Olbas oil & pregnancy!

boobee

1 DD/Expecting No 2
Reaction score
I went to the doctors last week as I've got a stinking cold, she said standard paracetamol is fine to take and advised me to put a few drops of olbas oil in a bowl of hot water and to do some steaming. I thought I'd just have a look online and EVERYWHERE I've read had said it shouldn't be used during pregnancy and that most pharmacists won't sell it in pregnancy?!?

Have I been told wrong and been using it when I shouldn't?!?!?

pretty much everything says that it shouldnt be used unless under medical advisement. this doesn't mean it isn't safe, it means they can't prove that it is (as its ethically dubious to test products on pregnant woman)
i personally don't feel that a few drops in water will cause harm (esp as doctor says so) so i will use it but you need to decide for yourself

since youre in the uk, when you feel you might be getting a cold - gargle with TCP several times a day to kill the nasties in your throat, and do a nasal saline rinse. if you do this at the first signs of a scratchy throat you can often prevent it turning into a cold! (i always recommend this, people must think i work for them haha)

I've been using on my pillow the last few nights. Don't really see why it would be a problem. It's not as if its being ingested :shrug:

You could always pick up a children's olbas oil if you're worried at all - I haven't sat and compared the two but if it is safe for under 2s I can't believe there are any nasties in it.

That said, we're pretty much running on the stuff at the moment - both adult and child versions. Too many germs about!

Vicks vapour rub I sleep with it next to me :) forever putting it on and smelling it lol x

It's only eucalyptus and tea tree. It's fine.
There's a weaker version for children/babies so it can't be harmful.

I've just checked the box on my bottle of olbas oil - it says 'it's best not to take any non-essential medication when pregnant or breast feeding, ask your doctor or pharmacist for advice'. Personally, I don't class olbas oil as 'medication' - you're breathing it in rather than ingesting it. The other side of the box says 'olbas oil is a mixture of essential pure plant oils' - I highly doubt it's going to be harmful to your baby. If your doctor has suggested it, it's probably going to be the safest option!
Obviously it's your own personal choice, personally, I'm struggling far too much with my cold to not use it! The nurse I saw double checked everything in her medical dictionary thing, I'm going to trust her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->