** Old Wives' Tales **

mizzk

=]
Reaction score
I was just reading some old wives' tales which i found quite entertaining! Thought i'd share them with you all, feel free to add your own...

Pregnancy has a certain mystique. Millions of women have been through it, yet almost every woman's experience is different. Perhaps that's why so many myths, have formed and survived over the centuries. Here's the truth behind them:

1. The old heartburn myth
If a pregnant woman frequently experiences heartburn, her baby will have a full head of hair. Simply not true. Some babies have hair, some don't. Most lose it all within a few weeks, anyway.

2. The umbilical cord strangulation myth
If a pregnant woman lifts her hands above her head, she will choke the baby. Give us a break. People used to think (and, alas, some still believe) that the mother's movement could cause the baby to become tangled in the umbilical cord, but that's just not true.

3. The curse myth
Anyone who denies a pregnant woman the food that she craves will get a sty in his eye. Nope. This myth doesn't mean that someone who stands between a pregnant woman and her cravings is in the clear, though: he will most certainly be subjected to threats, name-calling, or icy glares.

4. The heart rate myth
If the foetal heart rate is fast, the baby is a girl. If the heart rate is slow, it's a boy. Medical researchers actually looked into this myth. They did find a very slight different between the average heart rate of boys and that of girls, but it wasn't significant enough to make heart rate an accurate predictor of sex.

5. The ugly stick myth
If a pregnant woman sees something ugly or horrible, she will have an ugly baby. How could this possibly be true? There's no such thing as an ugly baby!

6. The coffee myth
If a baby is born with cafe au lait spots (light-brown birthmarks), the mother drank too much coffee or had unfulfilled cravings during pregnancy. Nope.

7. The great sex myth
Interestingly, this may be one of the few myths with a grain of truth in it. Love-making can stimulate your body to produce the hormone oxytocin, which can help your cervix ripen in readiness for labour. Your partner's semen also contains hormones called prostaglandins, which can cause contractions.

8.Craving Something…Sweet?
Many people believe that your cravings are caused by the sex of your baby. So, if you can't get enough chocolate, you could be having a girl. Does the idea of drinking straight lemon juice sound delicious to you? Then those sour cravings are a result of the little boy inside of you. However, if you go by the scientists, then some of them will claim that you're not even having cravings because cravings just don't exist.

9.Weight Gain
Thankfully, this one doesn't refer to your weight gain. The belief is that, if your husband puts on weight during your pregnancy, then you will be having a girl. If he doesn't put on a pound, then you're carrying a boy.

10.Is Her Face Round and Full?
Some say that the shape and fullness of your face during pregnancy can indicate your baby's sex. Every woman gains weight differently during pregnancy, and every woman experiences different skin changes. If people tell you that because your face is round and rosy you are having a girl, they might be right - but it's just as likely that they are wrong!

xoxoxoxo Kayleigh xoxoxoxo​

PMSL @ number 3

I think they'd be more likely to get a black eye than a stye :rofl:

Lol, very funny.

And beware shawls when your baby is born - your child can lose a finger in it's soft, wool weave. So my gran said. As she handed me her hand made shawl. What? Did she want my newborn son to lose his fingers!?

a baby that's born in its cawl will never drown

I was born in mine, but I still took the precaution of learning to swim lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"