OH asked to be godfather

He's doing something he doesn't necessarily believe in but because it's still supporting someone he loves. Personally I'd apply the same logic to your decision but it's your choice.

Thanks all for your advice.

I've decided to not be an awkward moo and I'm going to go and support him ... But he has promised to cross his fingers during the vows.

Lol cross his fingers :haha: made me giggle!

I don't understand why people get their children christened when they aren't religious either. It's so common! My friend had a naming ceremony for her little girl and they appointed 'guide parents' which was nice. It was all very relaxed and the guide parents each said a little something about the child, something like that I wouldn't mind but I don't know why a christening is so common. You don't see people really blessing their child to another religion in such ways for the sake of it when they don't 'believe', baffles me so I understand why you've been a bit confused over it all.

UPDATE: I went and supported him but I still think it was a waste of a Sunday and pointless.... he didn't even get to meet the baby that he was godparent to :dohh: the parents didn't join in with the hymns and were laughing throughout the ceremony (as well as extended family).

Wow so rude. How disrespectful to the church and the genuine Christians there trying to participate. I hope nobody was too offended, that's awful.

I don't really think it's your place to try and change the wording of the ceremony tbh. I know it makes you uncomfortable but ultimately it is about the baby, her parents and your partner. If you can't be there then that's your choice but I would just say I was ill or something for my partners sake.

What Tasha said, regardless of whether I agreed or not its not really about you. It isn't like you have to say anything, as long as your OH is fine with agreeing to it so be it, live and let live chick :flower:

I wouldn't not go though either because I didn't like it, I think telling your partner what you think is fine, but think you just need to leave it there.

Its a big thing being a godparent though, your OH must be chuffed xx

ETA: Just saw the update - I'm really glad you went xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"