my life. A great product I found was murad brand specifically for acne. It really does help. Proactiv is an expensive joke. And no prescriptions ever worked for me. Not the topical gels or benzoyl peroxide or the antibiotics.
My acne is hormone related. I have high androgen levels unfortunately.
Murad is the only thing that's really helped. But if you get pregnant they don't recommend using salycilic acid which is the active ingredient in their acne wash. The sulfur spot treatment is amazing. Really helps.

Thank you! The sulfur spot stuff did it smell funny? Also, I think mine might be hormonal as well, being as it directly started when I went off the pill. Is your high hormone level something you knew or were you told by someone other than a dermatologist? Ps. Congrats on the home birth, that's my plan too ;)

Awww thanks! :flower: it was amazing and I wouldn't trade it for the world!
The sulfur stuff I don't really smell it. I guess it has a faint smell. My husband says he can smell it if I use a lot but other than that no.
I had gone to a naturopathic doctor of my mothers and had a 24 hour urine sample done. And then a lab in TN tested it and it was the dhea levels that were high. Root hormone of testosterone. But those were normal. That was at 21 years old and before I used any bc. I don't know what my hormone levels are now. I'm 28. I also have other signs me hirstuism. Hair on areas that I don't want like my chin.
However my acne improved a lot while pregnant and even now it's better than its ever been. Who knew? I expected it to get worse because that would be typical for me but it didnt! I'm also still nursing a little so well see how things go.

Oh my goodness - I am the same!!

I definitely recommend tea tree oil. I use the body shop anti-imperfections tea tree gel 3 times a day on my blemishes and they usually disappear within a day or two. Plus it doesn't smell too bad, sting too much, and it's not too expensive (even cheaper would be to get a bottle from the chemist and use a ear bud)

I use a whole tea tree routine. Been suffering from horrible skin (well, not really terrible but constant breakouts) since I was about 11-12, so over half my life now. In the past 6 months it has really improved, I stopped my routine for a month and it was as bad as ever again.
I use Body Shop all the time. They do deal events where you get 40% off etc so I actually find it works out cheaper in the long run than supermarket brands!
I use tea tree exfoliating wash every second day, their foaming cleanser once a day, plus their pore minimiser under makeup and a night cream. I use the dab on oil on spots and it really dries them out. Once or twice a week, I use their three in one oat mask which really helps too. I need to use a nice moisturizer so I use their vitamin e or aloe, both are really gentle and help counteract all the harshness.
I need to use a really good makeup remover so I wash my face with their chamomile cleanser before I use the foamy stuff.
Also, your foundation might not be helping. I use clinique anti blemish foundation - this was the real turning moment for me - great coverage and actually helps spots! It is quite pricy (£22) but the bottle lasts quite well and it stays on your face all day.
It has taken me years to finally find a routine which works for me - if I stop even for a few days, my skin is as bad as ever!

My husband and I want to TCC in 2014. I am planning to get off the pill (ortho-tri-cyclen lo) in January. I am concerned about acne. I do break out on the pill (manageable though; it doesn't bother me), so I am very much concerned about how bad my skin will get when I am no longer taking it. I am sorry I do not have any advice, but I want to watch this thread to see how others are coping with it.

What birth control pill were you on previously?

My husband and I want to TCC in 2014. I am planning to get off the pill (ortho-tri-cyclen lo) in January. I am concerned about acne. I do break out on the pill (manageable though; it doesn't bother me), so I am very much concerned about how bad my skin will get when I am no longer taking it. I am sorry I do not have any advice, but I want to watch this thread to see how others are coping with it.

What birth control pill were you on previously?

I was on Necon 28 for almost 14 years......it has gotten a little better this month (4th month off BC)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->