Ok either I did it wrong or I dont like cloth nappies

LuckySalem

2 daughters
Reaction score
Used a cloth nappy today (terri's) and it only lasted an hour and when I took it off her she had these horrid red marks around her belly and legs.

Either I've put it on wrong or I just don't like this.

What type/brand did u use? You will need a cover for terries; I presume you did use one? If so it might just need boosting. As for the red marks is the nappy or wrap on too tight?

Its just a boring terry nappy with plastic knickers. The marks were from the knickers.
Whats boosting?

I don't have any experience with terry nappies I'm afraid but it does sound like it might have been on a bit too tight. Have you tried any other brands?

Boosting is adding extra inserts to increase absorbancy. You could try a different type of cover or wrap too.

I can't afford any other brands. I seriously do NOT have a penny to my name until next month and even then I dont have enough to buy a whole new set of nappies.

I can't afford any other brands. I seriously do NOT have a penny to my name until next month and even then I dont have enough to buy a whole new set of nappies.

Sounds like the plastic pants are too tight for her; if u've got no pennies atm i recommend u try to save whatever u can eventually and buy some second hand ones from members on this forum (there's a section on top) there's also other websites but here you'll get the best advice and nappies are in better condition as ppl here care for their nappies lol. It really is worth the investment in comparison to disposables and u'll save loads of cash in the long run.

Boosting is adding extra inserts to increase absorbancy. You could try a different type of cover or wrap too.

So like 2 terry cloths inside one plastic pant?

that would be too bulky; a booster is thinner than a terry - I recommend you go for Bamboo ones as they're more absorbent in my experience.

we tried terrys with my 1st son and we hated them so gave up as we didnt realise that there are so many types of nappies out there. the pants might be a bit tight, try the next size up, also the cloth swap and sell section is good here and you could build up your stash slowely :flower:

How come Terries used to work for my mum etc then? lol

I'll have a look into some others then slowly.

How come Terries used to work for my mum etc then? lol

I'll have a look into some others then slowly.

I used terries and they worked for us but I was using Cotton Bottom wraps and they worked fine for us for a good yr; don't think they do those anymore though not sure but you could use wraps from Tots Bots etc with them. Or if your baby gets marked easily you could always go for wool covers (such as Disana) - I love them; they don't need washing as often but they need to be handwashed (and lanolised every so often) but worth the hassle really; I recommend you have a google about them and see if they could work for u - as u'll need much less wraps as they don't get washed often they'd work out much cheaper too.

But surely if they're wool they'll get wet and haveto be washed alot?
Also (sorry if this is dull) whats lanolise?

Can I ask too - I'm loving the pics of the cloth bums but what doyou do when you go out? Ie: have to wear trousers cos I don't see how I could get trousers over these things, they seem to just be a big lump! lol

I think Terry nappies tend to be quite bulky. The ones I use are pretty trim and fit fine under clothes except for ones like Little Lamps which she'd just wear with a dress and pretty wrap.

There are lots of different types of folds you can use with Terrys and I wonder would that help with absorbancy. For example my LO wets mainly at the front so she would probably suit a boy fold instead of a girl one. My dad says our terry nappies used to leak until they really got the hang of the folds and they made sure they were tucked in or something around the legs.

terries are a little bit bulkier than a modern cloth nappy. i find clothes fit fine over them. i just take a wetbag out with me in my change bag so i can bring the dirty nappies home.

Right ok,
Gosh this is hard work! Why can't it be simpler? lol

what folds are you using? there are some folds that increase absorbency in the middle and make it slimmer at the sides.

the nappy lady has loads of diagrams on their site.

all I know is put the terry cloth in a triangle, pull one up, the sides over and then the other up! lol

No idea what fold that is! haha

pm me your address chick ive got a couple of size 1 wraps that should do ya :), better than the plastic nickers xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->