Oh just wont listen! Still on about sending DD to NZ!!

Just to try clear up some of the confusion - in Canada one parent can apply for the passport but both are supposed to sign the application form. In the UK its slightly different. If not married the mother can apply for the passport on her own whether the father is on the birth certificate or not. The father cannot. If married (or they were married when LO was born) then both parents have to sign the form.
Its hard to keep track of all these changing rules!

There is no way I would let anybody take any of my children (not even DD who is 8) to the other side of the world. That's crazy - I can't believe she thought you'd be okay about it!

I did take my DD and DS1 to Spain for a week with my mother back in 2008. DH was working and couldn't get time off. I didn't need to show any signed consent from him at the airport or anything. Obviously he HAD consented, but I had no proof of it, and nobody asked.

Absolutely not i wouldn't allow it. I hope OH and MIL back down. x

Just to try clear up some of the confusion - in Canada one parent can apply for the passport but both are supposed to sign the application form. In the UK its slightly different. If not married the mother can apply for the passport on her own whether the father is on the birth certificate or not. The father cannot. If married (or they were married when LO was born) then both parents have to sign the form.

Me and DH are married and we didn't both need to sign so that isn't right.

Your OH needs a reality check I think!

Only one person is required to sign the passport application for a child in the UK. I know, I just did it.

OP - just tell them no? I don't understand all the secrets and blurred lines. Just a few words....She's not going. Sorted.

Me and DH are married and we didn't both need to sign so that isn't right.

Your OH needs a reality check I think!

ok then the government websites are giving the wrong information. My bad.
Personally I do think both parents should have to sign. One of the reasons why many countries have changed this rule is because of the instances of one parent taking the child away without the knowledge of the other one.

UK government website (gov.uk) appears to suggest if unmarried only the mother can apply, but if married (or divorced but married at time of birth) either parent can apply. Unless there is a more complex parental responsibility situation, which in your case there presumably isn't.

Omg no way would I allow it!!! Why didnt you say something? By not saying anything you have probably made them think its okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->