'Older Mums' buddies thread!

ellie

Mum to Kalden
Reaction score
Hey ladies,
Not sure if this has been tried before or not! i had been a part of the ttc 30's/40's thread and it was great chatting to others of similar age (I'm currently 36) - although it's fab chatting to everyone of course, I have 'extra' issues about being the wrong side of 30 and especially with my first ...! Just wondering whether anyone was due around autumn time this year ?

Apologies if there's already any thread of this nature, I must have missed it :blush:

Hey I'm 35 and due Nov 3 with my second child after a gap of 16 years lol! :hug:

Thanks hun, it was a bit of a shock I can tell you! But now that we've got our heads round it, we're getting really excited :D

Feel free to PM me if you ever wanna chat n stuff ok? xXx

Hi Ellie,
I'm 34 tomorrow and pregnant with my first. I had been very worried about TTC and thought it would have taken ages especially because I was on BCP for about 15 years, but it actually happened really quickly! So I feel a bit better about the 'over 30' thing now. Although I do wonder if probably tiredness etc. is worse than if we were younger.

HI there, I am due in August so don't really fit the bill but I am an older mum (40 this year) and would love to chat to other 'oldies' LOL

hi guys! it's nice to see there's a few of us!
to me it feels a bit strange to be pregnant 'at this age', when most of my friends have already had babies years ago. as this is our first it was also starting to feel like people were no longer expecting us to have babies if you know what i mean?
i am feeling tired and lazy but I usually do anyway!
golcarlilly we can pick your brains about being in 1st tri hahah! How do you feel at the moment? Do you think the symptoms / tiredness were worse this time?
It's very early for me I know but I am concerned about how I will cope with the sleepless nights and changes that a baby will bring ... although I'm really looking forward to it, me and OH have had a loooong time doing what we want when we want .... also both our jobs are very busy, especially his, and not sure how much he will adjust as he's building his career / reputation up really well at the moment. i worry that it might be a really hard adjustment for both of us and I'm not sure I've got much support around me apart from him. I know that doesn't apply to those of you who already have kids but what do you think about adjusting to the new routine?

Also who's trying to stay fit? (so many questions! there'll probably be more about tests, risks, all that sort of thing! I get annoyed when people quote that wonderful statistic that risks massively increase as soon as you have your magic 35th birthday but I'm not so sure it's so generalisable really...)

Oh and polaris happy birthday for tomorrow!

Hi Ellie,
I totally know what you mean about not knowing how we will cope with the changes that a baby will bring. To be honest I don't know if it's really hit home to me yet that we will have a baby by Christmas (all going well, fingers crossed). Myself and OH tend to be very spur-of-the-moment people and that is all going to change obviously and things will have to be planned around the baby. I am lucky that OH only works part-time so he is planning to take on quite a bit of responsibility for child-care, ideally I would also like to organize reduced working hours such as a 4 day week after maternity leave but I'm not sure whether that will be possible. At the moment I have quite a long commute to work so I don't know how I will cope with that. On the other hand I don't think I would like to stay at home full-time as I do enjoy work and have worked hard to build up my career. But we will just have to cross that bridge when we come to it - on the other hand we don't really have the same kind of 'party' lifestyle that we would have done in our 20s so maybe from that point of view it will be easier to adjust?

Keeping fit - yes. I am generally pretty active and I need to exercise as much to stay sane as for my physical health. I generally do a couple of hours yoga once or twice a week and also jogging about 3 times a week. I am still trying to keep up with both. The yoga is a little bit awkward because obviously I had to tell the instructor that I am pregnant as there are certain positions that are not recommended. That was fine but the problem is that a good friend of mine who I haven't told yet also attends the class. I really don't want to tell her yet as she is a self-confessed gossip and the world would know. But I'm sure she is beginning to get suspicious as to why I am not doing certain postures. The jogging is also a bit of an issue - my doctor said that she would not really recommend running as it is a high impact sport - I really don't want to give it up though so I have just reduced the intensity and am taking it pretty easy - I'm pretty sure this is OK because I would have been running regularly before I got pregnant. I did give it up completely for the first couple of weeks but was missing it too much!!

Sorry - long waffle!!

I would say I have felt a lot more tired this time round, I go to bed at nine most nights!! I like being pregnant a lot more though, I just find it so fascinating what my body is doing and I am totally obsessed with my growing bump - I think I was more concerned with how much weight I was gaining last time (when I was 23) than I am now!

It will be a massive change in lifestyle for us too, my DD is 15 and spends half the week at her Dad's so we have a lot of 'us' time whereas when LO arrives we won't get a minute!! I work full time atm too and I am going to take at least 9 months mat leave then go back part-time so that will be a bit change too (a very welcome one I might add cos I am soooo bored of my job LOL)

Having had my daughter at 18 and now another on the way at 35, I gotta say it feels completely different this time around. I'm actually fitter now than I was then (was a lazy 18 year old lol!) and I really felt crappy then. My symtpoms were alot worse than they are now, but then again, I was oblivious to the first few weeks of symptoms thinking that I was run down lol!
I feel great at the moment altho I do feel very tired. My job invovles alot of walking around (I'm an online shopper for a large supermarket chain) I do other people's shopping all day lol! My poor feet and back are really suffering atm so it's been plenty of warm bubble baths over the last few weeks :D Nothing like indulgence eh!

Just like Golcarlilly, I work full time and intend on taking the maximum mat leave and then go back part time. We'll have to see how the cash goes to be honest. I might have to go back full time and leave OH as a stay at home husband. He has Multiple Sclerosis and doesnt work so it'll all depend on how he copes wiv the new baby.

I'm really nervous this time around and of course I'm having to start all over again as I dont have ANY baby stuff left over from my first pregnancy (I'm a hoarder but I aint that bad lmao!!) and as you've all said, it's gonna be a massive change in lifestyle. My daughter will be 17 when the baby's born and she's been pretty much independant for a good year or so now, which has meant I've had my own indepedance too.... so that'll go out the window!!! Gaaaahhh!!! I cant bloody wait lol! xXx

Mynx I am so jealous of your job!! that would honestly be heaven to me, I LOVE supermarket shopping, when my DD was little I worked on the checkout at Morrisons and if we were quiet we sometimes had to help disabled people or OAPs do their shopping and I loved it! How did you get the job?

I found it online :) I work for Sainsburys and was job hunting last year and came across the vacancy their website. Applied and sent my CV and got called in for an "interview" of sorts then got the job :D I do enjoy it, altho the walking is really taking it's toll on me atm! God knows how I'll be at 8 months waddling around the aisles lol!!

Hi Ellie, glad I found your thread! I am 36 and am due with my first one on the 28th of Nov (according to my own calculations only, meeting the midwife next week). I only found out last Friday, so still very very excited!! Symptoms so far are a little bit of constipation (don't think I have seen that anywhere else on all the forums I have checked out tonight - is it only me!?!), thirsty and a bit more hungry than usual. Desperately want to go out mountain biking properly again, but seems like the best advice is to take it easy for another couple of weeks.... long walks will do for now. What pregnancy books are you all reading if any? I bought 'Your Pregnancy Bible' and 'The Best Friends Guide to Pregnancy' on Saturday and they are both very good. The latter one made me laugh so much, really funny but also informative!

A bit nervous about work next week as I will be spending a couple of nights in a hotel with colleagues and they will all start wondering why I am not having the usual glass of red with dinner....! Arrrghh!

Time for bed now I think - yawn... might be another symptom!! :)

M1M1 constipation is a common unfortunate symptom of pregnancy, I have started eating prunes in an attempt to combat it!! Raging thirst is another, especially in first tri, I never stopped drinking (and peeing) and was constantly dying of thirst, it is apparently whilst your blood volume increases and the amniotic fluid is made :)

I gotta say I've been parched too! Constantly drinking.. work are really good about it and let me carry around a bottle of juice with me while I'm doing the shopping hehe :D And I can nip off anytime I need for a pee :p
As for constipation.. I've always been a bit like that anyways. I have IBS and I'm often prone to bouts of constipation so it's nothing new for me heh.

Hope you girls are all well and feeling good today!

:hug:

OOh IBS that can't be much fun! I hate being constipated I was pre-pregnancy very regular (every morning without fail) sorry tmi :blush: :rofl:

I am so bored today, roll on five o'clock! I had my mw appt today, my own mw was off sick so got an older lady who was really nice, I got to hear the hb for the first time and it was lovely!! All is well with me too so am really pleased, next appt is not for another 7 weeks :shock: is anyone else only having a few appts? I don't think it is fair really I mean I know it is my second pg but it is so long since my first I think it should be treated as my first cos I have forgotten everything!!!

Hey all :) Just cooking dinner atm lol, cod in butter sauce with mash and greens.. yummy! lots of good iron in there :D

Anyways, how is everyone doing today? xXx

Hello ladies, can I join in please?

I'm expecting my first baby at the start of November (by my calculation, don't see a midwife for weeks yet) ... and I'll be 40 by then! My life has changed totally in the last few months, I have a new partner and a new home, and I'm still getting to grips with all these changes!

Luckily the pregnancy hasn't had too bad an effect, other than the tiredness, I'm lucky in not having been sick or anything. I'm surprised my local medics (GP & midwife) aren't bothered by my age, there seems to be no hurry to see me, so I'm relying on my instincts to tell me if anything goes wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->