OH says this site is 'bad for me' lol

LittleMum

Mum to 22 mth old and ttc
Reaction score
He said this with DD too.
He reckons that sites like this cause you to look too much into things and worry that uncommon things that happen to people on here start you worrying they can happen to you. I suppose kind of like when something terrible happens to a close friend and its no longer something that just happens to someone you knows friend of a friend of a friend.

I find this site very supportive, throughout my whole first pregnancy, ttc baby number 2 and these early days of 2nd pregnancy.

I can kind of see his point though, does anyone else ever think this??

Well I find this site very supporting. I'm 10 weeks and 5 days. And the OH and myself won't be telling anyone until 13 weeks! We want our first scan at 12 weeks to be done first and have the Ultrasound pictures to show everyone.:) Without this site, I wouldn't know what to do.

I have a love hate relationship with it. My hubby doesn't like me on here either. I feel like it is supportive and helpful...but it does also put some scary ideas in my head. But I am totally admittedly addicted!

My hubby likes that I have people to talk to about all this pregnancy stuff so that's not all I talk about when I am with him. We have 4 other pregnant people in his family I could commiserate with, but we haven't told them yet, so I neeeeeeeed pregnant people to talk to :)

Sometimes though, you're right, it makes me a little hypochondriac-ish. "But what if this happens like it did to so-and-so!?"

My Dh thinks that it can be good to talk to others about any concerns I have, but even I have to admit that it gets frustrating to see some of the horror stories on here. For example. I found out yesterday my progesterone has been slowly dropping so I'm now on a suppliment. I looked on here for past stories and while most were positive, the one or two negative ones got to me. My progesterone is 18! That isn't even bad LOL. You have to take everything with a grain of salt on here, and sometimes actually walk away from the computer because sometimes its just too many negative stories.

I have a love/hate relationship with BnB too. I found that sometimes the 1st trim can be a bit full of worry and I only pop in once in awhile otherwise I get paranoid.

The baby club was really helpful and the 3rd Trim made me chuckle. The natural parenting is OK in small doses.

I do hate the "rants" about he said/she said things and sometimes I do feel that there is a lot pressure to become a SAHM, to BF, to cook food for the baby yourself, cosleep etc... and that there is not so much support for working moms who don't have the choice/time to do all that. There were times it felt a bit like "do this or you are a bad mom" but when you are a new mom you really don't need the stress and you need to listen to your instincts.

I also found that a lot of the practices encouraged in BnB didn't really reflect what the moms in my entourage were doing. So I did stalk a lot on BnB but I also asked around my colleagues (guys as well) and friends about their experiences.

I think he likes like I'm informed about things and do my research on things so he doesn't need to think of things, lol. He likes that I have support and don't talk non stop baby, children etc to him too.

With me I've learned to not look at certain posts mostly in 1st tri, especially lately with my huge lack of symptoms and so many sad loss posts it was doing my thoughts no good but now we've had a good scan I went back to reading and contributing to different posts :)

I like the fact that there is a wide range of countries and experience on here though :)

I think its a good thing to be well informed of things, especially when they are happening to your body and to your children.

I do think that its important to take the information gained from a forum and look up that information from valid sources. I'm not gonna take anything any one of you says as being correct other than your own opinions, but I will go away and look up that piece of information.

Surely it better to know the bad things that can happen so you can prepare and prevent them? As long as you understand the actual risk of something happening you won't worry too much.

My OH has said maybe it's not the best thing to be on this site. He thinks that it makes me worry more, but I feel it just makes me aware. and I always tell him you guys are the only ones apart from himself who really understand how i feel and what I'm going through. I think he has a pro's and con's opinion of me being on the site.

My hubby says that he see that I worry too much. For instance, when DD was in NICU for various reasons he asked me not to come on here because he was scared I might loos it with all the advise give. Which is true, you get a lot of ladies that will give support, but somewhere somebody will post something that will just make you more worry. I did find the support and knowledge helpful during my first pregnancy and my loss with my second pregnancy. So I also do have a love hate relationship. I am scared when I read about some of the ladies's complications or losses, but then on the other hand we have just as much support if not more.

My DH thinks I can get a little addicted to BnB but I don't think it really bothers him. In fact, when Max was born I learnt so much from the ladies in Baby Club I don't know what I would have done without them. I actually remember my DH advising me to "ask the girls on BnB", if I was ever stressed out about something when Max was newborn because he knew I often felt better after I did.

I get what some of you are saying about First Tri though it can sometimes make you worry more when you hear bad news. However, I think it's still good to be around to support the ladies that may be suffering from complications etc. I expect coming here can be a sanctuary for them and a place to talk openly about their feelings. I like to think if I ever had problems during my pregnancy, there would plenty of people here to talk to about it.

X

This site is bad for me, I can lose hours of my day reading!

And, I allow certains things to really annoy me too so I guess that isn't good for my blood pressure :)

And, I allow certains things to really annoy me too so I guess that isn't good for my blood pressure :)

There's always the same arguments over and over. I avoid BF v FF, circumcision, Natural v c-section, CIO/CC, ear piercing, BLW v TW, and so on threads now.... unless its to sneak in and say something sarcastic to stupid people. Its always the same arguments over and over and over.

This website have truly been my life saver through my infertility and loss (as has twitter) I can understand where he's coming from but I find it more helpful than unhelpful.

x

I also agree that it can be mixed blessings!! I've found I know loads more about pregnancy through this site this time around, BUT I've also had loads more to worry about! It certainly opens your eyes to everything that possibly CAN go wrong, and at such a hormonal and vulnerable time, it can be hard to keep all the sad stories in their correct perspective.

Overall, I think it's a massively helpful forum, if you can manage to not get too obsessed or anxious over the negatives :) xxxxxxxx

There's always the same arguments over and over. I avoid BF v FF, circumcision, Natural v c-section, CIO/CC, ear piercing, BLW v TW, and so on threads now.... unless its to sneak in and say something sarcastic to stupid people. Its always the same arguments over and over and over.

I avoid those too. It's more stuff like having the same 7 threads posted every day 'I got my BFP 2 hours ago and don't have symptoms', 'I'm 5 weeks pregnant and do or do not have a baby bump', 'It might be twins even though I've had 42 scans already', 'clearblue digital says I'm having an alien' etc etc. I've stopped replying to them because I'm sick of repeating myself which isn't really helpful to anyone.

This forum is much nicer and much more supportive than every other forum I've ever used :)

I must say its changed a lot since I had DD. I remember back then the hormones in first tri were sooooo high and there was quite a bit of bitchyness / negativity flying around.
Much more friendly and supportive now

i know people who have had very bad experiences on this site with bullying. but it was from a select few member back 2012. she told me not to come here but i have, i will make my own judgement and i have seen alot of support more so than the bad things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->