Oh has an unpaid social bill.. Where do we stand?

hayz_baby

Mummy to 3 boys!
Reaction score
We randomly received a letter yesterday saying oh owes 31.93 to the social fund from 2006. They apparently wrote to him back in 2006 (they haven't given us the exact date of this) saying he still owes but at the time oh had no fixed abode. Oh can't actually remember this at all and it was before we were together. From what im understand google ha said that dwp debts can't be statute barred over 6 years.. But it can't b taken to court after 6 years but it can b taken off any future payments to us. Now £32 isn't nowhere near that bad.. Let's face it.. It could b worse! So in my mid I was just gonna send them a cheque tomorrow (don't get paid till fri) and b done with it but I decided to search where we stand and there doesn't seem to b a clear answer. I'm afraid they might start demanding more money from these ancient debts that we have no recollection of and that this payment means we acknowledge this payment when in effect we don't. We haven't rung them either to ask for further info as from what I've read they won't supply this proof it apparently has to be the other way round. (Prove we don't owe them) has anyone had this letter before? Is paying it the easiest way? Should we look into this more?
Thanks!

for the sake of £30 i would just pay it and be done with it

for the sake of £30 i would just pay it and be done with it

It's not the amount.. Like I said I was going to do this anyway but I'm afraid they might start demanding more money from us if we acknowledge this. I have read a few stories were someone has sent them the money.. Not had any confirmation and then received another letter from them wanting more. Where do u stand if u have acknowledged the first debt? What if they have made a mistake? They can't tell us the date on which oh has taken this social loan out and oh says he doesn't remember taking a loan out at that point in time. I guess we bed to talk to tem tomorrow but if someone has had this happen to them before i would b grateful to hear! X

I'd phone and ask a few questions before paying. It may only be £30 but if your DH doesn't remember it then you might as well look into it in case he doesn't really owe it at all

Send them a prove it letter, there is loads of info on moneysavingexpert :)

I'd definitely look into before paying if he doesn't remember.

They can't demand more money though, they can only bill you for what you owe, so unless he's had more loans they won't send more letters.

THey should be able to give you more information. The dap system will show when the loan was taken out etc and they should be able to give you that if you call them. If they won't answer the question then send a letter to the social fund section asking for more clarification before you are prepared to pay it.

When/If you do pay it i would take the cheque into your local office and ask them to provide proof that you have given the cheque over to them.

The DWP won't suddenly 'find' more loans if you acknowledge this one, unless there are any, as the computer system doesn't allow for it to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->